Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i have had the car i've launched and missed 2nd gear hard enough to grind the gear about 5-6 times. When i do that and try to go into second i just either wait a seconda and then go into second or i put it into 3rd. Well every time this happens it gets worse and worse. Right after it happens i can't get into 2nd or 1st at all. No matter how hard i try to put it in there it won't go in. Well after working it through the gears for about 5 minutes it will go into second and then work into first. When this happens it's really hard to get into first. Then i park the car and let it sit overnight. The next morning it is fine. Well i went to the track again Friday night and slightly missed 2nd gear on 2 runs. It was just barely. Most of the time it didn't even make a sound. Well on my last run i missed it bad. Then i put it into second and punched it. After i did that i finished the 1/4 and slowed down to turn off. When i tried to go into second it wouldn't go at all. Not even first. I had to pull over with my hazards on for about 10 minutes. After working with it trying to force it into second i finally got it in. So i slipped the clutch bad and smelled it bad in second to get it moving. I went to a gas station avoiding a stop to get gas. When i got there i still couldn't get it into first. I worked with it for another 10 minutes or so trying to gently force it in. Then it tried to go in. But when i'd give a little gas it would pop out. So i kept playing with it some more. Then finally it went in and i got home. (1.5 hour drive) So i parked the car and let it sit. Well the next morning i drove it. I can get into first and second every time now. Still a little notchy. So i let it sit some more. Then drove it yesterday night. It goes into gear fine. However this time it's still notchy and really stiff going into first and second. While trying to force it into first at the gas station the shifter got stuck where i couldn't move it at all. I had to keep forcing it around to get it into neutral. This is the worse this has ever happened. I"m sure there is some damage inside there so i won't be dragging for a while. My question is what exactly did i damage? It's weird that if i let it sit overnight it goes into gear but now it's still stiff. It usually happens when the clutch is hot from doing a few runs. Almost as though the clutch heats up too much and won't all it into gear. May not have anything to do with it. Just wanted you guys' input. And please keep the flaming to a minimum. I need input not jokes. Sorry so long.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of "bent shift fork" except for the part about it curing itself when the car sits overnight.

Maybe there's a lot of heat in the clutch and it doesn't fully disengage so you get the grind?

There's a question - when it won't go in gear does it GRIND or does it just "refuse" to "snick" into place?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it won't go into gear it doesn't grind. It just refuses. Like there is something there blocking it. It does grind when it happens going into second that causes this. But afterwards it just refuses to go in. Not really any sounds. If any sounds at all it's a crunching noise like i'm rubbing metal to metal. I have been driving it today and it's driving fine. But it is alot notchier in first and second. And when i put it into first sometimes it feels like it doesn't go in all the way. So i take it back out and do it again. It's shifting fine again but not 100% like it used to. This is about the 5th time this has happened. I'd really like to know what it is so that i can replace/upgrade the part so that i don't have this problem. As far as i can see this is the only weak point in the car. Although it's shifting into those gears again they are difenately more difficult and notchier to get into gear than before. But it's weird how it goes to not going into gear if my life depended on it to working fine the next day. I've been reading on the web but seems that mine is the only one that does this.

For some reason i think it's clutch related. But i don't know enough about transmissions to make that assumption. And if it is clutch related i'm sure i have done some damage in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sounds like classic bent shift fork to me... The only part that is confounding is the heat related issue.

Maybe it's time to get the trans. pulled - get it worked over (see what's bent in there - it'll be obvious when the trans. comes apart - in fact with a bent shift fork sometimes the trans. doesn't want to come apart! :p) and replace the clutch/pressure plate while you're at it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
next time this happens try shutting the engine off and see if it will shift into first or second. if it does your clutch is not fully disengaging. if it still refuses then problem is inside the transmission. sounds like a clutch problem tho. maybe a bit of air in the hydraulics? hth.

·
Registered
110 Posts
no no no no dont go and pull the trannny apart, my car does this since it was stock when the car is cold. just friday i left work in a hurry and didt let the car warm up at all before taking off.... i hopped right on the highway and easily worked up to 5th gear shifting at 4500 or 5000

going maybe 65 - 70 or so i try to downshift to 4th rev matching a little bit like i always do and Blocked, it wouldnt go in,

and thats an easy shift, it just wouldnt go in, and i wasnt trying to put it in reverse either

this has happened a few times since i got it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did turn off the engine when it did it. I still couldn't get it into first at all and it took awhile to get into second. After about 20 minutes i finally worked it into first.

This isn't a being cold issue. It does it after i've been launching and racing for awhile. The car is for sure warm enough. I don't get on it if it's cold. I'm sure that's not the issue.

something happens that locks me out from 1st and 2nd. After the car has ample cooldown overnight the next morning it's fine and shifts fine. But when it does it you can't get it into first no matter how hard you push on the shifter until it's ready to go in.

Yesterday and today it's shifting fine again. Just a tad notchier it seems. Really weird. I haven't heard of this from anyone else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
check ur tranny fluid for one.

get it looked by dealer. dont tell them u drag race or u will be paying for the services.

ask about a TSB (technical service bulletin) from SoA. there is one for clutch problems. try to use that to ur advantage.

may be time for an upgrade.

good luck

·
Registered
594 Posts
hmmm.... did you try rocking the car back and forth a bit while it was off and putting pressure on the shifter (into 1st or 2nd)? im just thinkin it really cant be in the tranny if it is better after it sits. maybe your clutch (or something else) is getting hot enough to boil the fluid going to the clutch slave. just a thought. let us know how it works out. definitely wierd problem.:confused:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hmm...I'm having a problem sort of like this...when I'm driving and try to downshift it feels like it refuses to go into 1st (you can tell why I barely noticed this). But then from a stop to moving it will go in no problem :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i tried rocking it. But i do think it's clutch or fluid related. i think my next mod will be clutch. But i'm afraid that when the clutch goes to get put in that they'll find some damage and then my car will be down. that's why i want some sort of idea what it is. but my car is fine now. I've been driving it for a few days. And like i've been saying this isn't the first time it's happened.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
sounds like a combination of severley beaten synchros and a warped fork. i don't think the dealer is going to be really receptive to giving you warranty coverage, as that is most certainly an abuse issue. missing a gear during normal operations would not have this type of result.

good luck.

dR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts