ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so Im still on the road for looking for a new turbo and I ran across a TD04HL, I have a 02 that has the stock TD04 turbo now does the HL model make any difference? I have read up that it can support up to 21PSI and handles up to 300hp.. w/o fuel upgrades. I tried searching the forums but didnt really find anything.

I was just thinking about getting this turbo and then getting a protune because I already have a FMIC and other supporting mods.

Any help would be awesome

thanks!

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
ok, so Im still on the road for looking for a new turbo and I ran across a TD04HL, I have a 02 that has the stock TD04 turbo now does the HL model make any difference? I have read up that it can support up to 21PSI and handles up to 300hp.. w/o fuel upgrades. I tried searching the forums but didnt really find anything.

I was just thinking about getting this turbo and then getting a protune because I already have a FMIC and other supporting mods.

Any help would be awesome

thanks!

Too small.

If I were you I'd look at:

IHI:
Vf34
Vf39
Vf22

MHI:
td05h-16g
td05h 18g 7cm
td06h-20g 7cm

Garret rotate mount:

Gt30

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. well I did find that Gruppe-S has the MHI 18g-td05h turbo for $675, but if I went that route I will have to replace my injectors and fuel pump right? Thats really not a big issue with me but the main concern is my tranny. I Really dont want to blow it out and have to spend another $2500-3000

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Ok.. well I did find that Gruppe-S has the MHI 18g-td05h turbo for $675, but if I went that route I will have to replace my injectors and fuel pump right? Thats really not a big issue with me but the main concern is my tranny. I Really dont want to blow it out and have to spend another $2500-3000
Yes you need injectors.

On the 2.0l your tranny will be fine until you get in the 350whtq arena, dont drive like a maniac.

With the 18g on pump gas with FMIC, Injectors and Fuel Pump AVG results are around around 270whp 280whtq.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Yes you need injectors.

On the 2.0l your tranny will be fine until you get in the 350whtq arena, dont drive like a maniac.

With the 18g on pump gas with FMIC, Injectors and Fuel Pump AVG results are around around 270whp 280whtq.
I disagree with the trans being ok at 350wtq, I highly doubt I'm making that much and mine broke on the 1-2 shift.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
I disagree with the trans being ok at 350wtq, I highly doubt I'm making that much and mine broke on the 1-2 shift.
There obviously isnt a set in stone number where the tranny is going to just implode and kill everyone.

MOST will state that 300 is the number to steer away from or start watching how you shift/drive with the ej205 motors. The ej25's are a different story as the extra torque does a real hurting on the drivetrain.

With all that being said I'd honestly look into a 16g if I was looking to upgrade turbos on the ej205. A tad bit more lag but you'll actually hold decent power till redline. Injectors and fuel pump along with a tune and TBE is needed.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,231 Posts
I'd go no larger than the absolute smallest turbo that met my needs. In this case it'd be something like a regular 16G or a VF34 or VF39, plus injectors (and fuel pump only depending on tune used). These turbos will probably give the impression that they originally came with a well-designed car, they'll feel great but "ideal stock" too, and they'll give the driveline a fighting chance if the driver is sensible (no guarantees though, power to the wheels can increase by 50+ HP).

·
Banned
0 Posts
I love the TD04:wiggles: It is perfect no lag at all. Gives me a big ass power band. And I don't have to worry about the tranny suicide thing. I would look into that turbo more. Or look at how you can get the most out of your current turbo. I push 18lbs out of the sucker. It makes me:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts