Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - this might get wierd, but I was just thinking about this.

The letter "W" is pronounced "double you" or "double u" therefore the lines on the "W" should be more like UU. however, I imagine it is more of a hassle to make the lines curved. In a pinch, it evolved to straight lines.

I bet back when the English alpabet was created, people in Europe had nothing else to do with their day so they would spend hours writing letters. They took pride in it. They had the time to curve the "double u" UU. Now in America we don't have time for that! No we don't. We're busy busy busy. That's why we only have the "W" with straight lines.

Think I'm crazy?
Keep reading...

Then I was thinking, it should be called the "Double Vee" not the "Double You (or U)" But then something occured to me. When you sing the Alphabet song...
Q-R-S, T-U-V, Double you-X, Y and Z. sounds right. Imagine how confusing it would be if it was Double V?
Q-R-S, T-U-V, Double Vee-X, Y and Z.
Know what I'm talking about? People would think you stuttered or something.

Wow! Feel free to do whatever you want with this.
:D

-Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
Josh is the ultimate OT moderator. Are you on drugs? :D

-Jim
Just a few...
Ritalin, Xanax, and Prozac
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,793 Posts
If "double u" wasn't in the alphabet, we would be losing a very valuable sound...think about it. There would be no sounds to start such wonderful words as women, wanger, whiplash, whistling dixie, and of course, last but DEFINATELY NOT LEAST


WRX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
If "double u" wasn't in the alphabet, we would be losing a very valuable sound...think about it. There would be no sounds to start such wonderful words as women, wanger, whiplash, whistling dixie, and of course, last but DEFINATELY NOT LEAST


WRX

I like this guy ALREADY!

:D

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
one of the great american passtimes of 2002: pondering the origin of Phonetic sounds while being high on Prozac...

interesting observation Josh.

-Jae-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jtek said:
one of the great american passtimes of 2002: pondering the origin of Phonetic sounds while being high on Prozac...

interesting observation Josh.

-Jae-
thank you!


"I like this guy ALREADY!



-Jim


__________________"

told you;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Josh is the ultimate OT moderator. Are you on drugs? :D

-Jim
Amen to that! He's a little "off", I'd say.:D :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
Sideswipe said:


I'll 2nd that!!!!!!!!
PUT THE PIPE DOWN!!!!!!!! CRACK IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!!!!
brad, you been here what? ten minutes?



hahaha, joking.. :D just playing dogg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Trailboss516 said:
The letter "W" is pronounced "double you" or "double u" therefore the lines on the "W" should be more like UU. however, I imagine it is more of a hassle to make the lines curved. In a pinch, it evolved to straight lines.

I bet back when the English alpabet was created, people in Europe had nothing else to do with their day so they would spend hours writing letters. They took pride in it. They had the time to curve the "double u" UU. Now in America we don't have time for that! No we don't.

-Josh
Something you should know:

There is no English alphabet. We use a modified form of the Latin alphabet.

There was no u in the Latin alphabet, but the letter v was pronounced either as a consonant, like the w that we know, or as a vowel, like the u we know.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is that the w really evolved from the letter v, and so did the u. There is really no connection between the w and the u.

Valete Discipuli! (pronounced walaytay) :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Re: Re: The Alaphabet

Bask Oner said:
Something you should know:

There is no English alphabet. We use a modified form of the Latin alphabet.

Valete Discipuli! (pronounced walaytay) :cool:
Bask Oner, Catholic school or language major in college?

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
The Alphabet

PlatinumWRX said:


Bask Oner, Catholic school or language major in college?

-Jim
Classical Studies major at Hunter College. I had to choose either Latin or ancient Greek. Latin was my choice, and I've finally gotten some use out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Re: The Alphabet

Bask Oner said:
Classical Studies major at Hunter College. I had to choose either Latin or ancient Greek. Latin was my choice, and I've finally gotten some use out of it.
HEY, I guessed right! What do I win? LOL.

-Jim
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top