Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TB Racing Experience

I just received my pulley from TB Racing. It arrived about a day later than I expected it to, but I think FedEx had a lot to with that and stomping on my package. I'll be shipping with UPS from now on. I'm never had a package arrive half imploded from UPS!

The TB Racing pulley looks to be absolutely top notch quality. My question: why no holes? My dad wants to machine a few radial holes in it to lighten it up a little more.

Brad was great to deal with and offers this pulley at a great price.

Brad, how much does your pulley weigh compared to stock?

My dad thinks 8HP is crazy, but I think he'll be surprised when I do the math.

-Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
The pulleys weigh around 4.5 pounds less than the
stock pulley... for every pound removed from the crank
2.7 hp is gained. In this case that means
approximately 12-13 hp gained at the crank, or around
8 hp at the wheels figuring 30% drivetrain losses
(I've already had one customer verify the 8 hp gain).
Throttle response should also be noticeably better.
The engine isn't producing more power, it just has
less work to do to turn itself... therefore more power
getting to the wheels.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe the stock pulley weighs alittle under 6 pounds.
throw them on scales when you do the swap, you'll see the difference, probably just by holding them.

My pulley weighs about 1.2 pounds.

I dont have an answer for you on the holes right now,
I didnt engineer them personally, however I'll be talking to my "engineer" later today and ask him why. I'm sure there is a good reason.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TB RACING said:
I believe the stock pulley weighs alittle under 6 pounds.
throw them on scales when you do the swap, you'll see the difference, probably just by holding them.

My pulley weighs about 1.2 pounds.

I dont have an answer for you on the holes right now,
I didnt engineer them personally, however I'll be talking to my "engineer" later today and ask him why. I'm sure there is a good reason.
Probably cost/benefit. It would add cost to the pulley to drill holes in it. I'll be adding a couple of holes to mine in a uniform radial distribution to keep it balanced.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TB RACING said:
AH yes, that may be why, the balance.

You may not want to go drilling that just yet.

Let me run it by my guy first to see if he thinks it will throw things off.
Hey Brad,

I'm a mechanical engineer and my father (who will do the drilling) is a professional machinist. I'll be alright, but thanks.

-Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
well then drill away :)

actually I talked to him about it and he said he thought of that already, however he didnt want to do it in case soemone decided to get a lightened flywheel, it would make for very difficult daily driving.

I think you'll see some serious throttle response difference and spool up time with this!!!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TB RACING said:
actually, If I can get a person to throw this on a dyno I'd definately go out of my way to take care of them :)
What do you want, before and after? I might be able to arrange that.

Hey Brad, I should just start representing you in PA. Hell, we aren't far apart and I'm opening a shop soon. I could do installs for you!

-Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
Can i use the stock belts and all?? All i would need to change is the pully right?? What about lightening it up since i have an AUTOMATIC?? does it really make any differance?? AKA: Having jims dad drill some holes for me??? I should have no worries with an auto right?

Rob

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aloha, All...

I just wanted to second, third, fourth, etc. the positive feedback for Brad @ TBracing! What a great guy, great product (pulley) and great service!

FedEx was a little whacky, but Brad was awesome with communication and made me feel important.

I'm just bummed that he hasn't released any more products! My credit card is waiting.

Kudos!

Richard...

P.S. Yes, you use the stock belts and the install isn't hard at all. My car's crank bolt didn't seem that tight either. Just leaned on it a bit with a breaker bar and it fell off. And I'm no brute, either. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
YEP stock belt, and automatic will work fine and still add power. See the great thing about this product is its like probably the healthiest way to gain power, because its already existant power the car has, You're just able to apply more of it now that the crank has less work to do.

And we do have other products :)

right now we also have a short throw shifter, and might I say, its freakin awesome :)

I'm not just saying that cause its my product, I absolutely LOVE this piece and stand by it. It makes the whole car feel different, feel "tight"

We'll be releasing more products this upcomming month, we just want to make sure we have the best on the market before releasing them.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
BTW - just came back from a night at the track... While my times were disappointing (I only picked up NO e.t. and 1.25mph from JoeP MBC set to 15psi and the TB racing pulley) - the car feels TONS faster.

I personally think the clocks at our track (Hawaii Raceway Park) are SCREWY - but that may be wishful thinking.

Whatever the Chrondeks say, the drivability improvement of the TB Racing Pulley (faster rev, easier rev-match, etc.) make it a GREAT improvement!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
TB Racing review

Brad kicks a$$. Great customer service, great prices....I don't think I could ask for anything more from a vendor! My order wasn't perfect, but Brad kept me up to date every step of the way and is making sure I'm satisfied before I even get my order.

Golden Suby trophy for Brad and TB Racing! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts