ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after i got my new tires...one of the tires had a slight leak..the air would leak out over the course of like 3 days...so i just throw some flat fix can in there and its fine now..but when im at highway speeds there is an intermittent vibration coming from that wheel. THere has to be some sort of wave vibration taking place that the liquid amplifies..if its still liquid. I am going to take that wheel off and hold it downward and let the air out so all that crappy liquid comes out also...but before i do...does that crap solidify in there or does it stay liquid???

·
Registered
505 Posts
Next time read the can more carefully and don't use that crap. It states very clearly on those fix-a-flat type products to go get the tire repaired ASAP. It fills your tire with the liquid from the can. Some solidifies to plug the leak. The rest sloshes around and makes the wheel unbalanced. Take it to a tire shop and tell em you used fix-a-flat. They will know what to do.

The best thing to do with a slow leak is just drive it in to the tire shop and tell em it's got a slow leak. They will find it and patch it up. Belle Tire does it for free but you have to wait all day for it.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know i would do the conventional visit the tire shop thing...but this place does take forever and im going back to school in 2 days and im real busy with stuff...there isnt a defect in the tire it was just leaking from some place around the bead i think.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Fix a flat will throw the tire out of balance, and it is very bad for tires. My friend who runs a Goodyear constantly replaces tires due to fix a flat eating up the rubber on the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i just tried to get all the crap out..and yeah i guess it is solidified in there and stuck to the edges...i guess ill have to drive around until that crap all breaks up in there or just go to a tire shop when i get home!

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
aaronwillen said:
so i just tried to get all the crap out..and yeah i guess it is solidified in there and stuck to the edges...i guess ill have to drive around until that crap all breaks up in there or just go to a tire shop when i get home!
understand, it's not a permanent fix. it's a temporary means to get you to a place that can get you a new tire.

the stuff breaking up is RUBBER, and it's not a good idea to do any substantial driving until you get the tire replaced.

dR

·
Registered
907 Posts
Fixs a flat is eveil!!! it eats your rubber like it were parranahs on a cow!

only stuff I trust, and only for smaller tires is Slime. In bigger tores it will still cause them to be un ballanced, but not as bad cause its viscous enough to stick to the tire with inertia.

·
Registered
91 Posts
my buddy has an old baja bug and one of his wheel was running on 2 lugs. that same tire has a leak and we put fix a flat (bad choice). we were doing about 65 (the car's max speed) on the 91 by UCR and the car was vibrating but we said well check it at his house, well lets just say we didnt make it that far, we were in the middle lane when we just drop a few inches and i saw a lot of sparks, then after we stopped after spinning we realized what happen, it was pretty fun but i have a nasty scar on my arm to remind me of it. teh funny thing is that it only cost him $74 dollars in parts to fix the car. and we used the same rim that went flying off.

·
Banned
953 Posts
I have a buddy that works in a tire shop. He says Fix-a-flat and Slime are the devil, and you'd be wise to avoid them. He says it makes it way harder to work on the flat, and they charge extra if you use it. In addition, fix-a-flat and slime increase the likelihood you'll have to completely replace the tire, when normally they could just repair the slow leak for free.

Just to beat a dead horse, and throw in my 1¢.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe ill see if i can drop my car off there tomorrow morning after work sometime and get it looked at...they installed the tire incorrectly obvoiusly so its their fault...and the leak was from the bead im pretty sure not the actual tire because it was brand new

·
Registered
269 Posts
Make sure you tell them you used Fix-A-Flat!! It'll be obvious when they pull the tire, so there's sneaking it by them. When they crack the bead it'll get all over the place, and they may inhale it! So make sure you warn them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts