ClubWRX Forum banner

Which turbo should i get

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer i plan on dropping a new turbo into my car, and i am having a tough decision determining which one i want to put in. I have it narrowed down between the TD05 18G, which has moderate power but a relativly low spool time, the TD06 18g, which has a bit more power but less spool time, or the TD06 20g, which makes great power, with a low spool time. The thing is, i cant decide weather i want to keep my stock tranny. if i were to get the 18g, i would keep my stock tranny, but if i moved up to the 20g, id get new ppg gear set. i have a 07 wrx wagon that i am trying to make a sleeper. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,231 Posts
Always opt for the smallest turbo that meets your needs.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
6-speed swap?

I have been thinking about upgrading to a PE1818, but with my stock engine I don't know if I should. 80,000 miles on it, and it's my daily driver.

Assuming you go with the PPG gears, I would just put the big guy on there.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
id go with the sti swap, but i really dont feel like gathering all the parts together, plus i have heard that ppg is a bit stronger

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
id go with the sti swap, but i really dont feel like gathering all the parts together, plus i have heard that ppg is a bit stronger
While it's possible that the PPG's are stronger, the oiling system is superior in the STI trans. The STI swap adds more value to the car with the addition of DCCD and closer ratios thanks to the extra gear. I went with the STI swap for this reason. If by some freak accident I should damage the gears in my 6-speed, then I would swap PPG gears into the 6-speed.

The costs of doing a PPG swap will involve extra labor to have the trans built, with the 6-speed swap, you just make sure you have the required components for the swap and take out the old and put in the new. If you're rebuilding the trans yourself, then this is not an issue, but my tool is my Visa so for me the STI swap was a no brainer.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Just as a side note, the 06/07 WRX transmissions are a lot better than the 02/03/04 models. Not sure about the 05's, can't remember if they got the upgrade. Nothing says you WILL break your trans, especially if you spend time learning how to drive it smoothly.

~Tim

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is this car your daily driver? If so stick with the quicker spooling turbo. A larger turbo will be fun at the track but might be a pig in day to day traffic.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Just as a side note, the 06/07 WRX transmissions are a lot better than the 02/03/04 models. Not sure about the 05's, can't remember if they got the upgrade. Nothing says you WILL break your trans, especially if you spend time learning how to drive it smoothly.

~Tim
02 through 1/2 of 03 there were issues w/ gears that were corrected (if you call it that.

03.5-05 were the same tranny

06 and 07 were slightly different if I remember right, and the 07's are actually the safest because of the drive ratio, but still not up to holding a 18 or 20g.

Personally I'm going with a 6spd swap, and a 20g. The 2.5l can handle the 20g well is what I've been hearing on this damn forum for the past 2 years. It's just a matter of time back home to work on the damned thing. :D

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, i think im going to go for the 20g, now the issue is iwg of ewg. lol, what do you think? i wana go for like 20 21 psi

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Internal. The energy and money spent setting up an external wastegate system is not worth it on a 20g unless you're trying to smash some power record with that turbo. For normal, everyday, fast daily driver use I would 100% recommend internal gate. Easier to service, quieter, and less expensive. This is not to say that an external setup won't yield good power or that it's exceptionally hard to do, but on a 20g it just seems like overkill.

~Tim

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
u think i can push 20 21 psi on internal
Yes...a VF39/VF43 can handle 20+ PSI, so a 18G/20G will handle it no problem.

It seems like you are willing to do what it takes to have the fastest sleeper wagon within reason since you are considering PPGs or an STI 6spd swap. So if this is even a consideration, you may as well go for the biggest and best you can get...So I vote 20G.

You will get great power from it and it is known to spool up between 3500-3700rpms on a 2.5L, so the lag isn't all that much over an 18G at all. Negligible IMO...

PPGs will be a little stronger than an STI 6, but will be a harsher feeling on the street since they are that much stronger. A straight swap for the STI Tranny would probably be a little cheaper and probably better for your daily driving use. 6 gears are great when you have a bunch more power than stock...and its a borderline bulletproof tranny by itself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts