·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 2002 wrx with the follwing mods:
3" TBE W/catless DP
turbosmrt mbc set @ 15 psi (stock td04)
gfb 50/50 bov
stock intake with silencer removal and drop in k&n (not oiled)
Oil ctch can
so bassicly i want to change my turbo not really for the performance bit (although that would be nice) but because i think my turbo is just getting old and tired,
the turbo i was looking at is the td05 16g i know i should relly be getting bigger injectors feul pump and a tune but thats pricey were im from, the stock wastegate actuator boost is set at 0.8 bar (11.6 psi) wich is i think low becaause i ran my tdo4 at that once and the car was gutless, so if i get it ill probly put it up too about 15 my qeustion is can i just do a straight bolt on? like these guys did:

WRX turbo swap pt3 mountain run - YouTube

the turbo im looking at:

Subaru Impreza WRX STi TD05 16g Turbocharger Turbo | eBay

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I would suggest just looking for a stock turbo if you really think you need a new one. Especially if you are not going to tune it....and don't get a no name eBay turbo.

As far as the turbo being tired....what makes you think that?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
No. You will need injectors, a pump, and a map.

Also, turbos do not tire. They either function or fail. If your turbo works there is no point in doing what you propose.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know guys ummm my turbo is still strong but oil is burning little bit compression is good so im thinking the turbo

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
oil is burning little bit
I don't understand what this means though.

However, no matter what it means, a turbo from eBay is not how I'd address it.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
That Chinese made ebay turbo is not going to last very long at all, I would expect it to burn lots of oil right out of the box. If you're set on upgrading your turbo get a brand name part, like Blouch, or FP.

·
Æternum
20,585 Posts
That Chinese made ebay turbo is not going to last very long at all, I would expect it to burn lots of oil right out of the box. If you're set on upgrading your turbo get a brand name part, like Blouch, or FP.
This.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Also the wastegate actuator is not the boost the turbo can make, it is just the spring pressure. It is what the turbo would make without any boost control system.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Do we have any indication that the turbo has a problem?
Actually no lol

I was just saying if he had to do anything, that might be another option. Personally, I think there is something else going on or maybe even possibly nothing going on if he just thinks his turbo is just "tired".

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I don't see an intercooler listed for the 16g, need that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
go with 16gxt, right around $1000, dont waste money on cheap turbo or supporting mods, always pay the extra cash for the best possible part, WRX's are very picky, go with a 16g, 660cc's and walboro 255 pump, plus turbo back exhaust and tune of course, 300whp easy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts