Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want oversteer from your WRX? Read on...

I switched my suspension from the Cobb Stage II (STi lowering springs and custom valved single adjustable Koni shocks) to the Tein RA 8/6 suspension.

Immediately after I got the suspension installed and aligned I took an Evolution Driving school for autocross. I made about 50 runs and was very happy with the suspension. I think I had the second fastest time at the school, behind a turbocharged miata on race tires (I run Falken Azenis). The instructors (multiple time national champion autocross drivers) even commented on how well the car handled. Here's my review:

BTW... I was running near zero toe all around, -2 deg camber up front and -0.5 camber in the rear.

*It was planted rock solid through the slaloms.
*I had some understeer through the sweepers and the skid pad though.
*Ride is pretty stiff for a daily driver. It is about 200% rougher than stock and about 25% rougher than the Stage II suspension. You will have trouble changing stereo channels on a bumpy freeway.
*Handling was much improved over the Cobb Stage II. Its not really apples to apples though since the Stage II uses lighter springs. The Cobb Stage III is probably more comperable to the Tein setup or maybe even better. I don't know.
*High speed, steady state, handling is greatly improved. Offramp speeds are up about 3mph which is about how much better the Stage II was over the stock suspension.
*High speed transitions are rock solid
*No clunking noises like I was getting with the Stage II setup.
*The RA suspension recommended height gives a pretty even vender/tire gap front and rear. The RA setup will put the front a little lower than the STi lowering springs.

I was getting a bit of understeer so I put a little more toe out in the rear. I had an autocross yesterday and with the toe out setting I could rotate the rear end of the car AT WILL! I about spun the car on the first run because I wasn't expecting that response. I stiffened up the front shocks and by the final run I was getting used to the feel. It was wonderful to have oversteer whenever I wanted it. I may have too much rear toe out for some courses but it was perfect for this one. I don't know how much toe out I have. I started with just a fraction of a degree toe out and I moved it one mark on the eccentric on the rear. I ended up #1 in the PAX by a few tenths of a second out of 112 cars. I had previously been running around #7 in the PAX. Some of the improvement was probably from the driving school also. I'm very pleased with the RA suspension to say the least.

So, if your primary goal is performance then I highly recommend the Tein RA suspension. It has really made the car more competitive and fun to drive.

BTW, Tein USA was NOT very helpful on the phone. They wouldn't even look up spring specs for me. The guy said he would have to go look up the information in a book and then there was silence. It was obvious that my business wasn't worth his time. Tein does have a good amount of info about their product online though (I found out later). Also, my local dealer was very good about getting info for me though. Considering the alternatives I felt it was worth taking a chance on the customer service side to get a good performing product

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I've heard good things about the RA setup. I like the fact they use aluminum strut bodies (good unsprung savings). Are they double adjustable?

If I'm doing my math right your at ~ 455 lbs/341 lbs- that's definitely firm;) .
No way 200/185 springs can keep up w/ those high rates (and w/ the damping to match).

I'd be curious to see how much toe out you added w/ a "tick" on the rear toe adjustment- might be a bunch.

I'd love to go higher w/ my rates, but when your trying to balance autox/track needs w/ gravel/daily driving needs- it's tough.

Big Sky

·
1,911 Posts
Nice to see you're happy with it. I also loved my RA's. I used a 6/5 spring rate though. Very comfortable on the street yet with good control and lot's of oversteer especially with my Cusco rear sway bar. As for Tein's customer service I apologize for them. They are probably one of the best suppliers I have had the pleasure to work with. Perhaps they want end users to go through their dealers for all their information. We have all the info you would need on any spring rate or dimensions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
I've heard good things about the RA setup. I like the fact they use aluminum strut bodies (good unsprung savings). Are they double adjustable?

If I'm doing my math right your at ~ 455 lbs/341 lbs- that's definitely firm;) .
No way 200/185 springs can keep up w/ those high rates (and w/ the damping to match).

I'd be curious to see how much toe out you added w/ a "tick" on the rear toe adjustment- might be a bunch.

I'd love to go higher w/ my rates, but when your trying to balance autox/track needs w/ gravel/daily driving needs- it's tough.

Big Sky
As for daily driving... I would say its stiffer than most people over 30 would be willing to put up with. I was surprised that it wasn't twice as stiff as the Stage II setup. I would say its only about 20% stiffer or so. I don't think you would want to take this setup off road. I think its probably way to stiff for that. I'm not sure.

About the toe out... I'm pretty sure that one "tick" must be a lot. I'm going to have the car corner balanced then I'll have the rear end realigned with a little less to out. I'll have them measure before and after to see how much difference one tick made.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Corner weighting- the other advantage of corner weighting.

I'd be curious to see what a tick yields- post when you find out.

I have been looking at the Tein gravel spec setup- ofcourse I have sent two emails (both unreturned) to Tein USA to obtain further info on this setup:mad:

Big Sky

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, the RA setup is single adjustable from the BOTTOM of the strut. You can't adjust the rear without jacking the car up unless you have a very limber or small arm. I don't mind that much though.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
toe refers to how the tires point | | zero toe, / \ toe in, \ / toe out.

adjustable both front and rear

·
Registered
182 Posts
Any oversteer type suspensions that would handle well offroad, too? ;)
I love oversteer, on and off the road, but I can't sacrifice rideheight/stiffness TOO much.. Of the two, I could go a little stiffer then stock, ride height, if anything, i'd like to go UP! :)
Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts