ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods I have: K&N air filter and 3/16".

Mods coming: Uppipe, Kart boy shifter bushings, Turbo XS MBC (the cheap one) and a Blitz dual TT w/boost gauge ect.

I've read that leaning the turbo out (the fuel mixture I am guessing) can be very, very bad. What other mods can I do before I have to buy the $700 ECU piggyback unit? Would a downpipe be ok? How do I know when it is to lean and I am in danger of damaging the engine?

As always your help is appriciated.

Pete

·
Registered
363 Posts
"leaning out the turbo" is really leaning out the air/fuel mixture.

Stoichiometric ratio is 14.5 or 14.7:1 Air:Fuel. That's 14.7 "parts" of air to 1 "part" of fuel. Be it grams, ounces, etc, the chemical reaction is 14.7 parts to 1 to run to completion (nothing of either air nor fuel left).

Now, back in reality. Complete combustion NEVER occurs. It's impossible because we are not combining these things in a vacuum.

"Lean" means a ratio HIGHER than 14.7:1, i.e. too much air
"Rich" means a ratio LOWER than 14.7:1, i.e. too much fuel

Our cars run rich from the factory, as do most turbo cars. Running rich robs power, but because of the high possibility of pre-ignition in our cars, it's worth it. Extra fuel helps cool the explosion and keeps the engine running :)

You can run a turbo-back exhaust without anything else and not run lean. I would suggest purchasing several gauges (boost, EGT, Air/Fuel) or a DeltaDash if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You should of gotten the new BLITZ multispeed turbo timer instead of the Dual TT same price...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THX

Thx gryphon! Good day Nexus6. LOL

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts