ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

so i just came up on a set of enkei rpf1 wheels 17x8. I've gotten word that the best fit for these wheels would be a 225/45R17 or 235/45R17 set of tires. I just wanted some more insight on what exactly are the advantages/disadvantages of either size tire. is width the only difference i'm looking at? or maybe fitment? or even feel/performance of the car? what do you guys have to say? any recommendations would be cool,

thanks in advance

·
Registered N00b
263 Posts
I had 17x8 rpf1's on my civic and had a 225/45/17 and it fit perfectly. A 235 would just mean a fatter tire for a little bit more rim protection from curbs and such. Advantages? Id say more grip. Disadvantages? Cost, and slightly worse gas mileage. More prone to hydroplaning but on a subie i have yet to experience hydroplane lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the insight man. it seems everyone votes for the 225 over the 235 tire size no matter good or bad. must be a reason right? i'll try the tires out when I get them put on tomorrow!

thanks again.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I run 245/40/17s on my 17x8s.

Wider contact patch gives better grip, but at the expense of decreased gas mileage and more corner weight. Worth the trade in my situation.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
I'm with him ^. I'd at least go 235's on an 8" wheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm wel in my case, I'm going to be using my wrx as a daily driver and occasional canyon driving so I may opt for better gas mileage therefore the 225. however I always like the idea of more grip especially through long and tight corners.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
225/45/17 is stock on 04-07 STIs on a 17x8 wheel...so there's nothing wrong with that. It's what I currently run now. But I have run 235 as well. Anywhere from 225-245 size is fine.

Cooper Zeon RS3-S's fit perfectly in a 225 IMO (almost like a 235 actually).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts