Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do!

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2019-bmw-x2-ready-to-roll/2100005026/

I think it looks pretty cool and is a nice size. OK, a little pricey especially with the options--starts in the high $30's, and any color other than white adds $550 to cost...but the BMW colors are awesome. (One wants the dynamic handling package on these vehicles, which adds another thou or so.) There is a certain level of elegance and clean design that BMW is known for.

Small engine, great fuel economy, pretty speedy--0-60 in a little over 6 seconds. I wish they offered the 3-L TT engine for this--the smallest SUV to get that is the X3. Of course, that would drive the price up even more...

Anyway, those who long for the WRX hatch might be interested in something like this. BMW can be accused of many things, but not trying to appeal to every single segment of the higher-end market is not one of them.

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
Looks like a sharp choice for many that want an SUV with a little bit of "Driver Appeal" and sportiness! I'm fortunate and don't have to compromise; I get to have the more performance-targeted vehicle, and the wife's CX-5 handles SUV-Crossover-family duty, nicely.

Still haven't owned a BMW to date...I need to find a way to get behind the wheel of some of the newer models!

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
That BMW is going to look gorgeous being hauled off for repairs on a flat bed.

Our Pilot has 470k km on the odometer and has only needed routine maintenance throughout.

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That BMW is going to look gorgeous being hauled off for repairs on a flat bed.

Our Pilot has 470k km on the odometer and has only needed routine maintenance throughout.
While I agree with your opinion on the sturdiness of the Honda Pilot - we have one in the family with over 300K miles - your remarks on the venerable BMW brand are sadly out of date and misguided. BMW's have their issues, as do all carmakers, including Subaru and Honda - but early failure is not one of them. When's the last time you saw a late-model BMW on a flatbed because of engine failure? transmission failure? The I6 engine is one of the most reliable engines being produced now, and the 2L turbo now has a lot of experience under the belt as well. Much more than certain Subaru engines I might add...

I seem to recall you do have a certain affinity though for French and Italian cars...hmmm...paragons of reliability are they?

[Disclaimer - all in fun, even though I love BMW, I don't take it personally...]

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah. I'd rather have a Tesla X.
While I love the Tesla S, the X in the flesh just leaves me unimpressed. Kind of blobby looking if you ask me...reminds me of the "potato-looking" Olds small SUV...

I admit I love current BMW designs, especially the SUV's, and the 3 series and Z4 as well. I'm not a huge fan of the X4 and X6 though, again because they look kind of like camelback crickets. But the X2 is a design winner IMHO.

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
I'm conflicted about the Tesla brand. If it made sense financially, and it fit our family's needs, ok, maybe I could see getting one for family duty, for the wife or whatever. I'm intrigued with the tech and the approach.

For my personal vehicle...nah. I need a more visceral enthusiast car than a Tesla can provide. No sound, no shifting...? No sale.

30,460 Posts
While I agree with your opinion on the sturdiness of the Honda Pilot - we have one in the family with over 300K miles - your remarks on the venerable BMW brand are sadly out of date and misguided. {SNIP}

When's the last time you saw a late-model BMW on a flatbed because of engine failure? transmission failure?
My remarks are correct.

We've already had this conversation. I haven't made a point of taking more photos though:

Bavaria's finest in its natural habitat (riding a flatbed...).

I have heard sometimes the BMWs move under their own power but I see no data to support that here.

Great cars. Keep on buying them boys, they're fun to borrow but I'll leave the bills to you.

Toodles!

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This looks more like a BMW being moved from one habitat to another, likely because the owner parked in a No Parking Zone. Although rare, some BMW owners have been known to exhibit discordant and oppositional behavior. I think this is more common in SoCal, though I haven't seen a study on such.

30,460 Posts
SD_GR why are you stopped there? The sign clearly says no stopping at any time.
It was an emergency. The interior of my Subaru was creaking so badly I’d suffered a migraine so I had to stop.

· Premium Member
47,181 Posts
It was an emergency. The interior of my Subaru was creaking so badly I’d suffered a migraine so I had to stop.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bravo..worthy of old skool ClubWRX postwh0re threads.. :golfclap:

· something else forever
3,906 Posts
I used to work for Tesla (12 months in sales support and customer education) and I would say the X is an incredible car but I would never own one over the BMW/MB/AUDI equivalent, but that's just my opinion.

I had an e36 (1998 M3 sedan w/ 5-speed stick) which I bought used with my dad. Car had a tad under 50k miles. We got rid of it when it hit a tad over 150k miles. I admit that the radio went, the heating had issues, the window motor on the driver side failed, and the car used to leak coolant a lot. But the engine was both strong and incredible. The transmission and drive-train were great! We only got rid of the car after the ORIGINAL clutch finally went. The paint was going, the door locks weren't consistent, but it was a reliable and great car. I think if you take good care of a BMW and are careful then they are extremely reliable. Not as reliable as any Honda or Toyota but still good.

I think the BMW X2 is stupid. I like it but I would never pay more than 80% of MSRP for one. It is overpriced and just doesn't make sense to me. But it is a good car, just a "stupid" car in my eyes. Kinda like a base model Ghibli with ZERO options. You know the one. The 2016 "new" with 20-40 test drive miles that you get in late 2017 or early 2018 for WAY under MSRP then realize that you could have had an incredibly better car if you bought "xyz" instead.

I think people who will actually buy the BMW X2 are the same people who buy a base "430i coupe" with the M-package without realizing that a 440i coupe is superior in every single way for just a few grand more.

30,460 Posts
II admit that the radio went, the heating had issues, the window motor on the driver side failed, and the car used to leak coolant a lot. {SNIP}... The paint was going, the door locks weren't consistent, but it was a reliable and great car. I think if you take good care of a BMW and are careful then they are extremely reliable.
Point taken, argument conceded. I'm forced to admit this makes sense; it's rare to find an extremely reliable car with radio, heating, window motor, paint, and door lock issues. Plus it would leak coolant too? You guys are right. I'm off to the BMW dealer.

· something else forever
3,906 Posts
Point taken, argument conceded. I'm forced to admit this makes sense; it's rare to find an extremely reliable car with radio, heating, window motor, paint, and door lock issues. Plus it would leak coolant too? You guys are right. I'm off to the BMW dealer.

SD_GR you're legit one of my favorites because you always get a fun conversation going! :D

okay soooo..... *deep breathing* I bought a 1998 car in 2010 used with over 50k miles that had been sitting for over a year in a muggy shed in the backyard of a retired Air-force pencil pusher...

For reliability I completely 100% agree that Honda/Toyota > BMW for reliability. My family has had two Camry's for over ten years each with zero problems with each one being driven as a daily. We also had an Accord for a little over a year as a company car with no problems at all. Amazing vehicles.

I also have a stereotype in my head. The engine and transmission in a BMW (or any German car outside of VW/AUDI) is bullet-proof if you take care of the car BUT everything else WILL wear out faster for whatever reason.

· Registered
371 Posts
Saw an X2 yesterday in person in their equivalent of HyperBlue. I have to say I really liked it, kind of CrossTrek-y with WRX height. BUT as an crossover/cute ute or whatever it is, Id say it has zero advantage over an X3, If you look at the sporty equation, it is underpowered for its weight and by the time you add the sporty options, its way overpriced. Trying to be everything = good an nothing but Im sure it will sell. The crosstrek is underpowered and they are everywhere. I had one, I liked it but it was half the price for the same amount of fun and utility

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.