ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I believe a lightened flywheel makes driving more difficult. Makes going from a stop light more difficult. But I think that is only with really light ones.

I don't think you should have any problems with one assuming it isnt too light.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
too light and it makes it more difficult to drive, make it easier to stall, since there is less rotational interia to keep it going, when you're engaging the clutch, especially when starting from a stop.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
Rancid said:
Its an Exedy unit, so its not too light.
I like the Exedy better than the stock flywheel. I drive much smoother with an Exedy flywheel than the stock.

As mentioned earlier...you'll run the risk of a clutch shudder, at idle, tranny in neutral, and clutch engaged.

Basically, mass of the flywheel absorbs some of the vibrations. Less mass = less vibration absorption. Mass alone is a damper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
faster/easier downshifts and less rotaional mass are the +'s

if you suck at driving stick then yeah, you will stall it more and you need better throttle controll when getting it off the line. but all this will become second nature in about 2 hours. unless.... like i said above..... you suck at driving stick.

but i doubt thats the case :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
if its still under its bumper to bumper they better change that ****

and you might be able to swing it if its just under its powertrain. i duno if the part that puts the power to teh ground is considered powertrain

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
so....if it REDUCES your acceleration from a stop, what good is it? faster shifts? I'm about to install a new clutch and was thinking about getting a 16 lb flywheel while I got the thing apart...my driving is mostly commuting with some rally thrown in on odd weekends....

oh, and if anyone's got some clutch recomendations, I'm looking for something that will hold up to a Cobb stage 3 (about 350 HP), but have easy engagement and be as light as possible. like I said, I don't drag race, but I do enjoy a brisk acceleration.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It reduces rotational inertia...that means that the flywheel accelerates faster as it spins around the input shaft, but it also decelerates faster...it's a double edged sword. This makes revmatches and up/downshifts easier (plus) but makes launches a little more tricky (by about a factor of 1/10000). In all honesty, a lightened flywheel is a GREAT mod, especially the 16lb one, since the stock flywheel is a freaking hulk. With respect to the 350hp clutch recommendation, I'm gonna tell you what I tell most people...I stand by the exedy organic clutch 100%, it's a little stiffer than stock and holds power marvelously. If you want a guaranteed 100% power holder, the exedy twinplate would work great and hold up to about 550wtq, feel same as stock almost, but is a LOT more money. The reason I stand by exedy so firmly is that they are the OEM manufacturers of subaru drivetrain products.

Good luck,

~Tim

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I second the recommendation for the exxedy gear. As tim pointed out, the manufacture the OEM STI clutch. They have great driveability (actually made my clutch pedal lighter) and hold power nicely. What I like even more about them is that they don't hold too much, which sounds strange, but your tranny will appreciate that this clutch will still slip if you try to shock it with too much power at once.

The exxedy flywheel is a great addition and really doesn't affect driveability much. It changes how you're gonna engage the clutch, but you'll make the adjustment quickly and love it.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
SERacing said:
I've also heard about how its harder to launch the car with a lightened flywheel...any drag experts care to comment?

Not harder persay, but it doesn't allow for the 3500-4000 rpm high speed slip, it's either a nice easy roll off for regular traffic or the 3k rev to 6k WOT sidestep that people use to build boost on their launch. Honestly though, the differences are so subtle I'd be surprise if anyone except the most finicky driver noticed a HUGE difference.

~Tim

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
blarg said:
so what about just getting an STi clutch installed?
the usdm 6mt is different in a LOT of ways from the 5mt wrx clutch, and won't fit. You could probably look around for a v6 STi 5mt clutch from japan, but that would be more money than a brand new twinplate exedy setup that could hold infinite power. Just get the exedy organic....it's the same thing as STi 5mt, minus the label.

~Tim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts