ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a set of TEIN S-Tech Springs and haven't put them on my car yet. I have heard alot of negative things about these springs. I expected that the ride/handling would be a little better with the car being lowered on these springs. Am I wrong assuming this. Also, I have read that the car will bounce more. I figured these springs would make the ride stiffer. Any suggestions or others that have these springs that can help me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have these springs on my STi for over two months now and I think they are great, good for starters (inexpensive). It is a stiffer ride but the sitting of the rear end upon acceleration is near gone, a more planted feeling. It has also helped my times running SCCA, lower center of grav and less body roll due to higher spring rate. Good luck I'm sure you will like them. Be warned it is a stiffer ride, harsher on the bumps.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The ride is a bit stiffer, but i wouldnt say its unbearable, tho i dont really do a lotta driving on bumpy roads thankfully...corning im sure is improved to an extent...i bought my car w/ the s-techs and a rear sway bar on it, so i really cant compare the cornering to stock since i dont know what thats like! haha. If youre lookin for a nice low stance, these springs will definently do it tho. However, as im sure youre aware of since you said youve heard a lot of negative things, the drop on these springs are a bit much for the stock struts, and they will wear out much quicker, plus i think the spring rate on these are messed up somehow or somthing, im not really sure. I think for what they cost they're pretty decent spings as long as you dont plan on doing a lotta auto-x'ing or hard racing or anything like that. like most people say, they're pretty much just "show" springs

the s-techs they made for the 04+ models such as ur2 slo has are different from the 02-03 models and are much better. the 02-03's they just messed up on. but i think as long as youre nice to the car they're alright

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The negative things you have heard were about the old verion of the s-techs. They dropped the car too much and did not have spring rates high enough to support the drop especially in the rear. The result was riding on the bumpstops on every hard turn in the rear. The new verision has upped the spring rates a bit so they ride a little harsher and handle better then the old ones. So it depends on which verision you have.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anyway of knowing which version I have? They are for my 02 WRX but I just purchased them this week brand new. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
02-03 s techs. 217 in the front and 158 in the rear. the 04's have the improved rate. If you want a deep drop with better rates, the rsr down springs would be better. 218 in the front and 176 in the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts