Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned the hard way what not to do with my WRX. It's not a good idea to show it off to a guy who just bought a 2003 Honda S2000 less than 2 months ago and doesn't know how to drive.

What happens is you talk cars for a while, then offer to take him for a drive. You climb into your WRX, and spend 10 minutes making your turbo and AWD very apparant to him and his new torqueless, RWD car. You're out in the outskirts of town, dry clear conditions around 7pm on a summer evening, taking clean 30 MPH corners around 55 or so, on the holeshot. You're not being stupid or out-driving your car or experience, just having fun with it. You return safely, satisfied that he liked it.

He offers to return the favor. (I'd never ridden in an S2000, and really, you ought to, just to say you've done it)

So he gets out of the driveway, top down, windows down, revs the motor to 9 grand, dumps the clutch, the ass of the car cants sideways a bit as the tires bake off... he flies through the first 4 gears staying in VTec as best he can, and then makes the fatal mistake.

We approach an unbanked, 15 MPH corner, and he slows down to a paltry 75 and throws the car into a last moment go-cart slide to the left. We dont make the corner, we do get sideways, we do jump the ditch, we do hit the chain link fence, we do uproot 4 fencepoles, we do tear out almost 100' of fence, and we do waste the passenger side of his car, almost decapitating me before we come to a stop again, amazingly, tires down.

What do you say when he swears for a few moments, looks at me, and apologizes by saying, "I f***ed up. I tried to make my car do what your car does."

*sigh*

I drove very slowly home, parked in the garage, hand washed her the next day, and remembered that respecting the road is the first step to driving longevity.

- Bill

·
Registered
91 Posts
See scoobies kick ass. They got better handlign than most cars out there. Ur story shows nothing could compare to the AWD.lol Sorry about his car though that aint kool at all.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
He still had the feeling of the AWD stickiness on his rump and thought his car would perform something similar. Bummer. That was a stupid move by an inexperienced driver. Happens all the time. Luckily, nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't attempt to take my WRX around a 15 MPH corner at 75 ... I dont care if it's mounted on rails ... that's just really stupid. We lived though, amazingly not a scratch on me.. and two of those steele fence posts went right over my head. :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pass out from what, Ryan?

btw: is your computer still rebooting itself? you prolly got that stupid new windows virus. (oh wait, windoze is a virus most days.... hehe)

There are free patches if you run your Windows Update.

- Bill

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
audiokid said:
pass out from what, Ryan?

btw: is your computer still rebooting itself? you prolly got that stupid new windows virus. (oh wait, windoze is a virus most days.... hehe)

There are free patches if you run your Windows Update.

- Bill
He fixed it. Good effort though.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
OMG...that's horrible. I can totally sympathize with that guy. I did something equally stupid in my 3000GT. I spun out 4 times on the exit ramp, took out a sign, blew out my engine, and ended up paying 7.5k in damges. I feel bad for that poor guy :( I'm glad that you two are safe though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a WRX and a S2000. I hate to tell you this, but I think the S corners better. Stock vs Stock. The S comes with S0-2's the WRX..well you know the tires it comes with..so unless it is wet out or the guy was just being stupid then the S would out handle. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my WRX, but you are comparing two very different cars. When its sunny and nice, the S is the car to drive, but when its raining or snowing (and it does that a lot in Seattle) the REX is my choice. The S has a lot of power in VTEC and it can get out of hand quick, not a lot of people are used to driving rear wheel drive cars these days, they are not forgiving when you make a mistake like the FWD or AWD cars are. On a side note Im glad your oK. Sounds like you could have been hurt.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I make it a point not to push my car over 90% when I drive other people, wanting to show off can get the best of anyone, even me. I learned my lesson and so will the guy in the S2k, hopefully everything turns out alright for him. Its times like that where I think the best way to show off on the street is just to show some speed in a straight line, much safer. Then both go to a auto-x and have fun that way.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm glad you posted the story, reminds us to have fun safely. Support your local track, motorsport clubs, etc.! :)

-snowcat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts