ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COBB AccessECU specifics Stage 1

I called Cobb and the guy couldn't even tell me how much the max boost was set at or programmed for whatever. So what is the boost on the Stage 1 set at for high altitude locations such as Denver, Salt Lake, etc. If it is only 13 of 14 like they say why can't you get it mapped for 16-17psi which is what most everyone tunes them for up here. And he said I can't use my Greddy EBC with it. What's up with that. Anyway, I just wonder if it is worth taking out the EBC and getting the Stage 1 ECU on my stock WRX.

PS. I also have AEM ram air intake. Do I have to take that off too?

Peace.

:)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It will probably be a little less than 1 bar (14.7 psi) up here at altitude. 16-17 psi in a stock WRX is asking for trouble. The reason a reflash is better than a EBC is because timing and fuel and other things are changed on a relfash that aren't compensated for with an EBC. This means you can run the boost increase safely. And take off that intake. Intake + boost increase with EBC = BOOM.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You need to remove your SRI. None of the Cobb parts suport it. Besides, I was informed that the stock airbox can support up to 400 horsepower, so there's no need to change it.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Yep. You also shouldn't run an EBC or MBC with the accessport because the AP controls boost through the factory solenoid. Cobb is "conservative" in their mapping, which is why a lot of people like it, also why you won't see an AP boost to 16-17 psi.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FS. Greddy EBC and AEM intake, hehe

Really though. I understand this is a "tuned" ecu so it's much better. I have been running max boost to 16.5psi with no BOOM. That I know of anyway. But you are right. I am probably getting a lot of knock that I don't really hear.

If the AccessECU stage 1 comes "tuned" back to me here in Denver with 14.7psi that would be pretty darn good. :wiggles:

So then what is a real good accurate boost guage?

Are there any piggy back systems or other mapped ECU that I can get and go have tuned myself for under $500.00?

I was thinking of getting an electric cut out for the exhuast too. Any thoughts as to how the "new" ECU would react to that?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rancid said:
It will probably be a little less than 1 bar (14.7 psi) up here at altitude. 16-17 psi in a stock WRX is asking for trouble. The reason a reflash is better than a EBC is because timing and fuel and other things are changed on a relfash that aren't compensated for with an EBC. This means you can run the boost increase safely. And take off that intake. Intake + boost increase with EBC = BOOM.
Well, I know what I am doing this weekend. I love putting mod's on. I hate taking them off. But that's better than getting my motor reworked, right. Anyway, that's what led me to really start looking at the Cobb ECU option because I know a properly tuned vehicle makes the car happy and makes me happy. I just don't have the funds for a UTEC and turbo back exhaust and everything else right now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crap, I just figured this stuff out

Chris G said:
Cobb dyno-tested their Stage II setup and came up with around 285 HP...

I think most of the information is at their website...

www.cobbtuning.com
I thought you needed to pay $395 for a reflash then if you want to reflash it with a different map you had to send it back or pay $595 for the AccessPort. Now I see you can just buy the AccessPort for $595 and reflash it yourself whenever you want. Way cool. But he!l, I can't wait 6-8 weeks. What to do, hmmmm. :confused:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have been running max boost to 16.5psi with no BOOM.
Are you running the stock turbo? If so, you're not making much power past the 15psi mark, as the stock turbo is out of it's effeciency range at this altitude & that level of boost. Dig up a TD04L compressor map and you'll see what I mean.

A larger turbo will be more effecient, but then you will be stressing the stock injectors. I ran a VF22 & an upgraded intercooler at 14.5 psi. A walbo 255lph pump was the only fuel system mod. At the higher rpms under full boost, my IDCs were ~90%.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think you would be ok running the boost controller with the reflash. I am running a Blitz on my ECUTEK reflash with no problems. I was dyno tuned. Shiv even invited me to sit in my back seat and watch as he adjusted the parameters of my stock ECU. I had reattached the factory boost controller and asked him If he would like to use it instead of my Blitz. He asked if I liked the function of the Blitz, I said yes, he said it would be fine to keep it.

The Cobb reflash should be able to deal with extra boost as well. The reasoning is that the factory ecu control shoots for a targetted boost level by adjusting wastegate duty cycle to try and get the boost curve to mimic a planned boost curve. This is rarely if ever realized. The ECU does not meter fuel and timing to the planned curve, it meters those parameters according to actual airflow and load tables. The Cobb load tables are surely as comprehensive as the factory tables inside. Thus allowing the higher boost. The fueling trim is also aided by the front o2 sensor. The logic behind the control is that the turbo behaves very differently all the time depending on atmospheric variances, gear changes, throttle angles, etc. The system needs a dynamic control that can deal with such erratic behaviour.

I installed fuel injection on my 70 cuda and it had an ECU that would only pick up TPS and RPMs and did all it's calculations based on those two variables. Very hard wired and non adaptive control. Our ECU uses a MAF, MAP, TPS, RPM, WBo2, rear02, EGT, Crank sensor, etc..for input and has the ability to adjust boost, fuel timing and volume, and ignition timing.

I will probably use my factory solenoid one day when I can play restrictor games with the tee. But for now I am very happy and run boost levels from 12 psi to 18 psi. Of course I have a bigger turbo, injectors, ic, engine, exhaust.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dizzy said:
Are you running the stock turbo? If so, you're not making much power past the 15psi mark, as the stock turbo is out of it's effeciency range at this altitude & that level of boost. Dig up a TD04L compressor map and you'll see what I mean.

A larger turbo will be more effecient, but then you will be stressing the stock injectors. I ran a VF22 & an upgraded intercooler at 14.5 psi. A walbo 255lph pump was the only fuel system mod. At the higher rpms under full boost, my IDCs were ~90%.
Well, I just have heard of many people tuning their cars at 17psi on the stock turbo and getting almost 250whp that's all. But my car is not tuned so that's not good I'm sure.

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely going to get Cobb tuned. I'll sell the EBC and RAI for the money. If it's tuned at 1 bar then 1-2psi more won't be much different anyway. Once I get it then I can play at the dyno some day with exhaust or electric cut out, header, downpipe, etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WRX Harvey said:
I think you would be ok running the boost controller with the reflash. I am running a Blitz on my ECUTEK reflash with no problems. I was dyno tuned. Shiv even invited me to sit in my back seat and watch as he adjusted the parameters of my stock ECU. I had reattached the factory boost controller and asked him If he would like to use it instead of my Blitz. He asked if I liked the function of the Blitz, I said yes, he said it would be fine to keep it.

The Cobb reflash should be able to deal with extra boost as well. The reasoning is that the factory ecu control shoots for a targetted boost level by adjusting wastegate duty cycle to try and get the boost curve to mimic a planned boost curve. This is rarely if ever realized. The ECU does not meter fuel and timing to the planned curve, it meters those parameters according to actual airflow and load tables. The Cobb load tables are surely as comprehensive as the factory tables inside. Thus allowing the higher boost. The fueling trim is also aided by the front o2 sensor. The logic behind the control is that the turbo behaves very differently all the time depending on atmospheric variances, gear changes, throttle angles, etc. The system needs a dynamic control that can deal with such erratic behaviour.

I installed fuel injection on my 70 cuda and it had an ECU that would only pick up TPS and RPMs and did all it's calculations based on those two variables. Very hard wired and non adaptive control. Our ECU uses a MAF, MAP, TPS, RPM, WBo2, rear02, EGT, Crank sensor, etc..for input and has the ability to adjust boost, fuel timing and volume, and ignition timing.

I will probably use my factory solenoid one day when I can play restrictor games with the tee. But for now I am very happy and run boost levels from 12 psi to 18 psi. Of course I have a bigger turbo, injectors, ic, engine, exhaust.
If this is the case then do you think keeping the EBC to get another 1 or 2 psi of boost on the stock turbo would be worth it?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: Crap, I just figured this stuff out

Blaze said:
I thought you needed to pay $395 for a reflash then if you want to reflash it with a different map you had to send it back or pay $595 for the AccessPort. Now I see you can just buy the AccessPort for $595 and reflash it yourself whenever you want. Way cool. But he!l, I can't wait 6-8 weeks. What to do, hmmmm. :confused:
I have an idea...find one used here on ClubWRX or Nabisco...

I see them for sale all the time :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Crap, I just figured this stuff out

Chris G said:

I've looked. There is one now but guy wants $600.00 thinking someone will buy it so they don't have to wait for Cobb to ship it out. I am going to send my ECU and $595 to Cobb, get it flashed and sent back then have the AP sent when it is ready unless I find someone willing to part with one cheaper.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris G said:

I PM'd you.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Blaze said:
If this is the case then do you think keeping the EBC to get another 1 or 2 psi of boost on the stock turbo would be worth it?
If you ever plan on getting a larger turbo, it may be a good idea to keep your EBC. However, since you are going to try and tune for the stock turbo, the factory system will work as well as any EBC. Especially since the Cobb Accestuner will allow you to adjust your boost in the future. I really like the behavior of my Blitz but have heard the factory system is almost as good when fiddled with(restrictor pills).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Blaze said:
I PM'd you.
PM'd you back...

Yes, some people (like yourself) would rather pay Cobb the $600 in full for a new unit, but some impatient fools (like me) would rather have a good looking used unit (local none-the-less) for $500...

Either way, you're going to enjoy the ECU reflash and the AP...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts