ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the uppipe weekend from hell, BTW. Like... wow. I had somehow developed a leak. I got new gaskets and I wanted to put in the plug instead of the EGT probe so I could get rid of the high EGT CEL. Friday I got it apart and went to Home Depot at 9:30. They did not have a bolt to fit. I went to Autozone.... no bolt. Damn. So... I'm done for the day, everything is closed. Saturday I got the bolt and... well... I had to wiggle quite a bit to get the uppipe back in, but I got it. Torqued everything down... was putting on the downpipe... and I saw the new uppipe gasket that had apparently fallen off during the wiggling. Not good. I was most annoyed. So then I took it all apart, put it halfway back together.... but, I was pissed and I stopped then. Today I finished it...~sigh~...

Things to note.... one gasket was cracked. I'm guessing this might have been the leak. Very fine crack.

This brings me around to a question - how do you guys properly torque the bottom of the uppipe? Some of the bolts I can do, but for...mmm... like 3 of them down there there's no way I can get a torque wrench on there.

Also, in case it matters, the CEL reset without having to disconnect the battery and whatnot. This is good because Jay had programmed my head unit and there's no way I could ever figure out all those little settings.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
IIRC you torque to 26 ft-lb. If you can't get a torque wrench in, all you do is push hard enough on the wrench so the bones in your fingers sting a little and it imprints your hand...you know, 26 ft-lbs. :)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Holy sh!t Sam, are you sure you want to give an engineer those kinds of directions? I live 50 miles away from the guy, and I think I could hear his spine crackling at the notion of not having exact instruction on how to correctly torque those bolts.

:D

Seriously though, you're fine just doing what Sam suggested. 26 ft-lbs isn't that much, so just hand-tighten it, stick a box-end on there and push with a couple of fingers until it feels tight.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ahhh... Okay, here are some tricks that were imparted on me by people much wiser than myself (most everyone)

Torque down a bolt that you can get to. Put a wrench on it, and push on the wrench to get a sense of how hard to push, then put the wrench on your problem bolt, and try to duplicate the same pressure. Not exact, but will get you in the ballpark.

Ask any monkey from 2001: A space Odyssey, and they will tell you that tools are cool.

You can properly torque every, and I mean every, bolt related to the up-pipe with a universal joint, and a "crow's foot" socket...

Man, I love up-pipes :D

Oh, and it's 35 Newton Meters. If you're going to do it, do it metric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts