Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 wrx
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short. Dk WTH happened but on the way home from dinner oil light shot on and my WRX turned into a John dear tractor. Didn’t see any holes. And I know for sure the oil level was at the right level before I even left the house. . ( just got back from vaca so I double checked before taking her out.) anyways it needs a motors. Me being me didn’t really pay no mind until I looked at the pricing 6k for a motor with 172k on it wth and then 10,500 for a motor with 45k and a 1 year warranty. This is crazy lol. Also went by where it started knocking and sure enough a giant oil trail was present.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So long story short. Dk WTH happened but on the way home from dinner oil light shot on and my WRX turned into a John dear tractor. Didn’t see any holes. And I know for sure the oil level was at the right level before I even left the house. . ( just got back from vaca so I double checked before taking her out.) anyways it needs a motors. Me being me didn’t really pay no mind until I looked at the pricing 6k for a motor with 172k on it wth and then 10,500 for a motor with 45k and a 1 year warranty. This is crazy lol. Also went by where it started knocking and sure enough a giant oil trail was present.
Are these prices for closed deck, ported engines or stock? If stock, the sellers are high. Even dealership prices are <2k for shortblock assembly & just over 1k for heads.

Edit -
Short block, 2.2k msrp, 1.9k at dealer:

Small parts will add up but you are still looking at <7k for the whole assembly with new parts.

·
In Æternum
16,890 Posts

What did you expect? Like seriously? Why does everyone seem to think a new motor costs like $2500?

@WRX-maniac can you please explain to these people the cost of doing business?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lol you are in for some surprises if you are used to LS prices. If you have a 2nd car don't rush it. Take the engine apart first, it's worth reusing any undamaged parts, except anything you can't clean, like oil pump & oil cooler. Also a good time to upgrade engine & turbo if you plan to do it eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts