ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many similarities between the WRX/STI and the SO's daily. 4 doors, 2 liter four pot engine and AWD are some of common points. Although I find the new daily down on power (horsepower number does not start with a 6), it still is fairly snappy. 0-60 times run in the 4.1 second range and quarter mile times are in the 12.3-12.4 range. Skid pad numbers are in excess of 1g. These numbers are all down, but are still sufficient to allow one to have a smile from time to time. The 7 speed DCT transmission needs a little more evaluation.

We have ~ 125 miles on the clock. Book calls for 1,000 mile break-in.

I apologize about the orientation. I could not get them to correctly orient and gave up in frustration.

Attachments

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts
looks really nice - love the color - they're pretty quick cars

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,696 Posts
Looks great (except for the sticker on the back...)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats sweet car !
Considering the price range did you cross shop with the RS3 ?
Cross shopped the S4, the C43AMG, C300 Coupe, ATS-V, BMW 3 & 4 Series (no M Series - $$$ and too slow), but not the RS3. The SO liked the looks and the feel of this one the best. We toyed with the C63AMG but that would have meant doing something with the ZL1. I didn't want to give up my daily driver.

·
Super Modulator
19,449 Posts
They are very cool with a proper hand-built AMG engine.

What is your impression of the handling? I recall that automotive journalists were very impressed with the powerplant, but not as impressed with the handling and 4MOTION system. IIRC, they are relatively beefy (3650 lbs) riding on 235/19/? tires.

I'd be interested if Merc brought over the A45 with a proper stick.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zax,

Ours has the 18" tires. That actually helps with the ride quality a bit. The handling seems fairly good to me. Much more flat and stable than the '15 WRX. To be fair, I haven't pushed the car too much, with my recovery from back surgery. We only have ~1,450 miles on it to date. There is an A35 AMG coming with ~302HP(?) but no manual. No hatch either.

I am sure that later in the year, I'll wring it out a bit more. We are going to COTA for the AMG Driving Experience in December. We will be driving their cars, but I'll likely get a crack at a CLA while there. That should give me a good measurement.

·
Super Modulator
19,449 Posts
Much more flat and stable than the '15 WRX.
It's interesting that you say this as the WRX is really aggressive in terms of transient dynamics and that hasn't been my experience in RIDING in a CLA45AMG.

Unfortunately I haven't driven a CLA45, but I had the opportunity to ride in one during AutoX. It was quite a bit more rolly-polley than my STI and a lot bit slower on the course. Might have been the tires. Also, does the CLA45 come standard with adjustable suspension? Maybe that was incorrectly set.

Regardless, very cool car and ENJOY IT!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's interesting that you say this as the WRX is really aggressive in terms of transient dynamics and that hasn't been my experience in RIDING in a CLA45AMG.

Unfortunately I haven't driven a CLA45, but I had the opportunity to ride in one during AutoX. It was quite a bit more rolly-polley than my STI and a lot bit slower on the course. Might have been the tires. Also, does the CLA45 come standard with adjustable suspension? Maybe that was incorrectly set.

Regardless, very cool car and ENJOY IT!
Zax, mine was a '15 WRX not a WRX STI, which has a bit stiffer setup, I believe. The CLA 45 comes with either a 3 way or a 4 way adjustable suspension. The Race Package adds a fourth adjustment of Race to Comfort, Sport and Sport+. Our CLA does not have the Race Package (~$5K-$6K more). That package adds the 19 inch tires, although these tires are added through a couple of other packages.

To be fair, I haven't AutoX in decades. I even passed on the CamaroCross at the last two CamaroFests. I figured that full days, each, at NCM Raceway and Beech Bend drag strip were enough for my gotta drive it home ride. I am sure that I'll take the CLA to NOLA Motorsports. I'll likely even do an instructor in car for at least one or maybe two sessions. This will be next year, after we have been to COTA and the AMG Driving Experience.

Remember this, too: This is my better-half's car. I only get to drive this thing with permission. I am great with that. I am really cool with having a SO (significant other) that drives a CLA AMG 45 as her daily. In a recent discussion, she explained to me how she often switches up driving modes and where some of her favorite roads were in Mexico. Just for a little texture, both of us are past 6 decades on this rock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts