Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, Saturday morning I was leaving my house for class. I was in neutral drifting down a slight downhill while slightly applying the brakes preparing to stop at the stop sign at the end of my street. Once I was stopped, I let off the brake and began to pull out, after I released the brakes all three of the lights stated in the title came on and stayed on. I was a little worried, but the car drove perfectly fine and there were no weird feelings in the brakes or anything.

I get to class and call the Subaru dealership, as my STi is still under warranty, and tell them what happened and made an appointment for next Tuesday. I shut the car off and went to class and about my business. Came back out to my car on my lunch break and fired her up and the lights were off, and haven't came back since. Now I am wondering if I should even take it in to the dealership as the lights have not came back on.

This happened about 8 years ago to my impreza and turned out being my brake sensor switch. All of the things I have read points in that direction as well. But was this just a freak occurrence, or is my switch or worse going bad???

BTW, the car is a 2012 STi with 34,XXX miles and no performance modifications. She is in her stock glory for now aside from aesthetic mods.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I have had this happen to my Regals. Couple times it was the sensors in the wheel hubs gone bad. Another time it was water getting in the connector right down at the backside of the wheel. Dried out connector and vaselined it up and no more lights.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Dealer can read historical codes. If you want the piece of mind keep your schedule. They will still charge you for the diagnostic thought if nothing turns out being wrong.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Dealer can read historical codes. If you want the piece of mind keep your schedule. They will still charge you for the diagnostic thought if nothing turns out being wrong.
They shouldn't if it's under warranty and can read the hard code as referenced by the 3 lights being on.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
They shouldn't if it's under warranty and can read the hard code as referenced by the 3 lights being on.
Doesn't matter if it's under warranty or not, they charge you a $100 diagnostic fee to inspect the vehicle for any reason. If nothing is wrong then you eat the cost. If something is wrong then it is waived and the repairs are covered under warranty.

Maybe this isn't standard practice at all dealerships but I know this is how it works at mine.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's under warranty or not, they charge you a $100 diagnostic fee to inspect the vehicle for any reason. If nothing is wrong then you eat the cost. If something is wrong then it is waived and the repairs are covered under warranty.

Maybe this isn't standard practice at all dealerships but I know this is how it works at mine.
Is there a difference in state to state in regards to this because this is most definitely not the case here.
There have been more than a few times on past cars i've gone to the dealership and nothing has turned up or they were not able to find an issue. Never paid a penny out of pocket. The invoice/summary they gave always had a $0 diagnostic fee.

The ONLY time i paid was when the part wasn't covered under warranty because of modifications which i was fine with and knew about going in.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Is there a difference in state to state in regards to this because this is most definitely not the case here.
There have been more than a few times on past cars i've gone to the dealership and nothing has turned up or they were not able to find an issue. Never paid a penny out of pocket. The invoice/summary they gave always had a $0 diagnostic fee.

The ONLY time i paid was when the part wasn't covered under warranty because of modifications which i was fine with and knew about going in.
Quite likely could be just my dealership. They are Jews.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies fella's. Im going to go to my appointment anyway. Get my oil changed while im there. Got a coupon for 25 bucks off a full synthetic oil change. It will be cheaper than doing it myself. So i'll have them pull the codes while they are at it.

However, if they try to charge me I will tell them to pound sand and forget it.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, almost a week has passed and these lights never came back on. I know my brakes need to be replaced, I am getting some shuttering at higher speed braking and some squealing at low speed. So maybe something with that tripped a code or something? I don't know.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
BTW, almost a week has passed and these lights never came back on. I know my brakes need to be replaced, I am getting some shuttering at higher speed braking and some squealing at low speed. So maybe something with that tripped a code or something? I don't know.
Nothing regarding that would trigger the check engine to the best of my knowledge. Don't worry about it if it's gone away and hasn't come back.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Came back a few more times. Only after applying the brakes. Turns out it was the indeed the brake light switch. Replaced it, and not an issue sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts