Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity what turbo's are relatively close to the oe TD04 in spoolup? I know there are a couple (used to be anyways) hybrids that are close, anything else?

Thanks in advance

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AjIsDope said:
Wouldn't it be a VF22? Just a guess....
I'm not sure (hence my question:) ), but I think the 22 is actually up the line a bit- could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time).

Big Sky

·
Banned
33 Posts
Either and upgraded Stocker or a VF24, VF28, or VF29.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
VF23? the VF22 is one of the biggest IHI turbos then the VF30, VF34, VF35... the VF35 shares the same housing as the VF34/30, but has a different type of setup (it's not ball bearing, it's some other setup that has less friction)

I'm curious about this one too!:D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
palaban said:
AFAIK, the VF23 spools a little quicker than the VF30/34. My guess for the fastest would be the SR30 or VF29.
...that is true...

but I think the SR30 is about the same size as the VF34/30...

What we REALLY need is someone to make a chart of each and every turbo out there...with specs, all in order by size ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
out of the blue question. If you get an up-graded TD04 lets say from deadbolt performance or FPperformance, is it required for you to run with bigger injector, fuel pump, and some sort of engine mgmt?
What if you have no money, and your stock turbo is dying and all you want to do is to port and clip the TD04 withouth adding extra cost to injector, fuel pump, engine managemnt, or intercooler?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Just out of curiousity what turbo's are relatively close to the oe TD04 in spoolup? I know there are a couple (used to be anyways) hybrids that are close, anything else?

Thanks in advance

Big Sky
In terms of IHI turbo's this is how i would rate them: VF24-29 (not a big difference here, p18 housing and smaller compressor with ball bearing), then the VF35 due to its smaller P15 exhaust housing, non-ball bearing...
[then the Vf34 (p18 housing and ball bearing), VF39 (p17 housing, non ball bearing), VF23 (p20 housing, but smaller compressor therefore less inertia, and ball bearing), VF30 (p18 housing non-ball bearing) all are however, very close here-within 150rpm], and last, but not least, the VF22.

I think the VF30, 34, 35, and 39 all have the same compressor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
S-WRX said:
out of the blue question. If you get an up-graded TD04 lets say from deadbolt performance or FPperformance, is it required for you to run with bigger injector, fuel pump, and some sort of engine mgmt?
What if you have no money, and your stock turbo is dying and all you want to do is to port and clip the TD04 withouth adding extra cost to injector, fuel pump, engine managemnt, or intercooler?

Thanks!
No, it is not required at all.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done a little searching around and it does appear the 24,28,29- all very similar and the 35 appear to be the qucikest. Several think the 35 is quicker than the 24-29 series. It appears the 35 was on the STi, MY01 v7. Evidently "our" STI w/ the 39 falls in between the 35 and 34 in spool/flow.

I'm going to look for dyno plots comparing the 24 series vs 35. Wouldn't it be nice to have something spooling very close to the TD04 w/ more hp/torque. It will have to "fast" w/ a good early, flat torque curve to suit my needs.

Big Sky

·
1,911 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
I've done a little searching around and it does appear the 24,28,29- all very similar and the 35 appear to be the qucikest. Several think the 35 is quicker than the 24-29 series. It appears the 35 was on the STi, MY01 v7. Evidently "our" STI w/ the 39 falls in between the 35 and 34 in spool/flow.

I'm going to look for dyno plots comparing the 24 series vs 35. Wouldn't it be nice to have something spooling very close to the TD04 w/ more hp/torque. It will have to "fast" w/ a good early, flat torque curve to suit my needs.

Big Sky
The 39 has not been tested on a 2.0 liter and I think it would be more laggy than your other options. I say go for the VF35 or VF29.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts