Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum with an issue I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere. So long story short I picked up a leftover 2015 WRX back in June 2016, the car is beautiful and it was a helluva deal. So on to the problem, at 6500 miles on the car now I am running in to the long crank that so many people seem to experience. There is no rhyme or reason to it that I can tell, ambient temp or engine temp don't seem to matter. I'll give it a few seconds to let everything "boot" then turn the key and it will just crank and crank and then stop, key off, key on, try again then the engine will usually catch and it's rough for a second then smooths out. I've looked everywhere and dug up some old threads an it seems like nobody has found a fix yet, and I've been through the wringer with the stealership getting the atypical, "we can't find the issue" that seems common with this. I've owned a lot of vehicles and for Subaru to be treating this like its "normal":bs: or not a big deal is really heart breaking and disappointing. My 2006 F150 still starts first time every time with almost 200k, this isn't normal for any vehicle unless your still running a carb and a choke. I'm hoping I missed a thread somewhere with a fix because as of last week the dealership still can't seem to fix it. Seems like the next step is going to be a letter to the NHTSA (I get it, it's not safety but maybe it will get some legs there) and Subaru. My fear is the same as everyones, failure at some point leaving me stranded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:help:

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
206 Posts
Seems like it's not getting a good spark to start? Has it always happened since you bought the car? 91 or 93 octane?

When you first test drove the car, did the dealer have t started up waiting or did you turn key and go? Just trying to get some more details since I can't see this being a carbon build up or even plug failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always 93. When I picked the car up it was cold sitting in the lot. Proper break in, proper warm ups, "adult owned". Since picking it up this problem has been completely random, sometimes it will go weeks without doing it, sometimeso it'll do it twice in a day...like I said there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. The dealership insists they can't find anything. The ecu isn't showing an issue so I would say it's a fuel issue or and ignition issue but as we all know they won't fix anything unless they see it happen because ultimately the magical computer in the service department tells them if they are "allowed" to fix it or not, not good old fashioned intuition or common sense.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
206 Posts
Bone stock? No drop in air filter, what oil you running? Did you check any of the engine control or ECU fuses (under the hood) to see if one is bad? Did Subaru do the recall for the ECU issues on your car? some of 15s had issues there was a recall.

Pull number 13 - ECU 7.5A and 11 Fuel Injector 15A - can then press the brake pedal for about 10s and then count to 10 and put them back in. Put car in ACC let everything come up and then try to start it. If it starts right up leave it running for 10m then turn it off and then back on. See if the issue straighten out after about 180 miles. Also check your battery, mine died 6 months later. I have an ISM 15 and it happened to me a couple times. Ended up getting the optima. Then it happened again so I reset the ECU, FI fuse and cleaned the MAF and it went away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I've just been living under a rock for the past two years . . . but this is the first I've heard of the "dreaded" hard start that "so many people seem to experience."

Have I missed something?
Well you are in Maine, check the Telegraph office, coulda got held up on the lines Boom, Roasted. But in all seriousness you're probably just lucky enough to not have to deal with it, seems like it's more commonly a Forester issue but certain 15's are having the same issue. Sadly nobody seems to have found a fix yet, been on the ol Google search and multiple forums and other than people just throwing parts at it no smoking gun anywhere. Shop just called me today and said they heard from Subaru main and there is a reflash and update they are going to do on the ECU so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CWO. Car is stock, haven't messed with it at all yet, like I said, hasn't even seen its second oil change yet so it's got whatever Subaru put in it for oil. I'll give the fuses a check tonight when I pick it up but I'm hoping this "update" will fix the issue. Sometimes I feel like they just say "we did an update" when they can't fix it though. Thanks for the troubleshooting help.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
206 Posts
CWO. Car is stock, haven't messed with it at all yet, like I said, hasn't even seen its second oil change yet so it's got whatever Subaru put in it for oil. I'll give the fuses a check tonight when I pick it up but I'm hoping this "update" will fix the issue. Sometimes I feel like they just say "we did an update" when they can't fix it though. Thanks for the troubleshooting help.

There were a handful of MY15 WRXs that had the ECU recall that caused some issues with preignition and fouled spark plugs. They do the flash and should also replace the plugs. I can see this being the issue because if the plugs are fouled you would get the issues with starting the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to bring it up to them, I would have assumed that checking for recalls would have been one of their first steps but I'd hate to assume and get screwed in the end. Thanks for the info.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,919 Posts
I had these same symptoms on my old WRX. Here's what was done by the dealer in order:
1. replaced battery - no change
2. replaced fuel filter - no change
3. replaced fuel pump - better for about 1-2 weeks / symptoms returned
4. replaced all 4 injectors - fixed for good
They told me possible (really) bad tank of gas. *shrug*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had these same symptoms on my old WRX. Here's what was done by the dealer in order:
1. replaced battery - no change
2. replaced fuel filter - no change
3. replaced fuel pump - better for about 1-2 weeks / symptoms returned
4. replaced all 4 injectors - fixed for good
They told me possible (really) bad tank of gas. *shrug*
Hm, seems like if this update doesn't fix the issue I'll be heading down the same road I guess, hopefully I can attempt to skip some steps and just have them look at the injectors, seems like the general consensus so far. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update is done, they also did anot ignition test. The tech said they have seen good results with the update so I guess only time will tell. Started right up when I picked it up at least, got a hockey game to go to this morning so I'll see how it does on a lovely 12 degree day. Got this thread bookmarkedo just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update is done, they also did an ignition test. The tech said they have seen good results with the update so I guess only time will tell. Started right up when I picked it up at least, got a hockey game to go to this morning so I'll see how it does on a lovely 12 degree day. Got this thread bookmarkedo just in case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts