Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the car has disc brake austrailia x-drilled/slotted rotors up front,been on since 2002, seemed to grab really hard and stop on a dime, but when i got up to speed and hit the brakes there was sort of violent pulsing/jerking of steering. is this a sign of badly warped rotors? do all wrx's have this sort of problem with upgraded rotors(i'm guessing not)? the rotors supposedly have a lifetime guarantee not to warp.
does the abs just pulse that hard? that's what the guy said that the subaru dealer said it was, just the abs, but i've never felt abs like that.
is this evidence of a bad wreck? i had a car fax run on it, came up clean, but i dont trust it that much.
any help is very much appreciated, as i really want this car, and i plan on getting it monday, so i need ot know what else i should hit the owner up to repair before i take delivery.
thanks,
imran

pix to come when i get them uploaded

·
Registered
691 Posts
the abs system on the WRX is very wierd like that. Its very overbearing. I think what your feeling is completly normal.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The ABS kicks back hard through the brake pedal, but should not jerk the steering to the side.

DBA x-drilled rotors have been known to crack after track use - check them for cracks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shibby and WTypeRogerX
thanks for the replies, i was a little worried about that abs, just very overbearing like you guys said. and i'll check the rotors more closely for cracks.
i'll let you guys know if i get the car tomorrow:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like the rotors are "out of round". I took my stock ones in at 21,000 miles because they had the same exact symptoms you are describing and Subaru machined them under warranty. They are very smooth now and absolutely no pulsing at any speed. ABS has a different pulse than warped rotors. More of a mushy, controlled pulse. Unless you were slamming on the brakes hard, I don't think you should experience any pulsing. I've heard of rotors warping from improper torque on the lug nuts.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hmm, before my '02 was totalled, I noticed some vibration under moderately hard braking coming off a long somewhat steep offramp off the freeway. Going from 80+ down to pretty much a stop since there was a fairly large blind spot with the bridge overpass blocking my view off the right turn merge. I didn't think it was ABS since I wasn't approaching lockup or braking that hard and it wasn't pulsing quite as hard as I've felt in the past when it was definitely ABS. Moot point now since that car is history. Oh, and that was stock rotors and pads around 15k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts