Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im getting a Tanabe cat back exhaust and was wondering if anyone knew the numbers on it?? hp gain and tq gian.. unlike everyone else that doesnt live in cali we are screwed with these strict a$$ emission regulations... no catless downpipe for mee =( i hate those damn regulations im sure alot of other WRX owners do too (that live in cali) also i was wondering about a cold air intake, is there a huge difference from just taking out the resonator and sealing the intake and then buying a dop in KN or buying a AEM or INJEN cold air system?? is it really worth the extra 160=200$ instead of just buying a drop in ???

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Valleyjo,

There have been numerous people say that leaving just one cat (the middle one, for instance) will still allow you to pass emissions. As far as the cold air intake...I've read (don't remember where) that any benefits of a cold air intake is not noticeable for the common person (us). I think that only race setups could actually benefit from something like that.

my $0.20

Rod

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just picked up my exhaust from Wholesale Hyperformance (good comapny) and plan on installing it tomorrow when i get back to Vallejo, i had no problem buying it for a good price and recommend anyone to this company (561$) catback racingmedallion (super) tanabe

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe WRXed is correct about passing emissions with the one Cat. The only problem with this is you still have to face the visual inspection. Lets take this one step further. If you were to get an aftermarket down pipe with a high flow Cat, then gut the third cat you would have the best of both worlds. Should pass emissions you will pass the visual inspection all with removing the flow bottleneck of the Cat. I would strongly recommend buying a mid-pipe (with the third cat) for a back up. Just in case you don't pass emissions. Now the cat on the up-pipe is a little different. I’m not sure if I would want to gut this since it is prior to the turbo. It would be ugly if something came loose and ingested itself in the super-high RPM turbine.....

Just a thought:)

Shawn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts