Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of replacing the existing TGV's with an aftermarket one, why not use the stock ones and just remove the butterfly flaps in it? (not sure of the technical term for these things but you get the idea)

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's what most people do.. aftermarket TGV "deletes" are a relatively new thing. Before that people actually deleted them from the stock unit. I removed the valves, shafts, and motors from mine.. then welded the holes shut.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure that's what most people do.. aftermarket TGV "deletes" are a relatively new thing. Before that people actually deleted them from the stock unit. I removed the valves, shafts, and motors from mine.. then welded the holes shut.
Could you remove the flaps and and leave them plugged in? This way you don't have to spend the money for open ones, and tie up and tape over the plugs...

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
Some people do that so they don't have to fight the tgv error code that sends the car to limp mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next question: EGR Delete. Delete or not to delete? I see that people say that it is better for the engine as it prevents carbon buildup on the valves... But will I run into emissions issues? My guys says that it is an emission device and will cause inspection issues if removed.
Anyone run into inspection issues after the EGR delete?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Next question: EGR Delete. Delete or not to delete? I see that people say that it is better for the engine as it prevents carbon buildup on the valves... But will I run into emissions issues? My guys says that it is an emission device and will cause inspection issues if removed.
Anyone run into inspection issues after the EGR delete?

Thanks!

That's going to depend entirely on what the inspection requirements and testing procedures are in your county. I've had no problem passing with a catless exhaust, vented catch can, and EWG dump straight to atmosphere, but that's because where I get my cars inspected the only emissions related requirement for passing inspection is that your check engine light can't be on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.