Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just passed 500 miles on my rex, so I've started to drive in a slightly more "spirited" manner every now and then just to vary the rpms (and for fun). Today for the first time i felt of beauty of subaru all wheel drive. I can't quite describe what happened, but I took a 90º left hand turn fairly hard, I heard and felt it break loose a little, then it griped and pulled me around nicely. For the first time, I feel like I do in fact own a rally car. This is a lame post, but I am still pretty excited. Now its back to really taking it easy for the rest of break in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nah, that's a great post. I think those of us who rarely drove performance cars before are quite surprised when we find out what a great car it REALLY (rally) is.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got about 600 miles on mine. I've jsut been driving it "normally" since about 400. I've had 18 cars in my life and have never broken any of them in quite as easy as the manual states and have never had any problems. The car is sweet, I'm loving it! I've got the Prodrive axle-back on order... cant wait! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2003WRX,

Do you have any pictures of those wheels on your car? I'm thinking that the ROTAs are the way go for the money, but I'm unsure on the color I want.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That feeling IS the WRX experience. You're right, it can't be described with words. I wish more WRX owners would experience this instead of worrying so much about 1/4 mi times.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No pics yet, but soon. They look AWESOME in bronze though! I'm 100% satisfied with the wheels. I bought them from machiii.net They shipped them the day after I placed the order and it was only $550 total (no shipping cost). Highly recommended!

·
Registered
555 Posts
A sober word of caution

I'm a fellow newbie!

My last car of 8 years was a ford ranger pick-up. When I got my Rex is was a whole new dimension in driving. There was so much more i could do. It's awesome, I whole heartily agree with you and I'm all for spirited driving.

But, if you're not use to such performance, please be cautious. Regular street driving is not a place where you should inadvertantly learn the handling limits of this car. I strongly encourage you or anybody with little to none performance driving experience to do the following:

Sign up for a performance driving school, or at the VERY LEAST, take the car to an open lot or a clear dirt road and do some driving exercises like donuts, hard acceraltion and braking, and sharp cornering. Practice until you can recognize when you approach the limits of your ability and your car. PLease do this before taking corners hard or peeling out on the streets. There's good technology already on the car to make up for stupid mistakes...but eventually, stupid always wins.

I only bring this up cause I've learned some valuable lessons already (just had my car for 2 months).

dan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My previous vehicle was also a Ford truck (F150) I may be new to driving a car, but I know better than to risk the safety myself or others on the road. There were no other cars around, and it is a corner I take everyday on the way to school.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ScottLCD69 said:
My previous vehicle was also a Ford truck (F150) I may be new to driving a car, but I know better than to risk the safety myself or others on the road. There were no other cars around, and it is a corner I take everyday on the way to school.
You know what? There is always someone who assumes the worst when you post about something cool of fun. Welcome to the beauty of posting in a free forum. Compared to an F150 you must feel like you are flying an F18! LOL

·
Registered
555 Posts
My apologies if I offended you Scott. I didn't mean to imply that you acted irresponsibly. My fault, after reviewing my post I realize that's how it sounded.

Here's why i posted, I'm pretty darn conservative of a driver myself (ofcourse that's a relative term), but I will admit when I got my Rex I felt that there was much more I could do. I'd take a corner and know instantly, that I could have gone faster...eventually I started pushing the limits without thinking too much about it. The car was a joy to drive!

ONe time on a dirt road which I travelled at least 6 times previously, I took a turn at what i thought was a moderate speed, and boom!!! I'm in the "jungle" completely off the road and missed totaling my car by a foot. The road was deserted and there were certain corners I intentially took hard on that road, but that wasn't one of them. I just didn't know the signs my car gave me when it looses traction on dirt roads. After doing donuts and sharp corner practices, now I know how it feels before the car slips and how to recover when it does. Lesson learned.

I just wanted to pass that down. That's all. Sorry if it offended anyone.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm with you QuikSilver. You never know what will happen. Maybe somebody had an oil leak on a corner you've taken 30 times before at the limit. Maybe a dog will run out, etc, etc. I save my super aggressive driving for autox, rallyx, etc. Not that I never squeal the tires around a corner, but I definitely think twice before pushing hard on the street.

Jay

·
Registered
196 Posts
On the plus side, the WRX is the most forgiving sports car I've ever had. I traded a lightly modded 2000 Z28 6-speed for it, and that thing will have you in the guardrail lickety split if you're not paying attention and gas it too much... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was not offended at all, I just wanted to clarify that I was not pretending to be Colin McRae in a nieghborhood or on a busy city street. I in fact appreciate the both the enthuasim, and cocerns from the replies on this thread. This is why I post here instead of on the I-Club.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts