Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The installation is fairly simple. Three little bolts on top two big ones on the bottom. You'll need a spring compressor inorder to reuse the strut tops. I swapped the fronts out to the MRT adjustable camber plates. Why? I have no idea. I'm just having fun changing parts:D The top bolt, of the ones closest to the wheel, have a shoulder on them for adjusting camber. take a pen and trace around the components prior to disassembling them. It should help keep things close to alignment when you install your new coilovers. YOU WILL NEED TO DO AN ALIGNMENT.
adjusting ride height: this is a few day process as the car will settle on the coil overs. I started some where around stock height and have been slowly working my way down. Hey, if anyone has any pointers on where to measure these things I'm willing to listen. I'm currently gathering this data with an inside calliper measuring from backing nut to the bottom of the threaded section.
Performance: This is one ridgid suspension package. The car sits flat under the harshes cornering. Perfect for the tarmac. With that said, I would not use this set up for rally or rally like conditions. the ride is to harsh. I still need to try them out on groomed dirt roads.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a wagon and have considered the TEIN coilovers as well. Great initial review. Keep us posted as you break them in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the short break in the rain here in the north east, I had chance really give them a good hard push. As expected, the performance is nothing short of phenomenal an smooth roads. Still, the harshness of the ride on the patched and broken tarmac is taking some getting use to.
This weekend I'll put the final adjustment to the front coilovers. I'll post the measurements on the coilover and ride height when I'm done.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you elect to use the MRT adjustable camber plates you will find the engagement of the nut on the strut rod does not thread in to the nylock portion. This is due to the thickness of the chamber plate. Some locktite on the threads will ensure the nut will not back out.
If anyone has any experience with this as well, I'm all ears.
Jazz

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, are your coilovers still alive? I have about $1500 to spend on a suspension setup some time in the next week or 2, and I was considering the Tein Wagon setup.

Do you have your own scales to do corner weighting? Or did you have someone else do it? Or did you just sort of eye-ball it? ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Short answer: eyeballed it.
slightly longer version: I liked the stock weight distribution well enough. So I kept roughly the same attitude. However I've slowly been tuning in my ride height. (I'm down around an inch. I can see coming down a 1/2 more, but we'll see what kind of problems that brings when the 17s go on in the spring).
use some calipers to measure your height settings so you can match each set. (ie LF matches RF and LR matches RR.)

excellent road system. smoother since they've broken in (hard to describe).
only dislike- you will notice a rattling sound over broken choppy pavement.
- Jazz

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's good info, thanks. Have you ever been able to compare your setup to one of the more expensive coilovers, i.e. JIC FLT-A2 or Tein HA/RA? How is the ride difference / handling difference?

Other people have mentioned the Tein noise thing as well. Oh, well...

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you go another 1/2 inch drop and you finally get those 17's you will have no problem at all, i seriously doubt that you would even have a problem if you went down another 1/2 inch on top of that.

i would just tell you to stick with 215's and stay away from 225's on those 17's.;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
rexwagon said:
That's good info, thanks. Have you ever been able to compare your setup to one of the more expensive coilovers, i.e. JIC FLT-A2 or Tein HA/RA? How is the ride difference / handling difference?

Other people have mentioned the Tein noise thing as well. Oh, well...
i will tell you ....

the ra's and ha's are a much stiffer ride then the wagons.......even though they offer the dampening adjustment(the wagons do not) and you set them on 0 all around (the softest) they will still be more stiff .

·
1,911 Posts
Actually not necessarily. It depends on what spring rates you use. The HA's actually have been discontinued. The Flex and SS kits have replaced them and use softer spring rates. The RA's ride superbly with a 6/5 spring rate. That's what I used and it was outstanding both in terms of handling and ride comfort.

·
Registered
45 Posts
God said:
Actually not necessarily. It depends on what spring rates you use. The HA's actually have been discontinued. The Flex and SS kits have replaced them and use softer spring rates. The RA's ride superbly with a 6/5 spring rate. That's what I used and it was outstanding both in terms of handling and ride comfort.
actually the HA'S are not discontinued ,yet.

and where did you get 6/5 for the RA'S from? they are 8/6....which makes them much harder than the 5/3 wagon coilovers.the HA'S are just being discontinued for the GC8 and even the spring rates on the HA'S are much stiffer than the wagon's at 7/6.

i just want to make sure that he gets his facts straight because your facts are pretty skewed.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Tein has more than one spring option

·
Registered
45 Posts
GV27 said:
Tein has more than one spring option
DUH!

but, when you order those coilovers "as is" from the factory ....the spring rates that i listed are what comes with them. tein just doesn't throw different spring rates on their set ups without your input on them. i know, i have custom spring rates on mine. what a way to do business, "hey chin, just throw these springs onn there....i think he would want the 5/7's instead of the 8/7's" .:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Duh yourself!

God said "Actually not necessarily. It depends on what spring rates you use". You told him he was wrong - even asked "where did you get that?". Then you turn around and say "duh" like "I knew that" when I pointed out that God's right. Come on, you didn't know. Otherwise you would have simply clarified what you were talking about instead of telling him he was wrong. You would have said your piece about the default rates and having to specify something else instead of waiting for someone else to confirm that other rates are available

BTW How much did they charge you to custom wind those springs for you?

·
Registered
45 Posts
look, you were right about god referring to custom spring rates,i knew this and so did you. like i said in my last post,i was going by from the factory "stock" tein spring rates with those set ups....not custom. why wouldn't i know that tein has more than one spring option? i have custom springs on my set up.....jesus, why don't you take your head out of god's crotch for a second and read between the lines.

edited by GV27 to delete unnecessary and irrelevant personal attack on another member's business dealings.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I only posted because you asked. To refresh your memory you said "where did you get 6/5 for the RA'S from?". The answer is that Tein has optional springs available. If you'd know that, you wouldn't have asked. The fact that you claim Tein custom wound a set of springs for you does not mean that you are an expert on the Tein product line. I don't claim to be either. I just claim to know BS when I smell it.

:mad: Now as far as that "God's crotch" comment: That is totally out of line. I understand you're pissed 'cause I called BS on you, but that kind of thing is not needed here. For the record, I was not taking anybody's side. You trying to be a know-it-all just annoys me. I don't know God, have never dealt with God and honestly I sometimes find his posts a bit annoying. (Sorry Dan :( )

I deleted your personal attack on God's business. Take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
45 Posts
look, i am not claiming to know everything. i was simply stating the difference between the 3 stocked spring rates on each of those coilovers. if you order those systems without asking for custom springs you will get the rates that i mentioned,period..... that was my point .

"rexwagon" questioned the ride quality differences between these set ups and i answered according to the stock ratings on how the sytems differ. out of the people that i know with teins ...maybe 1 out of 10 actually took the time to think and get custom spring rates for their set up.

i am not tryingto get in a battle over who knows the most about these suspensions and what not, i was simply stating what i knew and what my opinions were on GOD and his thoughts. he never clearly stated that he had custom rates or that they were available. i know that most of the people i talk to have absolutely no clue that tein offers different choices other than what is posted on their site and so on.

about my comments with god's business,

i am sorry for bringing that up but i have had a very bad taste in my mouth after doing business with him and i don't spare the **** talk about the GODSPEED business when i get the chance to share my opinions.

i am sorry for being harsh on you and this whole argument, fact of the matter is we were both misunderstanding one another and it's just a message board and opinions.

good day, robsta:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
by the way, the cost for my springs i believe was right around 150 bucks or so....

i spent so much money and bought so much stuff in such a small amount of time that i cannot recall what exactly i paid for everything without digging for my reciept folder.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
OIC, they're one of the options then, not actually custom wound to your specs, right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah, basically i have the ha strut....before they went to the 16 way.(mine are 24 way adjustable) i went with the spring rates of the ra's ...which are 8/6 .

i find them to be pretty stiff but they suit my driving style perfect and my car is as neutral as i think i can get it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts