ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock hood scoop seems to be designed diverting air into the back side of an intercooler without diverting air directly into the intercooler. Has anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
russ said:
I have a splitter. Check I rate club. I bought mine for $25. I works very well.

russ
where did you buy yours from?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why Subaru engineers design Hood Scoop like that? Air is not divered directly to intercooler... as long as a mesh or some kind of protectant cover on the intercooler is used, I think it is definitely a must mod for WRX.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
sceptic checking in.

i'm still waiting on some wind tunnel tests to proves this isn't a gimmick mod. there hasn't been one peice of congruent proof that this is even a problem with the stock setup.

otherwise, who's to say you're not diverting air away from the hottest part of the core? and the fact that john H's picture posted above shows it all crooked makes me believe more and more that his is just a money making scheme. i don't even think that the people making them have proof they are doing anything productive.

don't believe everything you read on the web.

dR

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
rex,

I bought mine from a guy on I-club. $25 delivered and it's not crooked. It's almost an exact copy of the duffguard. In fact, I bought it long before Dugffguard brought theirs out. If I can dig up the guy's email, I'll send it to you.

russ

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I met up with Weasel555 yesterday at an autocross and he said after installing his STi scoop and splitter, his EGTs fell about 30 degrees. That sounds pretty functional to me.

But then again, he has a new turbo, injectors, etc, etc.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
junaitari said:
If the stock setup isn't getting air directly to the IC, then how come I have a bunch of smashed up bugs all over my IC?
Excellent point. My debris and bug damage is uniformly distributed over the IC, with a little more in the back. I'm definitely getting a screen if I get another IC.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Here's an excellent thread on i-club written by WRX1 about his own homemade "tests" on the splitter measuring intake temperatures as they left the intercooler:

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173605&highlight=splitter

WRX1 said:
Well, I broke down and bought the Autometer intake air temp guage, and installed it over the weekend. I have only had it in the car a couple of days, and have come up with some basic numbers, but later in the week I am going to start switching out parts. Currently I have the STI scoop, and a home made air diverter. I have one temp probe in the pass side intercooler intake elbow, and I have the other probe in the bottom close to the the opening. Today was 89-91 outside, and I was getting 140-160 before the intercooler and 90-100 after the intercoolor. I was getting results close to the same 50-60 degree drop in the morning and later Sat night when it was coolor. I am going to take out the diverter and give it a try for a day or two, and then drop down to the stock scoop to see how that reacts.

As for on boost, I am just running the stock turbo with mbc and stock exhaust. I have a uppie on the way, and I have samco hoses to install also. As soon as the turbo starts to get close to generating boost the pre-intercooler probe starts to go up, and today (90 degrees out), at full boost (14.5-15 psi) I could only get about 225-230 degrees out of it. Post intercooler would go up, but it took alot longer for the temp to go up.
WRX1 said:
Well, I think the intercooler is doing a pretty good job. It is keeping the post turbo air at (or close to) ambient temps. Just from my driving around, I was averaging about 5-10 degrees over outside air temp (post intercooler). I don't think thats to bad considering that I still have stock exhaust, so there are 2 cats that will keep the under hood temp kinda high (not to mention the turbo). This weekend I am going to run my scan tool and my meter (has a VERY accurate temp guage on it), and try to monitor the diferences between all the temps. I am also going to try putting the stock scoop back on with no diverter, just to see what happens, and then add a piece at a time to get some data.

I had a chance to do a spirited run and came up with some interesting info, I have my mbc set to about 14.5-15 psi. I was at a complete stop, and I just mashed the gas (have an auto), and the pre intercooler temp only went up to about 215-220 and kinda peaked out there. I ran it up till about 115-120 on the speedo and the post intercooler temp never went over 125, but it was starting to rise a bit. As soon as I let off the gas, the pre and post emp probes droped right back down to a normal temp in less than 5 seconds. I guess it is hard to expain without seeing the guage and how they react to throttle and boost.
WRX1 said:
I have been playing with the stock scoop and the diverter, and the only thing I have noticed is that the sti scoop and diverter combo actually drops the temps faster than the stock scoop. Now its not a huge time difference, but it is there (maybe 15-30 seconds longer). Once the car is running up to speed (doesn't really matter what speed), the post intake temps drop down to or very close to ambient temp (with 5-8 degrees warmer).
WRX1 said:
Also, I noticed about a 10-15 degree drop in the pre-intercooler probe now that I have the samco y-pipe on. Once it warms up a little (recieved about 3 inches of SNOW yesterday), we will have to see how things work out.
WRX1 said:
As for the cooling, it has warmed up a bit the past few days, and started watching temps again. From what I have noticed, cruising the freeway, it doesn't matter what combo you have, post intercooler temps are about the same (as close as I can tell on the guage). Now, the bigest difference I have see is on how quickly it cools the intercooler down. I had some stops to make the other day (about 65 outside), and at one of my stops I was there for about 15-20 min. In the mean time the intercooler was getting heat soaked from just sitting, once I got back into my car and started driving the temps were at 125 post intercooler. It took me .7 mile to cool back down to the 65-70 degree mark at 45 mph. I know that with the stock scoop and no diverter it would have taken longer to cool off. Now the I have the complete samco hoses installed, my pre-intercooler temps are about 10-15 degrees cooler, which makes the post intercooler temps about ambient temps (within 5 degrees instead of 10 or so).
WRX1 said:
As for the cooling, it has warmed up a bit the past few days, and started watching temps again. From what I have noticed, cruising the freeway, it doesn't matter what combo you have, post intercooler temps are about the same (as close as I can tell on the guage). Now, the bigest difference I have see is on how quickly it cools the intercooler down. I had some stops to make the other day (about 65 outside), and at one of my stops I was there for about 15-20 min. In the mean time the intercooler was getting heat soaked from just sitting, once I got back into my car and started driving the temps were at 125 post intercooler. It took me .7 mile to cool back down to the 65-70 degree mark at 45 mph. I know that with the stock scoop and no diverter it would have taken longer to cool off. Now the I have the complete samco hoses installed, my pre-intercooler temps are about 10-15 degrees cooler, which makes the post intercooler temps about ambient temps (within 5 degrees instead of 10 or so).
WRX1 said:
Today is was raining, and I recieved some good info. Water spray kits are worth it!! I was running about 10 degrees COLDER than ambient temps crusing down the freeway. I was running about (at wot, 16psi) 215 pre, and 45 post intercooler at 50 degree ambient temp. Once I let off (around 120 or so), it took .3 miles to cool off the post probe back down to 40 degrees. I also got stuck in a little traffic, and the intercooler took a LONG time to start warming up (like 10 plus minutes of idling), and once we got moving again, the temp dropped right back down. So It looks like I am going to have to really get my spray kit up and running by this weekend and try it out in some dry weather to see if I can get the same results.
WRX1 said:
Say with am ambient temp of 65 (fictional scenerio) and crusing the freeway at 70mph. My pre intercooler temp would probably be around 110-120 and the post intercooler temp would be 65-70. Now, say I go wot up till 120mph. Pre would be about 220-230 and post would only go up to 80 or so. As soon as I let off and start costing, the pre will drop right back down, but the post will stay about the same until I get back on the gas to maintain the 70mph. Then it will drop right back down to the 65-70 (less than .2 miles). The only thing I have seen that will lower the post temps below ambient is driving in the rain (I assume I will get close to the same resualts with the water spray kit). The post temp doesn't change very fast, but the pre jumps aroung like the boost guage.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Originally posted by WRX1
I have been playing with the stock scoop and the diverter, and the only thing I have noticed is that the sti scoop and diverter combo actually drops the temps faster than the stock scoop.
Thank you, captain obvious. j/k :D

I think the STi scoop will show a much larger gain from a splitter. I suppose it will help the stock scoop too, but not nearly as much.

I'll be going to a bigger scoop before I bother with an air diverter.

-Jim

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

Thank you, captain obvious. j/k :D

I think the STi scoop will show a much larger gain from a splitter. I suppose it will help the stock scoop too, but not nearly as much.

I'll be going to a bigger scoop before I bother with an air diverter.

-Jim
that's what i would extrapolate from that also. i must admit, i'm surprised a teh diff in temps with the water spray.

dR

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
dark_rex said:
that's what i would extrapolate from that also. i must admit, i'm surprised a teh diff in temps with the water spray.

dR
H2O = world's most abundant and mysterious coolant

Water is the reason life exists on earth. The reason why is somewhat mysterious.

-Jim

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
WHERE did you get a splitter for $25??? can you post a link or something....I'd be very interested in getting one.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Instead of using water i am planning on using a NOS Wet setup only to spray my intercoolers face.
people say that they can take 30 clean HP and that is a lot without harming the engine.
IS this a good way to go??
wich setup of NOS to Buy??
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
not harming the engine...probably. not harming anything else...probably not. do you know what happens when you spray really cold stuff on a really hot part? especially when that part is not designed drastic temperature changes like that? you might end up cracking something...and that would be bad.

and I only say you don't harm the engine if you keep the stuff AWAY from the engine....otherwise cold NOS on hot engine = cracked block. I had a friend who cracked an aluminum block by pouring cold water into the radiator

1 - 20 of 30 Posts