Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I purchased a 2002 Subaru Forester recently and knew that it was more sluggish than it should be. While accelerating, it seemed to just want to hesitate to get up to speed, as if I was loaded with sand bags in the back or something. I looked up the 0-60 time and found that it’s at 9.8 seconds. I know it’s probably not the best idea to do this, but I decided to see how well it would perform a 0-60 test. So, I pulled out my phone and began the costliest speed test yet. It took 16 seconds and about 500 feet after I reached 60mph I had to slow down to turn onto another street. About 100 feet down that road, as I was smoothly accelerating (normally), the engine began to hesitate. I would let off momentarily and then try to begin again. The more load I put on the engine, the more it wanted to stall. I babied it down the road for about a quarter mile until reaching my neighborhood.

When starting the car, the rpms seem normal. Other than one time, it jumped to about 2400 rpms for nearly 4 seconds before smoothly coming back down to 500.

This is my only car, and my commute to work takes all of 12 minutes - city driving. If I accelerate EXTREMELY slow, i can go for a mile or two before I’ve almost completely lost all power. I shut it down, then start it up and repeat. Before my 0-60 test, I also noticed that while accelerating at a smooth constant pace, the car would sometimes begin to accelerate slightly faster all of a sudden, even though I didn’t press the Pedal any further, I’d say that this is more exaggerated now (after the test). While waiting at a stop light my RPMs read fine and rest at about 600. When the light turns green, I press the accelerator and nothing happens for about a second. Then I continue to baby it while people behind me honk their horns... literally

The day that this all began I went to AutoZone to have the codes read. I’m not sure what was there before I did the 0-60 test unfortunately.

P1137 SUBARU - Front Oxygen A/F Sensor 11 Circuit Range/Performance Problem

P0130 SUBARU - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1

P1443 SUBARU - Evap Control Solenoid

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction

I’ve checked the Fuel Pressure when starting the car (minimum 32) and it’s at 45-60. The upstream 02 Sensor reads fine with a scan tool (idling).
Previous owner changed the Fuel Filter, Spark plugs, wires as well as the air filter.

I have to still go for a drive and watch the live data on the 02 Sensor. Any other suggestions for Data that I should watch once I’m able to use the scan tool again? While idling, it seems to take a good press of the pedal just fine. As I go down the road though, it’ll begin to show signs of starting the whole dilemma again. Please help!

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Id be curious if there is a ground issue or if all the sensors are actually shot. Front o2 problems will cause what you are describing sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a video on YouTube showing someone with similar problems and their fix was the Upstream 02 Sensor. My only question would be, why did this happen seconds after doing this Acceleration test? Could it more likely be the Fuel Pump or the Relay for it? I’m going to see if the fuel pressure dies down quickly after shutting the vehicle off - maybe there’s a leak in the fuel system? The problem is, it starts and runs fine, it doesn’t begin to occur until I start actually driving for a couple of minutes. This stinks, I have to drive an hour and a half away on Monday.. lol

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
It could be a number of issues. My first suspect would be the front o2 sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts