ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tein Flex noises?? - swooshing in front shocks..

I just installed a set of (used) TEIN Flex.

Now i'm hearing some "swoosh" sound (most likely the shocks). This only happens when I go over humps or bump road and during retraction of the shock (when the car is rising up pulling then coming back down pushing the shock downwards)

What woudl be the cause of this. (Not enough shock extension)? In other words the springs might be too high up?? Thus I should lower the spring locattion and just raise the height of the base of the shock. (since Tein Flex are ajdustable on the lower areas also (where it mounts to the brackets).

Also I hear some rattling in the rear (i'm guessing maybe I didn't tighten up the rears shock tower enough).

But anyways, I'm more concern about the "swooshing" sound coming from the two front shocks..

Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Coilovers, in particular Tein Flex - not that they are unusual, but I happen to know about them specifically - make very very different sounds when compared to typical passenger cars. Lots of people dont know this going in, but its the case. I couldn't describe what exactly it sounds like, but unless you get some alarming clunking and somethign that sounds like a mechanical flaw I'm guessing you're just fighting the alarming sound most coilover first time users get. Hopefully another poster can describe the sound.

para

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I had coil overs in my other cars b4 and I never expereince this b4.

But then I just recently found out some of the reasons to the noise.

Its due to the design of the coilovers. The shaft itself is so smooth that it doesn't get enough lubrication for it to slide in and out of the shock absorber. Kind of like when u rub ur finger along a glass and it studders along the way when u hit a dry spot.

But i realize that coil overs by Teins are mostly like this along with JIC's. The only coil over I've experience that doesn't have this noise is the CUSCO coil overs due to a different shaft design.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts