ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may or may not remember, last week or so I said in the recent car pics thread that I had some goodies coming this week that I would take pictures of. Well, they arrived today! YIPPEE! (Summary at bottom, kinda long.)

The Good

Yup yup, Prodrive P1's in Anthracite, with RE070's mounted, with plenty of tread life left. No curbing, just the general wear and tear one would expect from a several year old wheel. Got them for one hell of a deal.

I tear into the packaging like a kid at Christmas, rearing to slap these things on my car. Hey...what's going on here...

The Bad

Oh bravo UPS. That makes three ~$1000 value shipments of goods that you have ****ed up for me now. Keeping up the precedent I see. Something happened to this wheel that shocked it hard enough to knock it off the bead, blast out the valve stem core, AND the plug that was in the tire already.

Well, there goes my plans of quickly slapping them on. I think for a few minutes, and decide to head over to Speedware in Redmond, who said they could take a look at them and help me out.

They give it a once over, say it should be fine, remount it, shove in a new stem and plug, and bolt all these suckers to my Rex. They looked awesome! They take it out for a test drive while I eagerly get the paperwork done.

Ten minutes later, Mike, the guy who was working on my car, comes back in shaking his head. "Are these balanced? They are wobbling like crazy." A bit flustered, I take the car out for a quick spin myself, and sure enough, very noticeable lateral wobble.

Bah...ok, "Balance them I guess." So they pull them off again, and start balancing them. On the second wheel...this is discovered.

The Ugly

Don't see what you are supposed to be looking for? Look at the profile.

Here, this might help.

Yup. Flipping' sidewall is indented horizontally across the tire, bulging out and some places, and even cracking and peeling in one place. Four lines enclose the two indented sections of the sidewalls, the circled areas are where it's bulging out, and the highlighted area on the circumference is the cracking, as detailed in the later shots.

Boy was I (and still am) steamed at that point. I don't blame the guy who shipped, he said he had them stored individually, with nothing laying on them (and he is being kind enough to split the cost of replacing the tire with me, which vindicates him in my view). My theory? The inside sidewall was facing out during shipping, and UPS stacked all the wheels on top of each other with this one on the bottom, and then put stuff on top, adding even more weight. Speedware says this is long term compression damage, but I think that you have 300+ lb's pushing a sidewall into something over a 4-5 day period sitting in a warehouse, and then in a semi, it's going to do damage.

So there's my tale. Working on getting either a used RE070 or a shaved one from Tire Rack, and hopefully I can have these suckers on within a week or two, with no more complications.

Oh yeah, and UPS. (-_-) ..|..

Summary
UPS damaged tires on the Prodrive P1's I just bought. Much bulging of neck muscles and face reddening ensued.

P.S.
Major kudos to Speedware. Those guys were very helpful, had an awesome shop, and were pretty damn supportive and informative, considering the situation. They've made a repeat customer out of me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucky, next time pay the $2 for insurance.
Oh the shipment was insured, I just got the usual runaround from UPS, the same that they gave me for the last several things they damaged. "The goods were damaged before they were in our possession, or they were not packaged properly, in which case they are not our liability."

Yup, never their fault. Nope nope. Please, ignore the bootprint that was indented into the side of the box my computer was in. Or the mysterious unmounting and squashing of a tire that was perfectly fine when it left California.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
hmm the shipper should be able to send you new ones, and they file a ups claim, if they have good customer service, you seem to say your happy with them, im sure something good happened then. You should watch those guys at ups, they throw packages like shot put. or however its spelt. Fragile means throw harder.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty damn demoralized when it comes to dealing with UPS's damage claims department, but I think I'll give it another go...this is make or break I think for me dealing with UPS. After this, I'm probably going to start asking people who ship me stuff to do FedEx. They aren't much better, but they are better nevertheless.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
OMG jeremy im sooo sory man. This is a major bummer. UPS FTL! hopefully everything will get covered and you will be able to enjoy your rims.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Boy was I (and still am) steamed at that point. I don't blame the guy who shipped, he said he had them stored individually, with nothing laying on them (and he is being kind enough to split the cost of replacing the tire with me, which vindicates him in my view). My theory? The inside sidewall was facing out during shipping, and UPS stacked all the wheels on top of each other with this one on the bottom, and then put stuff on top, adding even more weight. Speedware says this is long term compression damage, but I think that you have 300+ lb's pushing a sidewall into something over a 4-5 day period sitting in a warehouse, and then in a semi, it's going to do damage.
I seriously doubt a few days on a UPS truck would have done this. Also, nothing they have sits in the same place for more than a few days. It gets moved from one truck to another a few times during shipment. Go track your shipment on their website and I'm betting it changed trucks 4-5 times during shipment. It doesn't really sit around a warehouse either.

I wouldn't vindicate the guy you bought them from. I might consider that maybe he knows he didn't store them correctly and by splitting the cost of new one, he's still ahead.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seriously doubt a few days on a UPS truck would have done this. Also, nothing they have sits in the same place for more than a few days. It gets moved from one truck to another a few times during shipment. Go track your shipment on their website and I'm betting it changed trucks 4-5 times during shipment. It doesn't really sit around a warehouse either.

I wouldn't vindicate the guy you bought them from. I might consider that maybe he knows he didn't store them correctly and by splitting the cost of new one, he's still ahead.
I realize that he could be dishonest, but then what the hell can I really do if he is.

When I say it sat in a warehouse, that's because of the weekend. UPS sure as hell doesn't work on weekends.

My theory gets a little stronger I think when you consider that the tire could have been flat for the entire period. It certainly was flat when I received it. Whatever knocked it off the bead clearly released all the air in the tire. You telling me heavy weight pushing down a sidewall when the tire is completely flat won't do anything to it?

Three trucks btw. One to Ontario, CA, then Sacramento, CA, then Redmond, WA.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
WTF.. That really sucks down with ups!!!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
WTF.. That really sucks down with ups!!!
DOWN wich ze UPS!!!!!!!
im going to take my HKS hi power axleback and make it into a bazooka then shoot all UPS trucks for jeremy :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I realize that he could be dishonest, but then what the hell can I really do if he is.
Not much!

When I say it sat in a warehouse, that's because of the weekend. UPS sure as hell doesn't work on weekends.
Three trucks btw. One to Ontario, CA, then Sacramento, CA, then Redmond, WA.
The delivery drivers aren't, but those trucks were moving things around, and delivery hubs are open too.

My theory gets a little stronger I think when you consider that the tire could have been flat for the entire period. It certainly was flat when I received it. Whatever knocked it off the bead clearly released all the air in the tire. You telling me heavy weight pushing down a sidewall when the tire is completely flat won't do anything to it?
My opinion is it's not going to damage it in only a few days. There are people that leave tires on a car for storage for the winter (or longer) and the tire recovers. And those tires have 3000+ lbs of car sitting on them. I doubt UPS is stacking anywhere near that much weight on anything. The main thing that's going to cause what you see is time, not weight, IMHO. I think the guy you bought them from swapped them off his car several years ago and has had them stacked in his garage, with large amounts of weight on them at least some of the time. It wouldn't be the first time somebody used rims to hold up an engine, tranny, or similar thing.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well in the end if the new tire he is setting me up with is good, and everything else is good, he only scammed me out of $40. Not a very good job at ripping someone off :|

(That isn't to say this only is going to cost me $40 to fix, it's just that's the money that will actually make it to his pocket.)

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Well in the end if the new tire he is setting me up with is good, and everything else is good, he only scammed me out of $40. Not a very good job at ripping someone off :|

(That isn't to say this only is going to cost me $40 to fix, it's just that's the money that will actually make it to his pocket.)
i thought wrxs need 4 tires with equal amounts of tread wont the new tire be different???

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm making sure the treadwear will be matched.

·
Registered
905 Posts
this sounds like the shippers negligence. only because he's going to try and help you get it corrected, which leads me to believe he wasnt trying to scam you monetarily, but by passing the headache onto you.

nice wheels though. i like the color of them.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You are right, subies need equal wear on all four tires.. Other wise you could start #)_(_)$# your diffs. one of the sad sides affects of awd is if you replace one tire unless it is hella recent you need to replace all four...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
one of the sad sides affects of awd is if you replace one tire unless it is hella recent you need to replace all four...
Not really, you can get one shaved down to match the treadwear. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone in WA state who can shave tires besides a mobile race tire truck that goes from track to track, which no one had the contact info for. However, Tire Rack shaves tire for a $25 fee.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts