ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Vegan's Type-H on my car right now and it just isn't venting properly. It worked fine at 500ft ASL, but up here, instead of the PSSSSSSSH sound, I get a fluttering PUT-PUT-PUT sort of noise.

I've already talked to Nathan at TXS. He recommended removing some of the washers from the BOV. So, last night I opened it up and found exactly zero washers installed. It's tough to remove something that isn't there. Should I be adding washers instead? Anyone else with TXS valve experience? I miss the PSSSSSSSSSH.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Errrrr....What does it explain? And call me back ****!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KoolWgnRex said:
why do ppl get an aftermarket bov? it doesn't do any good on a wrx.
Wow, you're helpful. Do you want me to explain it to you?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ummm (raises hand), Cause the stocker leaks when you push higher than stock boost for a long time? Maybe it is because the stock one relies on a rubberized seal that can also leak when old/used hard. Maybe it is the really cool sound they make. Piston type BOVs do not rely upon a rubber seal and thus can handle more abuse and pressure.(sits back down with a smirk)

I think that perhaps since the air is so thin up here what you are experiencing has something to do with that. I beleive it only becomes a problem if it behaves that way at partial throttle. I can force the issue by going up a steep hill at high rpms. By adjusting my throttle angle I can get the BOV to chatter even as I am accelerating. It is really rare and I have to force it to do so, but I have heard of BOVs that do so while cruising and need more spring tension.

If that is your problem, only then is it an issue. Possible causes of the normal behavior you are seeing could be that the compressor spool down is quicker due to the thin air and thus is not moving as much air after you let off, which in turn has lower flow after the throttle release, and thus cycles the piston rather than keeping it open for a nice long exit. I can make mine do the chatter(which I like) if I let off from WOT at around 3K. If I really want a loud Psshhh I just take it up past 4K and release my throttle quickly. A myriad of sounds!

edit- I am using a GFB BOV with a VF22 on the 2.5 Shortie. That is what makes mine so noizey!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I had a greddy Type S on my DSM...

The problem was, I got that flutter nice every time instead of the normal blowing off...anyways.

On the Greddy, if you opened it up, it had two springs inside, and I just took a spring out, put it back together, and it worked great! It had something to do with, the car not making enough pressure to open the valve...

eh, that prolly doesnt help..but there you go.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
KoolWgnRex said:
why do ppl get an aftermarket bov? it doesn't do any good on a wrx.
You ever actually seen how the stock BOV works? It's terrible. Most people just spit off regurgitated BS about how our BOV is so good and can take so much boost and this that and the other thing. I have actually taken off the recirculating pipe to make it atmospheric and see if it was as good as everyone says....NO it's not.

1) Leaks at idle...terribly
2) EXTREMELY slow to close.
3) After it vents it will take approx 5 secs to seal
4) Begins to leak boost about 14 psi

And yes I still have the stock BPV. If it wasn't for the simple fact that it is recirculating, our cars would be dying. My car barely ran when it was atmopsheric. Wouldn't keep idle cuz it wasn't getting enough air. After-firing was TERRIBLE. And hesitation between shifts was unbearable.

Moral of the story: If you've modded your car beyond factory and still have the Stock BPV...getting a GOOD recirculating BOV such as the greddy...might actually give better performance. Wouldn't know because I don't have a different BOV from stock but I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about and can chime in.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
most people will just go buy this part for the silly sound it makes...the PPPSHHHHHHHHH woopie, i have a car that makes a very unique sound balh blah blah blah...

if you were to go buy an aftermarket bov, I would get a fully recirc valve, that circulates ALL of the air back into the intake...what that does, it ..it wont make that cool PPSHHHHH sound, but it will possibly..do a little better then the stock valve...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts