Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is beneficial to remove the TGV's. Im looking to purchase a WRX that has been tuned, and one of the changes was having the TGV's removed and sealed off. I was just wondering what youre opinions were on this or objections. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I cant help Im jut wondering whats a TGV?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Tumble Generator Valves

They help with cold starts and cold performance. I have no idea what performance benefit removing them might provide.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my understanding they are butterflies within the intake that open and close. And to open them permanetly would allow more flow of the intake. This suposedly(not tested) creates more top end power, also i believe the STI does not have any TGV's, this would point to more performance. Not sure on this one though, but it sounds logical.

·
Registered
94 Posts
They might offer a small performance increase, likely up top, and especially if the limits of the intake system are being approached. Unfortunately, there will be a constant CEL if they are removed.

jb

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then we cut the wire to the CEL light, no more CEL:D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing to worry about, i guess its a good thin im living in florida. And how cold is cold, what temp would affect me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
liquidsk8s said:
Nothing to worry about, i guess its a good thin im living in florida. And how cold is cold, what temp would affect me.
Cold as in coolant temps below 70

In the heat of summer the car will run a little rough till it warms up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So its nothing too big right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok maybe someone can help with this problem.

I have the Spec C TGV housings (no butterfly, no plate, no nothing - just open). If the car is cold when I start it - it will lean out SEVERELY on partial throttle boost. EGTs go over 940 C quickly. But, if i just turn it off and start it again once its warm - then its fine.

Suggestions?

Joe

PS - you definitely pick up some airflow with this mod. I also got them ceramic coated and it keeps a fair amount of heat out of the intake manifold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts