ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my code read for the check engine and as was suggested it came up Fuel cap. But I took it off and tightend it a few times and the check engine light will not go out. Any ideas? I was thinking of disconnecting the battery to see if that will maybe reset it, really not sure..Thanks again.
Bobby

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it actually is the fuel cap leaking, get a new one. Chances are (more realistically) you have an EVAP system leak if your gas cap was seated properly to begin with. Any large leak in the system that is similar to the gas cap being off will trigger a "gross leak in the evap system" code.

Even if you tightened your gas cap it may take a while for the light to go off. Disconnecting your batter will probably cause the light to go off, and if there is still a problem the light will come back on. If not, you're good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, My friend just e-mailed me and the local dealer here is having Customer appreciation month next month and they will look over the cars for free. So I'm in for that.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
If you undo the battery and hold the brakes down for a minute it will clear the old CEL. This will also cause the ECU to reset losing any learning about A/F and knock correction it has done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts