ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got an 04 WRX, which I have as well. I drove his car today, and it felt 100% different than mine. He has a regular shift, and I have a short throw shift.

His shifting is much more smooth than mine (putting the shift knob into position), and his clutch is a lot more "pillowy..or cushioned" than mine. And a lot easier to push down. Is this the difference between the two, or is my car just wierd. Its the only other wrx I have driven, so I dont know what to compare to. But his car does feel much different. I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Xenotaku said:
His shifting is much more smooth than mine (putting the shift knob into position), and his clutch is a lot more "pillowy..or cushioned" than mine. And a lot easier to push down. Is this the difference between the two, or is my car just wierd. Its the only other wrx I have driven, so I dont know what to compare to. But his car does feel much different. I'm confused.
I drove Josh's car (Colorado Rexer) and his clutch felt way smoother than mine. I think it might have something to do with the clutch shift point. From what I've read, the shift point is not the same on all rex's off the production line, but it is adjustable. My clutch likes to "pop" out at a certain point, which makes it more difficult to control the shift.

Josh's car also felt much different than mine, but that might be the VF34, catless exhaust, and accessport distorting my perception a bit. :tongue:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: Re: tech: short throw shift compared to regular.

GetawayInBouldr said:
I drove Josh's car (Colorado Rexer) and his clutch felt way smoother than mine. I think it might have something to do with the clutch shift point. From what I've read, the shift point is not the same on all rex's off the production line, but it is adjustable. My clutch likes to "pop" out at a certain point, which makes it more difficult to control the shift.

Josh's car also felt much different than mine, but that might be the VF34, catless exhaust, and accessport distorting my perception a bit. :tongue:
I love my baby Rex :)

As for the short shifter....I have the Perrin Short Shift Adapter so I still have all the original shift linkage setup, jest an adapter to shorten the throw. I love the feel. Very easy and crisp.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
If he has a new 04, then maybe the clutch difference is just because its a new car.

i have the STi SS, and it is more notchy than the stock shifter/linkage. But its worth it. Me likey.

P.S. IBTM

·
Registered
312 Posts
Rancid said:
If he has a new 04, then maybe the clutch difference is just because its a new car.

i have the STi SS, and it is more notchy than the stock shifter/linkage. But its worth it. Me likey.

P.S. IBTM
i have the same SS in my 96 impreza LX and i love it :wiggles:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When I used to work at the dealership it always seemed that the 04 clutches engaged much later... (which was somewhat dangerous while trying to park 4 cars in an area meant for 3) But anywho, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A bit offtopic maybe, but I would perfer the stock shifter because it's longer.
A shortshifter would enable you to shift faster and meaning you will throw the car in gear faster and that would mean easier to breake your tranny..

Sicking to the stock shifter lenght feels like a safety device to me ;) I also have the shifter higher up and closer to the steeringwheel, i doubt you will earn much by changing the shifter.

Shorter shift throw & longer hand movment = short hand movment & longer shift throw:p

but It looks way better with a shortshifter :tongue:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts