Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, just want to show you guys what the Tein Type-HA coil-over look like. Man, I must give my hand down to Tein. Boy, is this one bad ass coil-over. Check them out!!

*Shot of the the whole coil-over (1)

*Shot of the front adjustable Camber plate

*Shot of the 16way adjustable shocks

*Shot of the hard spring in box. Did not want to open them!!

*Shot of the whole coil-over again (2)

They look really cool!!
:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
How do the Cusco Zero2 GDA compare?

I just got a set of Cusco Zero2 GDA's from Irvine Subaru, but now the guy who will be installing the setup is telling me that the Tein is better. But then again, still others have said to stay away from the Tein, and get the DMS. Boy, it was soooo simple with the BMW, there was just KONI, or Dinan modified KONI shocks :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Zero2s are the non-damper adjustable ones right? Or is that just Zero1 or something? In any case, I've heard good things about Cuscos for the WRX. DMS 40 amd 50mm are sweet from my understanding though they tend to suit offroad use more(stock spring rate is softer). DMS's M2 versions is basically a stiffer spring versions of the the corresponding coilovers. Tein HA(35mm) require some anti-rust attention due to their steel comstruction and they are 16 way adjustable. RAs are inverted tube, alu construction and are 45mm that are also 16 way(Dan-Godspeed has both Teins, DMS/M2 can be found at Teagues, M2performance and MRT...maybe ISR as well).

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Zero2's are adjustable. And though they might be heavy, they seem to be well made and thus could withstand some abuse by me :)

Also, I heard the Cusco's don't have that "clicking" problem that many of the others have.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Z3coupe,

I am expecting a review after this weekend:) . Also what alignment numbers did you end up with? Also what did you do for rear camber adjustment? Spring rates w/ your zero2's?

Lots of questions I know.

Thanks,

Uncommited future suspension upgrader (aka Big Sky).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Big Sky, look in the AutoX forum. I posted the results there. Sorry, though, don't know the spring rates. It IS stiff! But nothing that bothers me - of course I had Lotus Europas years ago, and so am used to it. I'm not the type to moan about rattles and creaks. I'm the oposite! You see, in the old Brit sports car days we had a saying - if ya can't hear it, it must've fallen off! :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those look nice! But one thing that sold me on the Cusco over all the others was the fact that you can adjust the entire shock lower into its bottom bracket, not just the spring. What this does is allow you to lower the car - but still have suspension travel.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Those look really sharp.
How much can you really improve the WRX's handling?

I know multiple spring rates and adjustable damping will help, but the WRX handles really well already, IMO.

How much do the Tein RA's weigh compared to the components they replace?

How much do they save on unsprung weight?

I know I haven't seen the limits of cornering force with my WRX because I still have stock rims and tires. Until I spend some serioud cash for the 17" SSR Competitions and some nice sticky rubber, I won't take suspension upgrades to seriously. Besides, I'm a horsepower nut first and foremost any way.

-Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
z3Coupe,

Yes, you are right about the Cusco. But I'm sorry to tell you that you don't know enough design of these Tein RA suspensions.

1) It the shocks are inverted design hollow shaft, which will give the suspension more suspension travel and most importantly a much stronger suspension shaft.

The result of the much stronger shaft is the less camber change during heavy loading in a particular corner.

Reference, please take a look at the picture that I posted before and pay attention to the large diameter shaft that I'm talking about.

2) The bottom of adjustablitly of the Cusco is not found on the Teins. It really depends on the purpose of use: Rally or Track.

If you are rallying, then yes the Cusco's suspension travel will out perform the Tein because when the car is in the air, you'll need a lot of suspension travel to prepare to land on the ground.

If you are using it for the tracks, then the Tein already provided you with the sufficent suspension travel for your car already no matter how low you go as long as it is within specs.

Anyway, I know is a bit long but there are more theorys associated with suspension.

PlatinumWRX,

Yes, the Tein's RA are definitly ligher than the stock suspension and springs set. I've measured it on the scale, and it is around 3-4 lbs weight savings per corning giving you a total of 12-16lbs weight saving.

I took the car to the track during last summer and the car really performs well with the Toyo RA-1 Competition tires. I really love how the car handle.

Please take a look at the following picture:

·
Registered
49 Posts
STI-WRX, thanks. That was interesting to know. When I was going to have the Cusco's installed, the mechanic, who just so happens also to race in our SCCA with me but in a different class (Koji - and an ex Toyota factory driver), had told me he preferred TEIN as well. But he never used Cusco before, and seemed impressed with them by the time he was done.

YIKES! Going from a BMW Z3 Coupe where the aftermarket was virtually NIL to the WRX with massive overload, it was a very hard decision as to what to choose from. But no matter what you get - Tein, DMS, Cusco, Leda, etc . . . they all seem to be of better quality than many other systems out there.

·
1,911 Posts
The RA's are THE ticket Jim. That's what I'm getting soon enough. I have used them on my ITR and they are superb quality and handling with a very light casing. They aren't cheap and you may want a pair of 5 kg/mm springs to run a 6/5 with them but overall they are the best suspension IMO, unless you want to go rally driving. Oh and the stock WRX handles pretty badly. Just wait till you get the suspension in. Remarkable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, as this post is a wee bit old, lots of things happened. I never got the Teins for the WRX. I ended up with Cusco Zero2R's and loved them! But that was then . . . . . now I have an 05 STi and Tein don't even have an ETA on the Flex or RA's for it (front end is different from other years). I got a chance to get the Cusco Zero2R's again for it, but one vendor flaked on me, then the other sold his set right out from under me, even though he had our purchase order in hand! So he promised the next set, but when the container got through customs, there were NOT ON IT!!!!!! So, he is getting me a set of Zeal V6 to try out. Sure hope they are good? Supposed to be :confused1

·
Registered
61 Posts
z3coupe how was the ride comfort on the Cusco Zero2 im thinking about getting them. But i am having a hard time chooseing Tein Flex v. Cusco zero 2. can you rate the tiens in comfort?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.