ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some new (used) STi stock tires (RE00486282689568725689whateverthehell) and wanted to know what tire pressures you guys use. Right now I think I'm at 32 all around.

P.S. So much queiter than Azenis!!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I've always run about halfway between the manufacturer's specs (placard on driver's side doorframe) and the max pressure printed on the sidewall for the tire.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
40 front 35 rear. For AutoX 45 front 40 rear. Next race I'm going to play around with tire pressures just a touch. Maybe 48 front and 43 rear.

that 5 pound differential really helps the car stay balanced.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Right now I run 38/38..... So does running a slightly lower pressure in the rear help rotate the rear around better? Or visa-versa?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
crazycam31 said:
Right now I run 38/38..... So does running a slightly lower pressure in the rear help rotate the rear around better? Or visa-versa?
The way I understand it (I could be wrong) is that a lower pressure in the rear than in the front reduces oversteering while an even front/rear tire pressure increases oversteering.

The front is supposed to be higher pressure because of the extra weight from the engine. This makes the car more neutral.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ok.... So since I want my car to oversteer more and understeer less, an even f/r pressure setting should be good then. Right? Can anyone else confirm?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
That will be fine Cam. Assuming a street tire, the increased pressure is slightly decreasing the contact patch, and usually shortening the breakaway time. This is all different for different tire constructions.

Most people run a few lbs less in the rear because of the weight difference and apparently, helps with the decel noise.

Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it to much. My car still oversteers like mad with the 5 pound differential. I rotates very nicely with very neutral feel, if the tires were equal pressure it would be way to much.

-Ryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts