Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know I spook pretty easily, but man...this movie totally freaked me out...one of my friends even walked out of the movie during the first 15 minutes because he got freaked out and got his money back.

Btw, in case no one knows, it's the American remake of a Japanese horror movie...and it proves Japanese are whack! hehe

GO SEE IT!!!! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
My friend won tickets to the premier and says to wait for it on video. Not worth the time and money to see it in the theatre.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very good movie. I don't usually get scared from movies but I almost needed a fresh pair of drawers after this. You have to pay attention and follow it closely, so I understand why some people would get frustrated and say it sucked. Really good twist towards the end too. Saw it twice:) .

·
Registered
18 Posts
GasolineAlley82 said:
Very good movie. I don't usually get scared from movies but I almost needed a fresh pair of drawers after this. You have to pay attention and follow it closely, so I understand why some people would get frustrated and say it sucked. Really good twist towards the end too. Saw it twice:) .
i followed the movie closely and did not think it was that good.
the story is not hard to follow and not that in depth. there is actually alot of holes in the plot.
the only thing i found spooky was watching the video tape.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't spook easily...now-a-days most "horror" films are like comedies, but "The Ring" really got to me. I think it's the combination of those victim faces at their timing in the film...and there's something freaky about an evil little girl...

I just saw it last night and was creeped out even this morning...good to see there was a thread on it already. I too think there were holes in the story (BTW, stop reading if you plan to see the movie):

OK: so the girl kills how? F'ugly? Like Medusa? If so, do you need a tv nearby cause a couple of the kids died while driving...it'll be pretty lame if she comes out of an lcd in your car visor...

So, what did "freeing" her remains from the well do? She seems pretty content to keep killing.

Is making a copy of the tape all that's needed...or do you need to "set-up" another victim to get her off your back?

So, the whole things starts w/ a baby girl who's adopted (but we saw the birth certificate) and is neglected by her father who prefers horses. So she gets mad and puts a hex on the horses. this pisses off her parents who put her in a psyche ward where she is certified to be a loon w/ nasty powers and does not sleep. So she's locked up in a barn then thrown into a well (alive no doubt) where she lived 7 days. Some how a video tape was created (how?) and ended up in a cabin built over the well. What's her motovation to keep killing (Crazy azz b*tch syndrome???)

Actually, this movies doesn't really make sense...unless I'm really dense...but the overall effect is is freaky which I gives props...

And 1 more thing...what's the deal w/ the moral of the story: spend more time w/ your kids? The kid seemed like a major part of the story, but ended up just being a distraction.

I also saw the Transporter...interesting seeing a white dude pulling off jackie chan moves...and that girl was hot!

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you read the rest of this post, you will die 7 days later... WhoooooooooooooOOOooooOOOOoooooooOOOOO

:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
i heard that this one is pretty true to the original japanese version. and we all know that some of japanese movies are pretty weird and don't make any sense? remember Akira?
maybe the moral of the movie is to watch less tv? or don't let your kids watch too much tv.

the part that pissed me off was when the main character went to see that girl in the psych ward who was traumatized by her friends death and she said that the little crazy girl will show you why she's doing this. So i'm all psyched up to see some crazy/ scary ****e but when they did show what happened to the little girl i was like "huh? that's it? " I was expecting something horrific from all the previous build up and foreshadowing.
what's the deal with the little boy saying that the girl talks to him?
huh? how? why him? is it because the boy was neglected by his mother too and they have a common bond/ upbringing?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QuickSilver said:

OK: so the girl kills how? F'ugly? Like Medusa? If so, do you need a tv nearby cause a couple of the kids died while driving...it'll be pretty lame if she comes out of an lcd in your car visor...

So, what did "freeing" her remains from the well do? She seems pretty content to keep killing.

Is making a copy of the tape all that's needed...or do you need to "set-up" another victim to get her off your back?

So, the whole things starts w/ a baby girl who's adopted (but we saw the birth certificate) and is neglected by her father who prefers horses. So she gets mad and puts a hex on the horses. this pisses off her parents who put her in a psyche ward where she is certified to be a loon w/ nasty powers and does not sleep. So she's locked up in a barn then thrown into a well (alive no doubt) where she lived 7 days. Some how a video tape was created (how?) and ended up in a cabin built over the well. What's her motovation to keep killing (Crazy azz b*tch syndrome???)

Actually, this movies doesn't really make sense...unless I'm really dense...but the overall effect is is freaky which I gives props...

And 1 more thing...what's the deal w/ the moral of the story: spend more time w/ your kids? The kid seemed like a major part of the story, but ended up just being a distraction.
From what I could tell, you died by some type of means, but not necessarily had to do with the girl coming out. Like you said, there was a car accident and the girl's heart stopped. Those aren't psycho-girl related...but you don't want to let her out because now she's actually coming out to kill you, instead of happening by some type of "natural" means.

Motivation? Probably something simple like you said ("I'm pissed and I'm gonna share it with the world" syndrome).

Video tape? Who knows...they don't really explain it but hey, it happened. Sure, the plot's got holes...but it's not the plot that's supposed to scare you, it's how it's presented :) Name a horror movie where the plot REALLY mattered...the only ones I can think of are the Silence of the Lambs series and The Shining...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Since we're talking about it...

I think the girl always comes out of the tv to kill...that's why the end of the video tape shows the scene of the girl coming out of the well and then turns to static...so after 7 days, a tv turns on and you get to see the scene in it's entirety where the girl comes out of the tv (this is set-up by that scene where the lead lady pulls a live fly off the screen) and the last thing you see is the "ring" which is etched into the eye of the girl (apparently, the last thing she saw...seems to make sense symbolically)...that cause you to have the shiznit scared out of you...enough to stop your heart and f'up your face. I don't know how the bodies get "positioned" since in every case it's obviously not where they died...so maybe she places them...ie in a car or something. I think the sign of her (the crazy azz b*tch...CAB for short) physical presense is water, since she's obviously wet from the well.

I still don't see the point of the little boy...

And what really happened to the friend from the begining of the movie...what did she see and how come she won't tell?

OK, I think I'm over the creepiness now...I just want to figure the movie out and make sure I didn't miss anything (i just don't pay to see a movies twice...)

·
Registered
41 Posts
How many out there have seen Feardotcom personally i think feardotcom was crap. but it seems to me it has the same plot as the ring.
and ringu in japanese means ring for all the "smart ppl out there" ahem nick

·
Registered
136 Posts
Verdugo said:
Okay, I know I spook pretty easily, but man...this movie totally freaked me out...one of my friends even walked out of the movie during the first 15 minutes because he got freaked out and got his money back.

Btw, in case no one knows, it's the American remake of a Japanese horror movie...and it proves Japanese are whack! hehe

GO SEE IT!!!! :D
I gave Verd such a hard time after the movie!! but it was soo funny, the first couple days I was freakin him out. But the ring is a must see, a very good movie to see with a group of friends!:)

·
Registered
932 Posts
I liked the movie precisely BECAUSE so much was left unexplained. The movie didn't really bother trying to explain how or really why the girl killed people in that particular way, and yet you saw it happen. Unexplained phenomena scares most of us. In your typical horror movies, the scariest part is in the beginning, when you're not at all certain who or what it is. For me, once you see the source of the horror, it's all downhill.

I never really understood the moviegoer's need for rational explanations for horror movie phenomena. A strange girl is murdered by her mother and dumped into a well and thereafter kills the viewers of a video only aexactly after 7 days, and they demand a rational explanation? :confused: THAT is unrealistic.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
I had nightmares from signs, and still check under my bed for the mothman, no way in hell im going to see this movie.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
WRX>MUSTANG said:
I had nightmares from signs, and still check under my bed for the mothman, no way in hell im going to see this movie.
LOL 0wn3d by a movie :D

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
WRX>MUSTANG said:
Amen nick, I was freaked the hell out by signs...Mothman though??? I donno about that one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
READ ONLY IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE THE RING!!!!!!

Okay... I thought the plot to the Ring had some holes to, but after talking to my fiance' about it, we came up with the following...

1. The videotape is made when the kids go to the cabin.

Remember how the guy said the origin of the tape could not be figured out (because it displayed weird numbers when they placed it in the VCR) and that videos usually leave a fingerprint (i.e. copy of another tape, video recording). Well, the aunt said her niece went to the cabin expecting to tape a football game, but when they played the tape this is what they got. The reason is, the evil girl could manipulate it with her brain (similar to the 'pictures' she drew while she was in the psycho ward, which were on film type paper.

2. The inconsistency about the evil girl coming out of the TV.....

I cannot figure out how she killed the people who were driving (if indeed she kills by coming out of a television). However, the reason the other girl had a heart attack is because she saw her come out of the TV.

I thought it was a good film overall, pretty freaky. Those facial shots were pretty disturbing!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts