ClubWRX Forum banner

11941 - 11960 of 11983 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I apologize if this question has already been answered on here, which I'm sure it has, but I have a 16 sti and am looking to get a blow off valve or bypass valve. Question one, is there a difference? Question two, is it possible to install an aftermarket valve with NO tune and not have problems? And question three, what would be the best brand to go with in your opinion? Thinking Cobb or Turbosmart, but that's only from brief researching.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I apologize if this question has already been answered on here, which I'm sure it has, but I have a 16 sti and am looking to get a blow off valve or bypass valve. Question one, is there a difference? Question two, is it possible to install an aftermarket valve with NO tune and not have problems? And question three, what would be the best brand to go with in your opinion? Thinking Cobb or Turbosmart, but that's only from brief researching.
1. You have a stock BPV
2. No.
3. Stock.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
Because the engine management is maf based go with the stock bpv. I don't know of much advantage to a blow off valve on a street driven car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Village Idiot
3,469 Posts
Because the engine management is maf based go with the stock bpv. I don't know of much advantage to a blow off valve on a street driven car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
There is absolutely no advantage to a new blowoff value, and only a new blowoff valve. It's simply a noise maker.

@ZKenny10, If you truly wish to buy one, buy one that has the capability to fully recirculate. Installing a blowoff valve that blows off to the atmosphere is hindering to the car as that's not what it's designed for. I speak for myself and many people on here in that we would recommend you don't buy one. However, that's not what you asked. You asked if Turbosmart or Cobb makes good blowoff valves. The answer is yes, yes they do. However, let it be known that it will provide zero benefit to your car and it's performance. Furthermore, if you buy one that vents to the atmosphere, it will actually hinder the performance and life of your vehicle. The stock blowoff on the STi is a very good unit built to withstand probably more boost than your engine can handle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
800 pages of replies... wow thats alot of reading. well i like the sound and decided to get a hybrid BOV. please bash me if you like.
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
BOV questions

Hey guys,
So I am interested in getting a BOV for my 2016 wrx but I have some concerns. For one, will I need a tune if I install a BOV? Secondly, will adding a BOV void my factory warranty? I was planning on getting the TurboXS Hybrid BOV which apparently vents some of the air to the atmosphere and recirculates the rest back into the system. I have read this will prevent check engine lights and will make the car run like stock, with the exception of the added whooshing noises, (what I want so badly) :/ I just want to make sure my car will run fine with no CELs before going through with this mod. :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a giant sticky on this. Our cars were not made to run an atmospheric BOV at all. Having a maf sensor a bov releases already metered air back out of the system thus causing issues because the car has made adjustments for air that is no longer there. Bottom line even though they sound cool, they will hurt the car

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a giant sticky on this. Our cars were not made to run an atmospheric BOV at all. Having a maf sensor a bov releases already metered air back out of the system thus causing issues because the car has made adjustments for air that is no longer there. Bottom line even though they sound cool, they will hurt the car
Okay maybe I'll hold off on a BOV. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,627 Posts
If you want the noise, add an intake. An intake will produce similar sounds as a BOV. An intake must be tuned for however and could potentially void a warranty claim. Other than that, everything WVRex2010 said is correct. Do not put a BOV on your wrx.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I run a bov but that's because mine is tuned for it and it doesn't run off a maf. Mine got changed speed density so I could run one. The guy who had the WRX before me had a bov on it and it was nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I run a bov but that's because mine is tuned for it and it doesn't run off a maf. Mine got changed speed density so I could run one. The guy who had the WRX before me had a bov on it and it was nothing but trouble.

·
Super Modulator
19,458 Posts
You can't "tune for a BOV," but running speed density or blow-through MAF will solve most of the concerns for venting air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can't "tune for a BOV," but running speed density or blow-through MAF will solve most of the concerns for venting air.

Well I say tuned for it since my tuner changed it all up mechanically and in the computer so the bov wouldn't affect the a/fr

·
Registered
3 Posts

which can be solve by running a front mount then also. like AMS makes a kit and few others

·
Super Modulator
19,458 Posts
which can be solve by running a front mount then also. like AMS makes a kit and few others
What?

·
Registered
1 Posts
BOV question! sry last post got deleted

hey all, new to all this so sorry if this has been asked before. I did read other posts but cant find what im looking for. I just picked up a 2013 sti, with turbo back exhaust, grimmspeed intercooler, aftermarket bigger turbo, cobb intake, cobb accessport and GFb BOV. question is should I install a factory BPV or keep the BOV installed?? hear BOVs aren't necessary and cause damage and heard ill be fine. im running 20 psi. any help would be great thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
It completely depends on how the car is tuned or if they have gone to speed density

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

11941 - 11960 of 11983 Posts