Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of things in car ads lately are making me wonder "what's the point?" Namely:

1. Zero-to-sixty in 6.42 seconds (Cadillac LS)
Why advertise this? Anything over 6 seconds, keep it to yourself.

2. A 140-watt sound system (Mitsubishi Eclipse) Does 140 watts actually qualify as a sound system? Again, under 200+ watts, keep it to yourself.

I'm sure there's more...

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
I think it's a Lincoln LS. :D

Well this one sucks - when Mitsubishi started advertising for the Lancer - it was the airport commercial. Something like "and a 2.0L engine to get you around fast". Hey guys, it has even less power and torque than my car - and that's saying a lot! People that know nothing of displacement or power are supposed to be impressed by "two liters", I suppose.

There needs to be more Jack in the Box commercials. Those are top notch every time. Chipootle!

·
Registered
142 Posts
if only all commercials can follow what miller lite did

hehe

·
Registered
847 Posts
Integra96 said:
I People that know nothing of displacement or power are supposed to be impressed by "two liters", I suppose.
umm...remember rally cars "only" have 2 liters

things car companies shouldn`t advertise:

blind people driving (new pontiac?)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Old commercial (7 years ago maybe) was for chevy or saturn (who cares) and the guy gets out of the car and says "..and if i forget to turn the dome light off, it does it for me! My house doesent even do that!"

...So your saying if you get out of the car and for some reason are dumb enough to leave the light on, the car shuts it off...great.
I though that was so stupid i can still picture the dumb look on that idiots face as he got out of the car and said that.

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
Yes, but rally cars make power with their 2.0L engines. If you've only got 2.0L, you'd better talk about why it's worth it because of a turbo or high-revving efficiency (S2000). But the Lancer? Geez those are slow... :(

·
Registered
949 Posts
yeah the dog running into the car, and the old man yelling "slow down!" to the parked car, while the subtitles underneath says "it just looks fast"

and yeah, pontiac should've NEVER had that blind person driving, I mean wtf are they thinking.

what about that commercial where the guy was checking himself out in the reflection of the eclipse, and the two guys roll down the window and blow kisses at him. I think that was a snickers commercial, but I wouldn't want MY car being portrayed in that way.

And also how all the truck owning companies only think that white males with cowboy hats drive their trucks. Or SUV's are only driven by white female mothers. (which is mostly true lol)

·
Registered
284 Posts
How about way back in the day (before most of us were born) when Chevy tried to market the Nova in Mexico. For those of you don't speak Spanish, in Mexico Nova means "doesnt go." Needless to say they changed the name down there.

·
Registered
586 Posts
WRX said:
yeah the dog running into the car, and the old man yelling "slow down!" to the parked car, while the subtitles underneath says "it just looks fast"

That was the commercial for the Celica with the aero kit. I guess it goes with their company stance that "they are not out there to make the most powerful car" - according to one of their big people. Then they proved it with the Scion Bbx. :confused:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mr Kooyulator said:
scions are *ahem* garbage on wheels. im sorry but those just bleh. whyd you mention those?! lol
to get that exact reaction. these are suppose to be marketed to the 16-25 year olds. i really don't get it :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anybody remember the Impala commercial of about a year ago? The one where the guy tells the salesman that his dad used to own an Impala. She goes on to say, "Well I bet his Impala didn't have 16 inch alloy wheels or a 200 hp V-6.".........lol. I hope I'm not the only one who found that funny.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i fit that age group... hmmmmmm yeah i still dont find them appealing at all. luckily for toyota, the company didnt take the parent name.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
cutlass4lfe said:
Anybody remember the Impala commercial of about a year ago? The one where the guy tells the salesman that his dad used to own an Impala. She goes on to say, "Well I bet his Impala didn't have 16 inch alloy wheels or a 200 hp V-6.".........lol. I hope I'm not the only one who found that funny.
Or Front Wheel Drive

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am surprised noone mentioned the W8 commercial, where the father pretends to drive fast while the kid races him on his bike...then goes on to say something to the effect of "just knowing that you could drive fast is enough"...or something like that

the only funny VW commercial I have ever seen was the guy spinning down the icy road trying to remember which company made the 4-motion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Coyote, the Passat commercial was a little different. I believe the saying was something like "The all new Passat comes with 270hp, but it's up to you on how to use it".

What's wrong with that? He was enjoying his car playing with his kid.... Eh whatever I suppose...

Personally I like the Lexus commercial where the snow plow is behind the lexus, and the guy in the huge plow is all nervous because of the conditions, so the guy with him is saying to just stay in the tracks of the lexus. And then goes on to say how with front-wheel drive staying on the road won't be the problem or some garbage like that. Yeah, any car with front wheel drive is invincible in the snow :rolleyes:

·
Registered
117 Posts
The new Lincoln Comercial in which it says that their car outhandled a BMW 5-series is just stupid, I found out something really funny about this:

Turns out that the 5-series that was tested against this Lincoln is in fact a 5-series that BMW makes for Ukoslovia (sp?). It has a very small motor (because taxes there are based on egine displacement) and has tons of emissions stuff on it. It is probably the slowest BMW that BMW makes. But Lincoln thinks that they are cool or are special because they can beat it.

Also the new cadilac commercials where the car is driving through the tunnel and the fog, Just go to show how HORIBLLY BAD the drag coeficient is on those things.

The running of the bulls commercial w/ the Esclade trucks just goes to show that they really are B.S.!!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts