ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am way overdue to change this stuff out. I leave for Steamboat on Thursday, so I need to get the tranny goo done. I can't imagine that it is hard to do. I just want to be sure and get the right stuff.

I know that Mark ordered his online, but I don't have time to do that now. What do I need to get and where can I go locally to pick some up?

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
406 Posts
It depends what goo you want.

GM Synchromesh - GM Dealership
Royal Purple - Pep Boys
B&M - Autozone
Redline - AAI Speedshop

Are you going to run Syn or Dyno.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wrx21 said:
It depends what goo you want.

GM Synchromesh - GM Dealership
Royal Purple - Pep Boys
B&M - Autozone
Redline - AAI Speedshop

Are you going to run Syn or Dyno.
VROOOOOOOOMMMMM...

Yep, that just flew over my head.

I just want to get some good stuff locally. Now I am glad that I asked. I really didn't know there were so many choices.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
WRX-games said:

I know that Mark ordered his online, but I don't have time to do that now. What do I need to get and where can I go locally to pick some up?

Thanks gang!
Yo yo yo!

I'm picking up some of the goo that Mark got today after work at 3pm. Redline MT-90.... This place has it locally so if you want I can pick some up for you and we can spill oil all over your driveway. :wiggles:

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: TECH: Tranny goo.

Mad WRX said:
Yo yo yo!

I'm picking up some of the goo that Mark got today after work at 3pm. Redline MT-90.... This place has it locally so if you want I can pick some up for you and we can spill oil all over your driveway. :wiggles:
Louis, you are my hero today. Definitely, pick some up for me. I will get even with you tonight. We can use the garage if you feel like making the drive. :)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
svc said:
I have to do this too...how many miles are you at?
The last time it was done was 15,000. I am now at 36,000. Poor little car...

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Re: Re: TECH: Tranny goo.

Mad WRX said:
Okay, the tranny takes 3.7 quarts I beleive so 4 quarts is cool?

I also want to adjust my helix rear sway bar to a stiffer setting ;)
Consider it "adjusted" :)

4 quarts is fine.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zem said:
It's not called for until 30k.
Hmm. Was that in the manual? I remember reading that us mountain driving folks get to do this every 15-20k. Perhaps this was a sales pitch.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
WRX-games said:
Hmm. Was that in the manual? I remember reading that us mountain driving folks get to do this every 15-20k. Perhaps this was a sales pitch.
Mebbe, I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice this year already.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just did it at 26k (on an '04!?)

I used 2.7qts Mobil 1 75W-90 and a qt of Penzoil Synchromesh.

I did a ton of Forum reading on wrxfanatics, here, and Nabisco, this seemed like the most popular lube cocktail. The Penzoil is the same as the aforementioned GM Synchromesh. I use the Mobil 1 on the differentials also, so I don't have bottles of a number of different stinky-a$$ gear lubes layin' around.

The change went really smoothly. If you've not done it before, there's a good write-up on scoobymods.com.

-Owen

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Its due in the 30k mile service. Subaru has a new gear oil out for the trannies with grinding, and little problems. Its also good for any other tranny, and I think its basically the same as GM Syncromesh. I think most people won't be able to tell the difference performance wise. And I don't think one or the other is better for the longevity of the tranny.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts