Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am freaking out a little bit. Yesterday I installed the Invidia n1 single exit exhaust on my 2018 wrx. I drove it around for an hour or so last night with zero issues and it sounded great.

Fast forward to this morning. I started the car and drove roughly half of a mile. It then started making a knocking/clicking noise but it also sounds like something could be hitting off of the drive shaft because when I go faster it gets faster but then it goes away after 3-4K RPMs. I also do not have a check engine light so I would assume if it were my engine I would have one. It’s also not doing it when I idle.

Here is a video that highlights the sound: https://vimeo.com/331994806?ref=em-share&utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Any ideas what this could be? I plan to get it up on the jack and look underneath once I get home from work but I want to see if anyone has had experience with this kind of things.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I can't hear anything with the wind and the blowoff valve. Look for something rubbing.

Does the sound change with engine rpm or only movement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It changes when the rpms increase and eventually I can’t hear it (around 4-5k).

There’s one point about 6-7 seconds into the video where you can really hear it.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
It changes when the rpms increase and eventually I can’t hear it (around 4-5k).

There’s one point about 6-7 seconds into the video where you can really hear it.
Then that's not your driveshaft. That's internal. Check for a tensioner pulley or perhaps a heat shield near the engine. Does it do it if the car is stationary?

I'm going to be honest. If the sound is as you describe and it's engine rpm based. I would be checking oil for metal. I tried again and still can't hear anything over the wind

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could it be the dreaded piston slap? Is there any way an exhaust could have caused that and will they still cover it under the factory 36k mike warranty?

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Could it be the dreaded piston slap? Is there any way an exhaust could have caused that and will they still cover it under the factory 36k mike warranty?
Look, check for heat shield and stuff first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn’t anything hitting anything. I have an appointment with Subaru and they suspect it to be the timing belt tensioner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts