ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
put in the TBE.

I have searched and read the FAQ and to put it bluntly i got sick of reading after about 4 pages of the 80 or so. It is just easier to ask.

I want a TBE. I have narrowed the catback down to the Greddy Evo2 SP2 or the Borla Hush.

What all do i need to buy in order to install the TBE.

I will prolly get the Helix UP/DP combo unless someone can recommend something better. I noticed the Helix has a flex section which helps prevent leaks i think i read???

So say i buy a cat back, up/dp combo. What else do i need to buy to complete the system? I want a highflow cat which one will mate with these and the bellmouth design? What gaskets, hangers and stuff like that do i need to get?
In other words I need to put this in what all do i need besides the actually piping?

Thanks.

PS i like the sound of the 3 catbacks i listed above but all the other parts that i will need are still in the air and i would like recommendations. Money is not an option i want some good stuff so let me know if there is better UP/DP than the Helix. And that will fit. Thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
TBE.. buy a downpipe and catback and your good.. the helix and greddy are a nice combination. they should both come w/ new gaskets.
INSTALL
then unbolt your catback and take it off the hangers move it away
unscrew your 02 sensor and tuck it out of the way
remove a whole crap load of annoying little heat shields
unscrew the downpipe from the turbo
unscrew trans bracket(s)
slide off downpipe set it aside.
Connect new downpipe to turbo w/ new gasket
connect trans brackets
connect 02 sensor
connect catback to downpipe w/ new gasket and attach to hangers

DONE.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
for the highflow cat, maybe look into the helix catted dp. the helix downpipe mates right to the catback, so there isn't room to add an extra cat. if you want the cat, just pay the extra hundred or so dollars for the catted dp.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got the cheapest, ugliest exaust for about $350. Up-pipe, down pipe, and everything else back. All 3" and insta-rust, but I painted it black with rustolium years ago. i love it. It is from VRS exaust in florida. We are putting exaust underneath our cars, why pay out the butt for a shiny exaust? It is going to get all crapped out anyway. i have been 11.2 @ 124 in the 1320', So, I'm happy. Expensive exaust systems just don't make sense! Are you making a show car with mirrors under your car? Are you rich? Spend money on a big turbo, or get some booze and hookers!

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
turbo2nr said:
I got the cheapest, ugliest exaust for about $350. Up-pipe, down pipe, and everything else back. All 3" and insta-rust, but I painted it black with rustolium years ago. i love it. It is from VRS exaust in florida. We are putting exaust underneath our cars, why pay out the butt for a shiny exaust? It is going to get all crapped out anyway. i have been 11.2 @ 124 in the 1320', So, I'm happy. Expensive exaust systems just don't make sense! Are you making a show car with mirrors under your car? Are you rich? Spend money on a big turbo, or get some booze and hookers!
Most obscure post ever. You're hiding a ton of info, that's for sure. Any more details about your set up? Timeslips :D ?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
turbo2nr said:
any more info about the booze and hookers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
when you install an aftermarket downpipe, it replaces the catalytic converter. Won't our WRX's (mine is a 04) throw a CEL (Check engine light) since the 02 sensor is not reading a filtered exhaust gas?

Or is the 02 sensor on the downpipe pre-cat?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have min. of five cel codes, airbag light on, abs light on. So what? I run a MSD fuel pump booster to raise voltage to [email protected] 28psi on an adj. curve. That throws a cel. No cats makes a cel of course. i have tried many electronic gizmos, but no luck, but my cel would be on anyway. i have all avo turbos, some i use in winter for street, the biggest is when game is on at the drag strip.
i use a snow methanol inj. to slow down combustion(I use nitrous to go drag racing and to spool big turbo) and to cool intake, combustion chamber(fight dreaded detonation).
I use a Moroso fuel cooler(cool can) to keep the few gallons of race gas cool and dense with the big pump. I have an MRT dog box which i have had problems finding the right 4th gear ratio. I had a 1:1 made for me by Brett. i can now go 133mph in 4th @7100rpm. I use a 14" k&n air filter and intake i made with a GM mass air screen before the suby meter(honeycomb style) to straighten air for good readings at high boost. i still use the old unichip, but I have one of two existing maps made by Phil(formerly of TXS) for 116octane, nitrous, and sick ign. timing. Race only!! I now have a r180 rear diff, STi axels with upgraded shafts and a one piece aluminum driveshaft from the driveshaft shop. I had an eight point roll cage added (track rules) and an aluminum drag wing off of the rear trunk lid. Light weight seats, no swaybars,no sub-frame connector, no abs, no airbags, no a/c.
I put ice or dry ice on my top mount intercooler in the pits. I like the top mount for drag racing for the quicker spoolup and the ability to ice down. Too much piping on front mount. I have beenthrough a few motors and still use cheap ej20 with crower pro rods, je pistons, arp head studs, cometic high boost gaskets. I use a heat range cooler plug with a smaller than stock gap. I have had good luck with Sunoco red max#5, nos blend race gas 116 octane and non-lubed methanol inj.
i run a dual fuel system with two regulators, but am switching to an AVO adj. reg on my firewall to raise static pressure for more boost. i always take off all exaust except my down pipe. Put a torq strap I made on motor to keep motor from flopping around during launch and shifts(no false knock) My suby can now run with my Grand National to the end of 1320., But I have plans for my GN! Watch out for the pair of Black cars in Richmond, VA! I will take your money, then go get some more booze and hookers!(or more go fast parts)

Scott,AKA Turbo2nr

Come on!, how much difference do you really think there is between the 248 different exausts for our cars? All this micky mouse tricks, and pretty shapes really don't do that much. When i race, i bet nothing is even comming out of my waste gate. If so it is sooo small amount, that i do not care. Turbo power is in the boost, not much after the turbo. If you can reach your target boost, then your exaust is good enough! I cannot reach 30psi with a muffler and a resonator, so i ditch them! A muffler and restrictive exaust is a good idea to prevent too much boost on the street with pump gas. A 2.0 liter motor does not need a 3" exaust with the baby boost on pump gas! It is a 2 liter for goodness sake! Not a 454ci big block! but when you flow big boost, well....that is different, and expensive!

·
Registered
1 Posts
what in thee f*ck does this have to do with tpc01x's question?

i asked what is 1+1.

you gave me astrological calculations.

........<- you say. exactly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was answering a question from the moderator, trailboss.

If you mix and match exaust, you are on your own. Try to call the manufactures to get info. Some exaust use a donut gasket, some have a normal flange. Some end at stock joints, some do not. Pipe diameter is important when matching, but a good exaust shop can make anything work! Just call the companys yourself! Then you will know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My brain and my eyes hurt after reading all that. I thought that I knew a little something about our cars...obivously I dont know crap after reading that...sheesh....good info though.

caelin~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts