ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I had a bunch of mods done to my car, a 2013 WRX hatchback, and one of the end results was that I had to remove my front Cusco Strut Tower Brace because of the conflict with the IAG Air Oil Separator mounting location. And even if there wasn't a conflict there, there would also have been one with the Process West Verticooler.

I've had a lot of suspension mods done to my car, including a front and rear strut tower brace. And when I drove the car after the removal of the front brace, I could tell the difference. Despite claims that I wouldn't notice, well, I did, and after passively searching for a solution for months, I found the Tanabe Strut Tower Brace. Someone posted some pictures of a setup similar to mine and this brace had solved the issue for them.

I wanted to post this here so it will hopefully be helpful to someone in the future that has a similar issue. I opted to use a .2 inch aluminum spacer in my install, because I wanted just a little bit more clearance. But, it still fits without it. Not knowing how much the engine moves under hard acceleration and shifts, I wanted to be safer than sorry. I've tested it and run the car as hard as I feel comfortable doing on the street, and there was no rattling or contact of any kind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ignore my "conversation", I'm new to this form. I'll post the text here..

As yours is the only set up that seems to mirror my own (several months of failed Googling and I finally found the right combination of terms to land me here), where did you get your risers from? Also, did you shop for "risers" or "washer" or..? Appreciate your time and contribution here!

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to help!

After some trial and error I ended up buying this size from Summit Racing. Honestly, you could probably stack washers. But, with the lateral forces involved, I figured that a quality piece was cheap enough and hopefully helps with rigidity.

I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Decided to order those spacers. I agree w/ your take on stacked washers. Just had no idea where to get the spacers from. Also, how's the strut bar working for you? Still going strong? Thanks, again!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's great! I love my setup. One mod I added earlier in the year was Whiteline steering rack bushings. That was the icing on the cake.

Other components are Whiteline sways f/r, also their anti-lift kit, GT Worx Bilsteins and RCE blacks. Cusco rear strut bar as well. It's been on the track several times, and it all just works perfectly together.

Glad to help, and I hope it works with your setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered the spacers. Probably still going to get RCE SuperStreet 1s, as well as the f/r WhiteLine sways. Did you have to do any mods to get your rear strut bar in there? My ride doesn't have removable panels back there. Lastly, RCE blacks.. I saw those posted as "Regular Guy" springs. I'm not looking to lower the stock height. Is "black" closer to stock?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends on your setup. Since mine is a hatch, notches need to be cut in the rear cargo area floor card to allow for it. It looks neat enough that way, but I went a step further and had a cover created for it, that slips under a custom sub box. It's all removable to save weight. I can take a pic and post if u want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That'd be cool, if you're wiling to snap a pic! Mine's a 2013 WRX Sedan. The rear strut might wait a bit, figure get the coilovers and sways in there first. I find I like to "over build" and "grow into it." Also, black vs red vs yellow springs. Are the colors for lowering vs stock height?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The color differences are for stiffness. There is a height component as well. The blacks dropped my car about an inch. Great mix of street and track use. Yellows may rattle your fillings on bumps if u daily drive. Depends on what you're looking for. I have to assume that reds would be track only, and bone jarring if you run over a dime. 😅

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may find you don't need it (rear bar) after the sways are in. Seems like the sedan would have more rigidity in the tower areas. But, you can always test one out and send back or re-sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Appreciate your helping w/ all of my questions! One more, if you'll indulge me. Are these coils "red" coils or just red coils? haha
Also, my tuner kinda pointed out that the strut towers were already pretty rigid. Fwiw, I don't have another car to really compare it to.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Call Dan at Mach V (Fast WRX). Talked to him today, actually. Coilovers are different, sometimes they offer different spring pairings, but that set appears fixed. Nice and adjustable, too. With all the other stuff you are doing, your car will be track/street ready.

It might help to talk to them and tell them your goals. They've been helping me with choices for around 6 years and they never try to push you towards sale or clearance stuff. They help you with you goals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know why yours has so much clearance... My Tanabe strut bar just came in and even with four 5/8" grade 8 washers stacked for each stud, it still touches the verticooler.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's really weird. I wonder if there's a different mount for your verticooler than mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Yeah, I used 4 washers per stud and it still wouldn't clear. My verticooler lines up perfectly with the aftermarket hood shroud so I don't think it'll angle back or forth.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could be way off base here, but could it be a loose/weak engine pitch stop mount?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
Could the pitch stop be intact but just slightly enough the wrong dimension?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts