ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is an emotional day for me. Teh Fabulous Trashwagon is 10 years old today. :tear:

I went out and started it up, as it has been sitting in my backyard all winter. I had on my Subaru cap and wished it a happy birthday! It sounded great and feels tight compared to the OBXT. I listened to some of the CDs that have been in there all these years. We took a short "imaginary" drive wit hthe heater blasting away, melting snow from the windows. It was sorta like seeing an old love again after many years, but without dinner or seks, or having to look at her grandkid's photos. :)

Odometer: 34,002 miles...

Brand new:

Oft reposted glamour shot:

Today, on its 10th birthday:

For those not familiar, all the details are linked in my sig.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Awesome man!!

You should take her out for a little cruise around the block for her birthday.

·
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should take her out for a little cruise around the block for her birthday.
Nah. Not insured, and this was our front yard just yesterday. I don't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Oh wow!

Luckily that tree was there to stop them from going into your house...

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
That's awesome, Steve, and the black wagon looks perty as ever. :)

34K on the clock? For realz? :eek3:

·
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Remember, I barely drive it, and only keep storage insurance on it. Last time I drove it on the road was September 2010 to get it inspected. I'll insure it this year and put some miles on it to get it inspected again.

The OBXT is almost four years old, and only has 16,000 miles. I don't drive much.

Here's more of the photos from the center image, taken a few years ago: Train Station 6-11-05 - smorris' Photos | SmugMug

That's a telephone pole in the picture with the lilac bush growing around it. The car was traveling left to right, slid off the road at the curve just before my house, hit several of the hassock sized rocks we have along the road, and hit the pole, turning the car around. Both air bags went off, and the car is totaled. It was a 21 year old girl that was scared sh^&*ess. No injuries other than she bit her tongue. It was her boyfriend's car.

Here's more photos from the wreck.
Feb 12 2012 winter wreck - a set on Flickr

This was the third car that crashed in our yard this winter, excluding the ones that just slide off the road and don't hit anything. That's a typical winter for us, although this was the worst one in the 20 years we've lived here.

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
:)

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Happy Birthday! And remember...

ar130711925061603.jpg

·
48,699 Posts
I used to be that way...but now seem to be more of a "buy it used and drive the crap out of it" type of guy.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
24,095 Posts
Congrats on 10 years,Steve.Isn't your daughter about ready to put her back out on the road?

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Congrats on 10. :wiggles:

·
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea Joe, she's chomping at the bit! She's why I didn't sell it that time I had a buyer coming. We both were sitting in it getting it ready to go, and got a bit maudlin. :) She'll be 15 in a couple weeks. IF she drives the wagon, I'll crank that boost down to zero!

I just don't drive much. I only live 8 miles from where I worked (and I haven't been working for 18 months now), and in the summers I drove my MG for the first several years. Then I got some scooters and rode them more than I drove. Once I got the OBXT, I rarely drove the WRX.

While I was still keeping track of vehicle miles I recorded the following miles per year:

2007 - 3859
2008 - 32
2009 - 543
2010 - 118
2011 - 10

So most of the miles were put on from 2002 to 2006. During those same 2007-2011 years, I put 16,000 on the OBXT, 7200 on the Vespa, 6800 on the Suzuki, and a couple hundred on the old Vespa. The MG still needs engine work...

So, yea, I don't drive much. Thanks for all the congrats!
Steve

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
24,095 Posts
How cool is it to grow up seeing your first car just waiting for you? Props for not selling one of the first WRXs in the area.:thumbup:

·
48,699 Posts
LOL, my eldest said that it would be "okay" if I gave her my wagon when she turned 16...I'm thinking no, unless I put a map in there that dials it back to 2psi of boost.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
LOL, my eldest said that it would be "okay" if I gave her my wagon when I turned 16...I'm thinking no, unless I put a map in there that dials it back to 2psi of boost.
Just "okay?" I was stoked to have a car at all!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts