ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just bored, looking for turbo kits for my Trans Am, and I came upon this. It don't look like the most efficient turbo set up ever conceived. I think it is ever bizarre, and I would assume turbo lag would be worse than it should be, even though I have heard otherwise. Also, the air filter looks like it would have to be changed continuously. I can't just post a picture because I am at work.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
that's either a joke, or someone that didn't know what the heck they were doing.

you're right, LAG has to be horrible on that car. I guess it'd make sense if this was the bottom of the front end, close to the engine but all the way back there???:confused1

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I have seen similar pics before.

-joe

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
go to their website and look at the videos. They don't seem to be too laggy. The LS1 kit sounds freakin sick.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn't a joke. The site has them for sale for F-bodies and Avalanches. Several people have them on the F-body site I frequent, www.ls1tech.com. They seem to produce around 450 or so rwhp, all for around $3500. That seems like a very good deal, but the set up is a little too troubling for me to be very interested in it. I think I'll just get heads and a cam after I get my long tube headers and true duals installed (as soon as the X pipe gets here . . . hopefully by Friday). It is definitely a unique set up, though.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scooby24 said:
go to their website and look at the videos. They don't seem to be too laggy. The LS1 kit sounds freakin sick.
Yeah. Everyone that has them says there is very little lag, which seems odd to me, as the exhaust gases have to have cooled down considerably by the time they get to the turbo, and there is a lot of piping to be pushing the air through. Of course, I don't have any first hand experience with them, though. I'd hate to hit a pothole with that. If you did and leaked oil because of it, I'd think your engine would blow before you knew what happened.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
gusto said:
wouldnt water crack the turbo once that babys hot??

just seems weird all out and unprotected like that
If that's the case woudln't the exhaust pipes crack when they get wet? Don't think the water would hurt it so much as it would hurt the filter. Looks like that little guy would be sucking up all kinds of water.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Wow. I've never seen a setup like that before. When I had my WS6, I was looking at the TT kit made by Incon. I'm not sure if they're still around or not though... Thunder Racing used to sell their kits, but they don't have them on their website any more. :(

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
STS turbochargers makes these kits... I think they are a terrible idea, and that they dont work... all of the guys that have em on the SS site I go to love em, and there are a few guys one with a 408 and another with a 427 that have these things on them, Me personaly, i think they are poorly designed, and a big mistake, think of what happens when u drive through a puddle and u suck a glon of watwer into your engine... I have not seen any track times, and it could be that these things just perform ok on the dyno...I am still highly sceptical of these kits...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Trailboss said:
So when they pop their hood, nobody sees a turbo.
but they see the random intake pipe comeing from somewhere below the engine? and that rules out an i/c right? unless its gona sit somewhere below the car..........

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I hear its a pretty decent lil kit. Smog exempt because its behind the cat. Not amazing, but worth the cheapy price tag.

No worries about it cracking, because the turbo does not get hot. Also, there is no intercooler necessary because of that.

Alot of you guys with FMIC have just as much piping between your turbo and engine as these do.

Ummm, thats all i can think of for now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts