ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I'm drivin home from dropping off my girlfriend. I had passed this cop sitting in a parking lot, I guess he was trying to catch speeder, but his radar wasn't on because my detector didn't beep.(I'm guessing he had been sitting there speed trappin, and didn't get anyone too quick, so he decided to move onto something else.) Anyhow, right as I looked out my window at the office building next to me, His car appears from behind a bush, where I couldn't see it before, and he looks directly at me. I thought in my head right there, okay, I wasn't doing anything wrong at all, so I have nothing to be worried about, but cops HATE eye contact especially without a wave haha. Anyhow, I continue driving, and see him pull out after the 2 cars behind me. I stop at the red light ahead, He makes a move and gets in front of the car behind me, and at the next night where it switches from 1 to 2 lanes, he pulled me over. Now luckily, this is a younger guy on the force. (My town police so I know most of them) This guy has pulled me over before because I have NY inspection and NJ plates. Last time he had pulled me over he was real easy going, ya know, "hey just go to DMV and they will give u a new sticker, takes 2 minutes, they will probably even let u cut the line. And I'll tell you one more thing, The guy I bought my wife's car from drives one of these (and he points at my subi) he goes, It's a fricken cop magnet. Just enjoy it and be safe, I love seeing it pass every few days" So I said thank you, yadda yadda we shook hands and I went on my marry way. So anyhow, yesterday he pulled me over again, I see it's him as he exits his patrol car, and I knew then and there it was nothing extreme I got pulled over for haha. He gets to the back of my car, crouches and feels my mud flaps. I then immediately knew, it was about them. He asked me about them blah blah blah, I explained why they were there, and he listened and he honestly respected the fact that i don't want little knicks and scratches in my paint. I explained that companies sell aftermarket mudflaps, and they are nearly identical to the way mine are installed, so I asked if the aftermarket ones where legal for another reason or something, and he explained that anything protruding out of the wheel well is illegal. So this brings me to my question, are they truly illegal or did he just want to talk and ask me some questions?

P.S. He was asking me about prices of WRX's, how easy/hard are they to get, are they good in the snow, etc. This guy better buy a WRX! I'd love to get pulled over once a month just so he can ask if I got any new mod's he can check out hahaha

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Actually, he does have a point (although it's entirely possible he was looking for something else at first). This is why trucks with larger tires put those plastic rails around the wheel well. I know it is illegal for tires to stick out beyond the fender. That said, the bright color probably attracted his attention. My RA's stick out some, but I don't think it's farther than the widest extent of the fender, plus they're black on a black car, so you can hardly see them anyway.

Look online and read the laws of your area concerning vehicle ordinances VERY carefully. You'll probably find something like what I'm talking about. I do know NJ is particularly picky about this sort of thing.

My area is the complete opposite. I don't even have emission checks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
NJ VTL surely has a section on vehicle equipment. Is there any mention of items protruding from outside the wheels? ;)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Jeez you've had them on for what, a week?

Rambo's got a point, though: I think anything sticking outside of the fenderwell is technically not legal. Again, though, it's all up to the mood of the referee whether you get flagged for it or not. This guy, on the other hand, seems to like your car. Next time you drive through his beat, maybe pick up some donuts first? (I kid, I kid...)

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
usually statutes about things sticking out are concerning wheels and tires.

I'd check deeper into the local laws like EJ257 advised.

How far do they stick out?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea, the officer did explain anything protruding out of the wheel well, any further then the furthest part of the fender, then it is illegal. The wheel's included. He has pulled me over once before and explained that the person he bought his wife from has an STi, and he strongly wants one. Hopefully next time I get pulled over it's because he wants to attend meets and so-on!

*** forgot to mention. Just to give an example of how this officer is mannered, when I explained that the mudflaps were on to reduce chipping, he agreed and even . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .ed his head back for a second, then came back with the response, "I won't be bothering you for them, i just wanted to warn you they are not legal, but to be honest they are red on a bright blue car, they stick out severely, if you paint them blue, we would be less likely to be bothered by it. If you want to be safe of tickets though, you can trim them down, and when u start noticing little chips, fab a pair that are just a TAD bigger then the pair that allow chips." He then told me to have a nice day, and enjoy my beautiful blue car in the gorgeous sun (this was sunday, gorgeous day out haha)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yea, the officer did explain anything protruding out of the wheel well, any further then the furthest part of the fender, then it is illegal. The wheel's included. He has pulled me over once before and explained that the person he bought his wife from has an STi, and he strongly wants one. Hopefully next time I get pulled over it's because he wants to attend meets and so-on!

*** forgot to mention. Just to give an example of how this officer is mannered, when I explained that the mudflaps were on to reduce chipping, he agreed and even . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .ed his head back for a second, then came back with the response, "I won't be bothering you for them, i just wanted to warn you they are not legal, but to be honest they are red on a bright blue car, they stick out severely, if you paint them blue, we would be less likely to be bothered by it. If you want to be safe of tickets though, you can trim them down, and when u start noticing little chips, fab a pair that are just a TAD bigger then the pair that allow chips." He then told me to have a nice day, and enjoy my beautiful blue car in the gorgeous sun (this was sunday, gorgeous day out haha)
Dude he just wanted to check out your car.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yea, I had really suspected so. But anyhow, should I be afraid of tickets in the future? I have a PBA card from a friend who's father is the NJ prosecutor. I think that should help me get out of a dumb ticket like this, but if it's the same cop, i don't know how much luck I will have. But honestly, I'm a young'n and I'm always runnin around to get friends and stop at stores, etc, I atleast see 2 of my town police a day, and have never been bothered before..

maybe I should trim them down a bit? what would you do

·
Registered
759 Posts
yea, I had really suspected so. But anyhow, should I be afraid of tickets in the future? I have a PBA card from Johnathan Mollinelli who's father is the NJ prosecutor. I think that should help me get out of a dumb ticket like this, but if it's the same cop, i don't know how much luck I will have. But honestly, I'm a young'n and I'm always runnin around to get friends and stop at stores, etc, I atleast see 2 of my town police a day, and have never been bothered before..

maybe I should trim them down a bit? what would you do
First: edit that post so that you aren't throwing somebody under the bus with their name being posted in a publicly searchable forum.
Second: what would I do? I'm probably going to pick up the basic universal ones and fabricate some way that I can easily fold/turn them in just by loosing and tightening one bolt with a wrench. Then, they're available quickly and easily when you want them for the dirt, but hidden/gone when you're just around-towning it.

Unless your problem is with the around-towning bit...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts