ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new(er) engine

Ok, so my 93 Legacy SS 5spd needs a new powerplant. While my current engine has about 150K miles on it, I feel I need something newer to make her last longer. Was thinking about going to a version 3 sti ej20t and put that tranny in also. But where could I go to order the engine/tranny and have it installed. There is a local shop down here in the springs but I'd rather have someone who knows subies do the swap. Also looking for good prices.

Also, thx to Ryan and all the guys who went up to the hill climb for helping me fix my car on teh side of the road. Thx!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Are you looking for a long block or short block. You can find the WRX shorties easy, because of the 2.5 swap. I in fact have a short block, but not looking to sell it. Or you could just order the 2.5 STi short block, if you are looking for someone great to do the swap get a hold of Bret at Mike Shaw subaru. He has done a few of them in the last few months, so he knows what he is doing for sure. If you want a long block, you can alway check out the vendors area here and on NASIOC.com. There is almost always one full JDM setup going over there.
MCL

·
Registered
986 Posts
ask around at heuberger, if you still work there, for braden's information. he was the mechanic that was working on uncers car. he can probably get the stuff you need, and he does install work on the side also. he is a great mechanic.

cnstman

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: Need a new(er) engine

XspudX said:
Ok, so my 93 Legacy SS 5spd needs a new powerplant. While my current engine has about 150K miles on it, I feel I need something newer to make her last longer. Was thinking about going to a version 3 sti ej20t and put that tranny in also. But where could I go to order the engine/tranny and have it installed. There is a local shop down here in the springs but I'd rather have someone who knows subies do the swap. Also looking for good prices.

Also, thx to Ryan and all the guys who went up to the hill climb for helping me fix my car on teh side of the road. Thx!
ebay.com ;)

-Well See Ya Later-
:wiggles:

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you go that route, you will need to get stand alone engine management of rewire for the EJ20 conversion. The v3 is not going to plug right into your USDM harness, nor will you ECU run it very well. Chaste Automotive in CA can get you the complete v3 swap if that is what you want.

IMHO, 150k mi is not very much on those blocks. There is a guy in NH who have 200k mi on his when he wrecked it. And he had been running 15psi on it for close to 50k mi at that point. Drive it until it actually blows is my 2 cents

As for the 4 psi? Do you have an MBC on there? The Legacy Turbos are notorious for not liking MBC's and doing wonky things with boost. It has to do with exactly how and where you plumb it in. Do a search over on Legacy Central and you should be able to find the details of how to plumb it properly to avoid the low boost behaviour.

As an OT side note, I will finally be doing some wiring on my EJ20G conversion this weekend. Send me a PM if you still have any interest in coming by to check out the project. Actually, better yet, just call my cell (303) 589-9398. Since I no longer have internet at home, I don't know when I will be online again...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cnstman said:
ask around at heuberger, if you still work there, for braden's information. he was the mechanic that was working on uncers car. he can probably get the stuff you need, and he does install work on the side also. he is a great mechanic.

cnstman
Yeah, Braden really knows his stuff.

As for the long block or the short block, I really have no idea. Im not even sure that I need a new engine or tranny. If I do get something new, Ima wanna get a complete engine and tranny.

Matt, yes I have a MBC but its not that problem. I took my car into a local shop down here(JouleUSA) to have an ic pipe rewelded and they broke part of the intake off where the diverter valve goes. So that is the result of the only 4psi.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am a big fan of the 2.2 so i would say rebuild it, Figure out how to get more fuel to the engine, get some kind of engine management, mess with different turbos and fugure out one that will work, and a FMIC. But that is what i would do because i still think it would be cheaper than a conversion and make more power. But if you decide to ditch the 2.2, can i have dibs to look at taking it off your hands? Any new things done to the Legacy since i last saw it. I need to get a 900 intercooler like you in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The 2.2 turbo engine is probably the best block subaru has ever made.... slap a set of EJ20 heads on the thing with the ECU and run hideous boost levels all day long.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
legacymax said:
I am a big fan of the 2.2 so i would say rebuild it, Figure out how to get more fuel to the engine, get some kind of engine management, mess with different turbos and fugure out one that will work, and a FMIC. But that is what i would do because i still think it would be cheaper than a conversion and make more power. But if you decide to ditch the 2.2, can i have dibs to look at taking it off your hands? Any new things done to the Legacy since i last saw it. I need to get a 900 intercooler like you in the next couple of weeks.
You can just have my IC for your stock piping. Im reverting her back to stock until I get some more money to do some proper mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts