ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With our youngest son heading to college in the fall and taking the Maxima with him, my wife needs a new ride! She really likes to drive the REX, but has always loved American muscle cars. With her 50th birthday coming up and who knows when we'll be able to do this again, I told her she needs to get what she wants, so there are no regrets later on! We test drove both the 2013 Mustang GT and 2012 Camaro SS and the SS won out!

So here are some pictures (taken today) of the REX's new garage mate! It is a black on black 2SS, RS package, Hurst 6 speed short throw shifter, Brembo brakes, backup camera, Boston Acoustics stereo, Bluetooth, iPod interface, etc... This beast's torque is ridiculous!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
I can't read. I thought the title was "new ORANGE mate" so I was confused when faced with a black car, then I re-read the title and finally got the point. Sheesh.

Congrats on the car, the nose is very mean and the duck tail suits its lines better than any spoiler I could envision.

·
Registered
163 Posts
wow. This is funny because this is the other car I was considering before buying my WRX. I wanted the WRX but wasn't sure it I could wait the 8 weeks... I waited :p
Congrats on the new car:D

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Congrats, Ive been toying around with the new toy idea lately and the camaro is leading the challenger/mustang/camaro pack to me also.

·
Registered
198 Posts
nice the grille up front is nice and love the spoiler. also was considering a ss2/rs 6 speed 2010. its my bros car and he wanted to sell it to try an buy a zl1. i spent months trying to decide between cars driving myself crazy. he has intake,short tube headers,catback, and tuned. needless to say its fast but i just felt the subie would suit me better. i am in total envy of you since you have both:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the nice congrats! My wife loves it and that's all that counts! She deserves it! Maybe she'll let me drive once in a while!:D

The grill and spoiler are extra options that were already on the car! Speaking of ZL1, while we were picking up the car, some guy drove off with the ZL1 that was on the show room floor! The exhaust in that thing is awesome! The only bad thing was the car had an automatic in it! Blasphemy!! :whoa:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Seriously nice car.

...but the question everybody's not asking is: "Which one is faster?"

I guess before being able to get it to the track, all we have to go off of is your perception, so let us know!

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I know that the fanbois will assemble, but if the WRX can outrun the Camaro in any kind of straight line contest, you need to take it back to the dealer for service. :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I know that the fanbois will assemble, but if the WRX can outrun the Camaro in any kind of straight line contest, you need to take it back to the dealer for service. :)
Now, I'm not assembling ( lol ) but I actually only asked because Car & Driver actually tested them out at just about the same numbers...

WRX
0-60: 4.7 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.5 seconds
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX - First Drive Review - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

SS Camaro
0-60: 4.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.3 seconds
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Automatic - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

·
Registered
205 Posts
Congrats! I'd be more enthusiastic but there are Camaros, Mustangs, and Corvettes everywhere around here.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Seriously nice car.

...but the question everybody's not asking is: "Which one is faster?"

I guess before being able to get it to the track, all we have to go off of is your perception, so let us know!
Now, I'm not assembling ( lol ) but I actually only asked because Car & Driver actually tested them out at just about the same numbers...

WRX

SS Camaro
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Automatic - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
They both have horrible stock tunes. But with a few light mods the WRX will be faster. I'm not sure about the SS though. Everyone I've come up against never wants to race. I think they're scared. ;)

Reactions: etnpnys

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice car. I looked at one before I bought my WRX. I liked it, except for how small the windsheild and all the windows were. Limited my visibility a lot. Plus I have to deal with snow around here so I went with the AWD. Congrats on the new car! :thumbup:

·
48,699 Posts
It's a lonely existence, sometimes...being the only one left on the forum that understands what "trap speeds" mean. :rotfl:
OP: Break in the Camaro properly. When done, you and the wife take the SS and the WRX to a nearby, empty highway. Slow to 20mph, and both hit the gas. See what happens.

WRX

SS Camaro

·
Registered
759 Posts
It's a lonely existence, sometimes...being the only one left on the forum that understands what "trap speeds" mean. :rotfl:
OP: Break in the Camaro properly. When done, you and the wife take the SS and the WRX to a nearby, empty highway. Slow to 20mph, and both hit the gas. See what happens.
...I really, really want you to expand on that actually... I've had my WRX for about 14 hours right now, and I can sure enough tell you already that it doesn't feel like American muscle (as it shouldn't). But I built a 1971 Camaro out with a 400HP custom stroker 383 and I know what trap speeds are... I thought...

·
48,699 Posts
AWD cars achieve deceptively lower E.T.'s and 0-60mph times, because they jump off the line with a quick 0-60ft. To get those times, the magazine drivers romp hard on them, putting the drivetrain through stress that you and I would be foolish to do on a day-to-day basis. Do a granny start (slip clutch), or a rolling, real world start, and I'm betting that the SS, similarly started, will easily win. (I'm not an advocate of street racing, btw...)

The trap times show this. A mid-13's WRX is traveling at 101'ish mph as it goes through the traps, the SS, more like 108-109, depending upon what you're looking at.

I don't really care, one way or the other. Just providing food for thought for folks that are interested in the realities. An American V8 has massive "area under the curve"; it's a stretch to think that a (comparatively) peaky turbo-4 is a match for it under all circumstances.

·
Registered
759 Posts
AWD cars achieve deceptively lower E.T.'s and 0-60mph times, because they jump off the line with a quick 0-60ft. To get those times, the magazine drivers romp hard on them, putting the drivetrain through stress that you and I would be foolish to do on a day-to-day basis. Do a granny start (slip clutch), or a rolling, real world start, and I'm betting that the SS, similarly started, will easily win. (I'm not an advocate of street racing, btw...)

The trap times show this. A mid-13's WRX is traveling at 101'ish mph as it goes through the traps, the SS, more like 108-109, depending upon what you're looking at.

I don't really care, one way or the other. Just providing food for thought for folks that are interested in the realities. An American V8 has massive "area under the curve"; it's a stretch to think that a (comparatively) peaky turbo-4 is a match for it under all circumstances.
That's exactly what I thought. And that's exactly my experience. I don't advocate street racing either, thus there's little to no chance that most of us will have our cars up over 100MPH anyway. Again - it's all just perception. I believe that the WRX will be more fun and capable in DD scenarios, but I LOVE the new Camaros. Especially this black one with that awesome rear spoiler!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Congrats on the Camaro. I've always wanted a Camaro since my pops bought his friends drag camaro. Well, it wasn't a camaro, just a camaro shell. thing ran 7 second qtrs, came with a 10 ft wheelie bar, wheels only turned 15% in each direction, barely had brakes and had parachutes, came set up ready to run, and 2 extra motors ready to be swapped out and ran and 2 sets of tires. He thought he was getting an old classic, boy his face when the trailor pulled in the driveway. Only kept that car a few months (even after 8 grand of changes car was still street-illegal. A 17 year old wanted it when my dad sold it, he told the kid he wasnt selling him his death bed lmfao

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
The WRX will lose. Upgrade the turbo to a 20g (with supporting mods) and repeat. Then see what happens.

·
48,699 Posts
The WRX will lose. Upgrade the turbo to a 20g (with supporting mods) and repeat. Then see what happens.
Not really relevant to the OP's situation, unless I'm mistaken. We can play the "but then if I mod it!" game all day... :tongue:

"Drop a ZL-1 engine into the Camaro!"
"Oh yeah? Well, I'll put a jet fighter engine in my WRX!"
"Oh yeah!? Well, I'll put a Star Trek warp core into my Camaro!"
"Oh yeah?..."

Reactions: etnpnys
1 - 20 of 28 Posts