Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tesla Model 3

6K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  webbrowan 
#1 ·
Tesla Model 3: This Is It

Confirmed deets:
  • $35k starting price.
  • Seats 5 real adults.
  • Sub 6 second 0-60 in base trim. Higher specs are "much faster".
  • Single motor and dual motor options.
  • 215 mile range in base trim. Higher trims have a lot more.
  • Autonomous features and Supercharger compatibility are standard on all trims.
  • Glass roof extending across the entire cabin standard.

Thoughts:
The 15" screen tacked onto the otherwise spartan dash is an interesting move. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a HUD is offered when the car enters production. While clearly a prototype, the director of engineering at Tesla stated the interior is the production intent of the Model 3, so I wouldn't anticipate a drastic departure of what you see there. I would expect to see steering wheel buttons added, minor fit/finish tweaks, etc.

In the prototype car Jalopnik rode in, the engineer stated it was a dual motor vehicle, and you can see it hauls ass when he plants it.

The grill-less front end will be polarizing, but is likely a function of the extremely low drag coefficient the car is rumored to have. While I don't like the oncoming view, the car does look good in profile. My guess is this will become an increasingly common design trait across the auto industry in the drive for increasingly more slippery vehicles.

I can see this eating into BMW's 3-series market share, but probably not touching anything Subaru sells, except maybe some STI buyers who were already anticipating forking over $40k for a reasonably speedy sport sedan and are open to looking at electric cars (I don't imagine that's a huge number of people, but some, I'm sure).

I put down my $1k deposit yesterday when online deposits went live. I didn't want to wait in the 5 block long line at our local Tesla store...

See less See more
#6 ·
No I doesn't, I guarantee that's an aerodynamic feature. I think even just contrasting paint would break up the front a little bit, but I think this is something people are just going to have to get used to.

#5 ·
Ahhh yeah. I was highly anticipating this. I've been a musky since well, back when he was talking about going to Mars and electric cars. I have always believed in everything he's done. I am really mulling the idea around of "Should" I do this. Should i? I have no particular reason too. However, I am highly intrigued by the science, electric, physics, everything. Plus, I have plenty of charging ports and superchargers local.

I am thinking of putting the deposit down, tonight.. By that point, my car will be paid off. So I should have the extra cash to keep both if I wanted. So, I feel like it might be a good idea. My local teslas were ridiculously busy. No way was I going to do such.. But I am a big TESLA fan as some of you know. So I think this will be drive the competition quite considerably. And being Musk, that is what he wants.

#10 ·
It is. And I agree. The touchscreen is something all cars will do. It's going to happen no matter what, just due to the fact that's where everything is heading. And I do agree with the front end, it looks different. But I can dig it.. But the dark colors look better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I am a TSLA stock owner. And I am holding out until I reach an investment goal, to get the fastest model S. But I am absolutely loving the almost 200,000 pre-orders already for the 3. This car coupled with the fact tesla is building the infrasrtucture of their supercharger network gives me golden chills.

#12 ·
Me too :beerchug: I'm a big alternative energy nut. I still have my patented hydrogen powered car design sitting in my notebook :)

It's quite amazing. I'm excited to see what happens. Especially with the 5% rise, but the rally overall this month has been great.

#13 ·
:wiggles:

Text Font Screenshot Logo Technology

#15 ·
Dumb question . . . grills are in most conventional gasoline powered engines to aid in cooling . . . yes? No?

Do electric powered vehicles get hot and require cooling?

I honestly don't know the answer . . . most of my experience with electric vehicles was years ago while working as a Greenskeeper in high school/college with electric golf carts.

#16 ·
I'd have to see one in person. The S is truly drop dead gorgeous.

The grille-less snout is odd. Really odd. I'd have preferred a fake one really.

Yes, they need cooling, but obviously not under the hood or bonnet or whatever it is.

#18 ·
Tesla needs to get a car out in the 20k range. That's the price point you have to win over.
I'd guess that has always been in the works. I really hope Tesla takes off and sticks around a good long time.

Love to see them make an affordable lightweight sports car.

#21 ·
Musk answered a lot of questions over Twitter last weekend. Some highlights:

• The interior design shown in the prototypes was not at all finalized. Part 2 of the Model 3 reveal will answer everyone's questions about the touchscreen and driver controls.
  • Apparently the steering wheel will integrate lots of features yet to be seen (the demo cars just had placeholder wheels). In Musk's words, the final steering configuration will be "like a spaceship".
  • The front end design is still in flux, and Musk is open to suggestions.
  • The drag coefficient is not finalized, but targeted for .21.
  • The rear trunk opening could be made larger in the final version.
  • The rear seats do fold down.
  • AWD will definitely be an option (this was already stated, but 100% confirmed).
  • Air suspension will be an option, just like on the S and X.
  • All pre-orders will get some Tesla swag, people that waited in lines will get something extra.
  • There are quite a few features yet to be shown off.

#27 ·
I reserved one on Tuesday... I figure I'll probably have 2 years to think about it. I would definitely get the dual motor setup, just the thought of instantaneous torque at any RPM, sounds really nice. I've always been big into electric RC cars over gas, so I figured I would just go for it on a bigger scale.... However if Subaru gets around to making hatchback WRX's before then, I'll probably cancel my reservation and get my money back.

#28 ·
I as well preordered one.. Last night. I've been debating for a while. Next year I was purchasing a jeep, to add to our collection. However, this will replace it. We plan on staying in/around a city so it's a better option anyway, verses a lifted Jeep Wrangler (I'll get one still one day....). And j can always cancel it.

Here's some fun info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.