Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw one of these installed on a WRX yesterday. It looked pretty good. It's a Samco silicone hose that runs from the air filter to the inlet for the turbo. It's inner diameter is substantially wider than the stock hose. I especially like the way it leaves the stock air box and MAF sensor intact, including the resonator, snorkel etc. It seems to me to be much more beneficial than simply chopping the resonator up, and more reliable than putting in a whole new cold air intake. I-club members have reported varyind degrees of fitment issues - some say it was a total pain in the ass to put in, others didn't have a problem. It seems Samco made them for older Impreza model specs based on what Subaru told them. Hopefully, this has been resolved by now. I haven't been able to find much information on its gains though. Anybody know anything? Anybody here have one?

Here's a picture from Teague's Auto where I'd most likely buy it from (prior excellent service deserves a free plug, I always say):

http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm

I know someone has them available in black as well.

Here's a pic comparing the Samco inlet hose and the stocker. Quite a difference!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm not sure who it was, possibly nmyeti, that tried this and said it did nothing for performance. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the install. Looking at the way the intake is routed under the intake manifold. I wouldn't touch this install and I'm very mechanically inclined. Something about removing an intake manifold for something this trivial bothers me. :)

-Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is probably a worthwhile mod to do if you've got the intake manifold off already (injectors, porting, honing, etc). As a stand alone mod? Eh, the money is probably better spent elsewhere.

jb

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree w/ everyone else.....if you take a look at what is involved to perform that install....does not look good at all.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone here besides NMYeti who has it installed on his/her WRX? Does anyone at least know of someone with the inlet hose installed? Or has taken a ride in a WRX with the inlet hose installed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have installed it. I did it without removing the intake. However, you have to remove the PCV barb from the stock piece in order to get the stock one out and remove the same barb from the new hose to get the Samco in.

Not a HUGE deal, but a little unnerving nonetheless. I cut the stock barb off so I can put it back on later instead of breaking it off. As far as the Samco, you can use some silicone sealant to put the barb back in after you have installed it.

If you'd like, you can email me for more insight.

As far as performance is concerned, I did so much at one time that I cannot tell you if this did anything for performance. My guess is that it does free things up a little, but not necessarily enough to warrant the trouble. I have intentions of other modifications down the road, so I decided to install it while I could get a good deal on the piece. If you do not have or have not planned any substantial modifications to both the exhaust and intake, I would leave this for later.

Good luck.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bobgrice said:
If you do not have or have not planned any substantial modifications to both the exhaust and intake, I would leave this for later.
A very good point. I have had some recent mods done, so I've been wondering if I'm getting enough air in. Relevant mods are: TurboXS Unichip Stage 1 ver 2.0, Graham Goode up pipe (DON'T GET IT!), Samco intercooler hoses, 3rd cat removal pipe, Stromung dual tip muffler (stocker to be replaced soon). The Unichip is supposed to peak at ~16 psi in 3rd and 4th gear. Lately, I've been seeing it peak at less pressure - not that I mind since the cars pulls stronger than ever with the up pipe and IC hoses. I did not bother installing the TurboXS bleed valve that came with the chip.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have this peice, and i don't really think its worth the pain to install it.

Just move the turbo with a nice new up and downpipe if your planning to really open up the intake path.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts